Author Topic: Why Costco rocks for tires  (Read 125152 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Why Costco rocks for tires
« on: April 15, 2018, 12:10:55 am »
I bought some Michelins for the Ridgeline. I tried to give locals a chance but no one was within $150. Ordered online, shop called 5 days later, appointment made and tires installed on loose wheels. Painless. Other than perhaps a little too much weight (enough time determining tire and wheel heavy spots?) used I am happy (Not on truck yet).

Here is the kicker. Three weeks later I see an ad for a Costco $70 in house rebate on purchases of 4 Michelins. Emailed customer service and had the rebate credited to my credit card the next day. Painless.

Now $220 cheaper than local.

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
Re: Why Costco rocks for tires
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 12:24:33 am »
Double edged sword in my opinion.

Big box stores will always be cheaper simply due to economy of scale. I don't know where you live, but do you want to live in a community surrounded exclusively by Walmart, Costco, and other "USA" behemoths?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 01:22:31 am »

Big box stores will always be cheaper simply due to economy of scale. I don't know where you live, but do you want to live in a community surrounded exclusively by Walmart, Costco, and other "USA" behemoths?
My local tire dealer..family owned...told me to go to Costco the next time I wanted tires.

Why? Because I complained about a tire out of balance and a center cap they broke.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +7/-157
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Scion xB
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 01:35:21 am »
I started going to Kal Tire. 

A very good guy at crappy tire suggest Kal.   Nokian only available here?

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 01:50:30 am »
I had a puncture this winter after driving over a piece of metal making the tire unrepairable. I brought the damaged tire in and Costco replaced the tire without question the following day at no cost to me other than $5 for the enviro fee. The tire was on its 3rd winter season of use.

That experience pretty much says it all for me and I just went ahead and purchased a new set of all-seasons from them last week. I find Costco no nonsense and straightforward to deal with and I've purchased tires everywhere including online, local independents and major franchises.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 02:20:10 am »

My local Michelin dealer lives in a rich neighborhood of $5 million dollar  homes. He has gotten rich off of tire margins lol.

They pulled something greasy with a tire repair about 5 years ago and I have not looked back.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 07:31:33 am »
The last time I got tires for the truck , there was only about $30 difference between Costco and Tirecraft on a set of Michelin tires
It is about 60 km drive to Costco and only 2.5 km drive to Tirecraft

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 08:52:15 am »
The last time I got tires for the truck , there was only about $30 difference between Costco and Tirecraft on a set of Michelin tires
It is about 60 km drive to Costco and only 2.5 km drive to Tirecraft
Based on online prices for my MDX, tirecraft has more variety and price for some reason. Costco only has two to three available for my size, 255/55/18.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 09:27:43 am »
Costco has limited variety but they typically have the best price on the tires they do carry.  The #1 reason I buy all our tires at Costco is that they stand behind the product regardless of the manufacturer.

As for Costco being like WalMart, not even close.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 09:35:43 am »
for me, Wall to Wall Tires has served me well for the last 10 or so years

best prices all the time for what I am looking for, even better than Costo...and worth the short drive to a warehouse in the middle of nowhere in Greely

shopping for new all-seasons for the Saab right now, and for General AS-05s, they beat everyone - earned my business again
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 11:17:49 am »

My local tire dealer..family owned...told me to go to Costco the next time I wanted tires.

Why? Because I complained about a tire out of balance and a center cap they broke.
Costco broke two centre caps when they installed the S04s on my Mustang. The OEM caps are $40 each.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Costco on Merivale and Hunt Club in Ottawa scratched my rims.

Goldwing Autocare, a local shop, were very close to Costco's price for my winter tires. They also use a Hunter Roadforce balancer so I went with the local guy this past winter.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 11:21:04 am »
I like Goldwing, good service when i went there.

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 11:57:23 am »
Whenever someone asks me about buying tires I normally tell them to go to Costco. Personally I go to a local mom and pop shop though.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 12:26:47 pm »

Only thing I don't like is that they always try to sell you Yokohama tires, saying they're superior to the tire you want to buy, but I just politely decline. They are an official Yokohama dealer afterall.

Whenever someone asks me about buying tires I normally tell them to go to Costco. Personally I go to a local mom and pop shop though.

I say the same. For most people Costco is fine with good warranties and competitive pricing. Its also easy for them to order online and just show up for their scheduled appointment.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 12:28:43 pm by 1FGC »

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2018, 02:19:25 pm »

Costco broke two centre caps when they installed the S04s on my Mustang. The OEM caps are $40 each.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Did you ask them to replace them?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2018, 09:43:24 pm »

Only thing I don't like is that they always try to sell you Yokohama tires, saying they're superior to the tire you want to buy, but I just politely decline. They are an official Yokohama dealer afterall.

I say the same. For most people Costco is fine with good warranties and competitive pricing. Its also easy for them to order online and just show up for their scheduled appointment.

Yes for an appliance like the Ridgeline Costco is just fine. It generally hasn't required Roadforce balanced tires etc. The best about Costco is when I return in 8 years with my Michelins at 8/32s but suffering from dry rot cracking they will give me 75% of my money back  ;D

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 09:56:22 pm »
For most cars on the road, Costco does a great job.  A Corvette?  Ah, nah.  But my old Highlander?  Costco is more than fine.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 12:53:22 pm »
I started going to Kal Tire. 
I used to sing praises about KalTire, especially since they'll beat Costco's price by 5%.

...but the last one I went to (Milton) put brand new Xi3s on the Fozzie, inflated them to 30psi all-around (the door jamb clearly states 32psi front, 30psi rear) and torqued them to 100lb-ft :o (manual says 72lb-ft)!!!  Worst was that the guy rounded one of the lugnuts, so he replaced it without telling me - got home to see one that's 16mm instead of the 12mm stock.

I still haven't driven back to get the right one put on, and it looks dumb, but is functional.  Angers me that they could employ someone so negligent to do work on tires.

Costco in Guelph has been flawless for me, but it did take about 2 hours to get my wheels done back in September (which was clearly "low tide"...but they only had one guy working and he needed a donut break - I like watching while work is done to my cars ;) ).

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 03:19:56 pm »

Angers me that they could employ someone so negligent to do work on tires.

Didn't you put a set of tires on a car that nearly fell off?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 03:26:26 pm »
Can we change the thread's title to "Why Costco rocks for tires and ice cream"?  ;D

I bought some winters from Costco a few years ago and they installed them. The whole experience was painless.
I did have an issue with them the one time. They wouldn't put snow tires we bought on the car because they weren't the same speed rating as the OEM summers.