Author Topic: Why Costco rocks for tires  (Read 125287 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Why Costco rocks for tires
« Reply #120 on: November 19, 2018, 09:26:00 am »
You might check out Birchwood Toyota.  They include 3 years tire rotation, rim road hazard and tire road hazard(and also roadside assistance which you probably have with your new truck).  I found the Birchwood group to be very competitive when I bought winters for my Santa Fe and Malibu.
This is where it would be nice if the forum still had location feature
Not sure where Birchwood is, but I guess it is over 300 km round trip from me
Just a little.  They are in Winnipeg.
I would need to add a couple of zero to 300 km lol
Sound like Birchwood  Owns the Peg https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birchwood_Automotive_Group

There are a few.  The other two big conglomerates are Vickar, and Gauthier. Birchwood is owned by the same family who own the Winnipeg Jets: The Chipmans.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2018, 03:07:32 pm »
You're not going to notice the difference between 255 & 275. Go with what is cheaper.

That's what I was thinking.

Would Ford price match PMC?  And do install?  I'd love to pull my new Tundra into a Ford shop, lol.

Why wouldn't they do installs ?

I mean, would they charge for install, or would they match the total price?
Toyota match Costco price, has to be available on line , but their installec price  :o
Try Tirecraft.com

When I bought the Blizzaks in September from Costco what forced my hand was the rebate card and $0 installation. Hopefully they have that promotion next fall.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 19, 2018, 03:18:51 pm »
You're not going to notice the difference between 255 & 275. Go with what is cheaper.

Would Ford price match PMC?  And do install?  I'd love to pull my new Tundra into a Ford shop, lol.

Toyota match Costco price, has to be available on line , but their installec price  :o
Try Tirecraft.com

When I bought the Blizzaks in September from Costco what forced my hand was the rebate card and $0 installation. Hopefully they have that promotion next fall.

I phoned my Toyota dealership, and asked if they would match the All-In price of PMC tire, which is $1366.  In fact, I screwed up and gave them the number at $1466, and they still told me that they couldn't come anywhere close to that.  Like, Seriously?  They don't want my business?  They don't even want to make partial margin on a set of tires?  Whoever their buyer is must be doing a terrible job if their costs are so high they can't match a company that is shipping tires through the mail. 

In the day and age of easy online pricing, companies need to be more than willing to pricematch, or eventually they'll stop selling things.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #123 on: November 19, 2018, 03:22:32 pm »
In the day and age of easy online pricing, companies need to be more than willing to pricematch, or eventually they'll stop selling things.

That is f'n stupid on their part!! I know the FCA dealers here will price-match... and a lot of times they have buy 3 & get the 4th free!
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2018, 03:27:54 pm »
Also, customers need to stop blindly buying tires from their dealer just because its convenient.

When my Mom bought her Land Rover, she inquired about a winter tire package.  Her dealership wanted something stupid like $3000 for a set of LR rims, tires, sensors and Install.  I said eff that, and priced out some X-Ice tires with a nice set of after-market Alloys, and sensors for a much more reasonable $1800 from Costco. 

Oh, and get this:  The Toyota dealership said theirs was a better deal because it's a 'Toyota' Steel wheel as opposed to a 'regular' steel wheel.  Like, seriously?  A steel wheel is a steel wheel.  I don't give a crap if its Toyota or not.  Like, how stupid do they think I am?!?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #125 on: November 19, 2018, 03:52:22 pm »
The generic steel wheels will void your engine warranty.  :rofl2:

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #126 on: November 19, 2018, 04:53:56 pm »
well, not really, but they may prevent you from having a smooth no-bump ride.  :D
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #127 on: November 19, 2018, 05:09:50 pm »
well, not really, but they may prevent you from having a smooth no-bump ride.  :D

only Hercules Tire can provide smooth-no-bump ride at proper inflation, you know that!!!.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #128 on: November 19, 2018, 05:36:04 pm »

Try Tirecraft.com

I phoned my Toyota dealership, and asked if they would match the All-In price of PMC tire, which is $1366.  In fact, I screwed up and gave them the number at $1466, and they still told me that they couldn't come anywhere close to that.  Like, Seriously?  They don't want my business?  They don't even want to make partial margin on a set of tires?  Whoever their buyer is must be doing a terrible job if their costs are so high they can't match a company that is shipping tires through the mail. 

Does the company you work for price match ?
Are they happy when their price gets shopped ?
Everyone has their bottom line

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #129 on: November 19, 2018, 07:04:51 pm »
Factory steel wheels are RIDICULOUSLY overpriced, holy hell.  They'll give you some song and dance, but the reality is that the ones from Costco are 95% as good (or the same) and 25% of the price.  The Costco steelies on the HL have seven winters on them, look great, have held up perfectly.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 19, 2018, 08:12:54 pm »

Try Tirecraft.com

Does the company you work for price match ?
Are they happy when their price gets shopped ?
Everyone has their bottom line

We try to stay competitive.  We are also not a retail outfit.  And if I knew what my competitors price was on a job, yes, I would drop mine to make a sale.however, construction doesn't work that way.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #131 on: November 19, 2018, 08:40:02 pm »
GBA,  you might also try this place.
Railton
https://www.canadawheels.ca/
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #132 on: November 20, 2018, 10:59:33 am »
Factory steel wheels are RIDICULOUSLY overpriced, holy hell.  They'll give you some song and dance, but the reality is that the ones from Costco are 95% as good (or the same) and 25% of the price.  The Costco steelies on the HL have seven winters on them, look great, have held up perfectly.

I actually found the OEM steel wheels from the dealer to be very competitively priced compared with universal fit for my wife's Acadia. An added bonus is that they are hub centric unlike a lot of universal wheels that are lug centric.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 20, 2018, 11:24:00 am »
I’m worried, the Michelin Latitude X-Ice sold out, wonder if I should just bite the bullet on the Blizzak and forego the rebate? It is still the best price in town, everywhere else sells them $30-50 higher and won’t price match Costco.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 20, 2018, 11:32:25 am »
Oh the Latitudes are back. Odd.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #135 on: November 20, 2018, 11:37:09 am »
Oh the Latitudes are back. Odd.

For a heavy SUV I would hold out for the DMV2s. So far they have been very impressive on the LR4.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #136 on: November 20, 2018, 11:41:09 am »
Stock on costcos web site updates as shipments from the makers arrive. So if they're gone today, they might be back. Or not. My local store was able to see all the shipments and could tell me if more were in the pipeline, not sure if that's still true. Try calling them or going the counter, might be worth a try.

I can say enough about the DM-V2. They're freakin' awesome.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 20, 2018, 11:43:30 am »
I'm actually wondering if I should go with X-Ice.  It's not as if I need to absolutely 100% superior traction of the Blizzaks to get going through deep snow anymore, as that is what 4x4 is for.  Mostly, what I'm looking for is security on ice and generally slippery conditions.  The extra treadwear rating of the X-Ice could be appreciated.

Thoughts?

OR, for the same price as the BLizzak DM-V2's, I could get a set of studded Hankook I-Pike RW-11.  Not sure I'm willing to put up with the noise from studded tires, though.

Maybe I'll just stick with the Blizzaks.  I've had great success with them over the last few years.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 11:46:44 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #138 on: November 20, 2018, 11:49:25 am »
I'm actually wondering if I should go with X-Ice.  It's not as if I need to absolutely 100% superior traction of the Blizzaks to get going through deep snow anymore, as that is what 4x4 is for.  Mostly, what I'm looking for is security on ice and generally slippery conditions.  The extra treadwear rating of the X-Ice could be appreciated.

Thoughts?

OR, for the same price as the BLizzak DM-V2's, I could get a set of studded Hankook I-Pike RW-11.  Not sure I'm willing to put up with the noise from studded tires, though.

Maybe I'll just stick with the Blizzaks.  I've had great success with them over the last few years.
What is on the truck now ?

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #139 on: November 20, 2018, 11:50:49 am »

Thoughts?

I hated the X-ice on my Wrangler, even in 4 wheel drive they were crappy in deeper snow. But they did excel on ice and generally slippery conditions. I have the Toyo GSi-5's on my JGC and find them to equally as good on ice & slippery conditions, but MUCH better in deeper snow. And the treadwear has been decent, I picked them up used (1 winter only) and they were at ~11-12mm deep and now they're at 9mm deep after I've used them for 2 winters (~16,000kms).

Actually the Toyo's get the same ranking as the X-ice and are suited for heavier vehicles like your truck https://www.apa.ca/wintertire_reviews.asp

« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 11:53:16 am by Gurgie »