Author Topic: Why Costco rocks for tires  (Read 125151 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: Why Costco rocks for tires
« Reply #400 on: October 30, 2019, 06:47:27 pm »
I was wondering why I have not considered Michelins for winter as  I use them almost exclusively for spring/summer/fall. I recall the original Michelin Alpins howling horribly on wet pavement with my Contour SVT, perhaps that embedded a deep seeded mistrust of  winter Michelins. I am sure they are as good as the Blizzaks.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #401 on: October 30, 2019, 07:44:14 pm »
I was wondering why I have not considered Michelins for winter as  I use them almost exclusively for spring/summer/fall. I recall the original Michelin Alpins howling horribly on wet pavement with my Contour SVT, perhaps that embedded a deep seeded mistrust of  winter Michelins. I am sure they are as good as the Blizzaks.

Yeah, I remember that noise well on my Subaru OBW.  Convinced myself at the time it was he sound of reassurance.   ;D

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #402 on: October 31, 2019, 10:44:51 am »
i can say, the X-IceIII tires are excellent tires in terms of being comfortable and quiet...there's no snow/ice here yet, so i'll add comments later in the season, but i really like these tires.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #403 on: October 31, 2019, 10:51:24 am »
i can say, the X-IceIII tires are excellent tires in terms of being comfortable and quiet...there's no snow/ice here yet, so i'll add comments later in the season, but i really like these tires.

I'm not a fan of them in the snow, otherwise they're fantastic in the cold, wet & icy conditions, and as you described comfortable & quiet.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 31, 2019, 03:28:13 pm »

I'm not a fan of them in the snow, otherwise they're fantastic in the cold, wet & icy conditions, and as you described comfortable & quiet.
yea, i can't really comment on their winter performance as that stuff isn't here yet...my Blizzaks were beasts in the snow, so i'm hoping these are quite decent too...we have these on our Sorento and that thing is a beast in the snow, but it's also AWD, so that certainly helps too.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: November 01, 2019, 08:23:11 am »

yea, i can't really comment on their winter performance as that stuff isn't here yet...my Blizzaks were beasts in the snow, so i'm hoping these are quite decent too...we have these on our Sorento and that thing is a beast in the snow, but it's also AWD, so that certainly helps too.

Yeah, we run them on Bella's RWD BMW 323i and I was less than impressed with them in the snow, everywhere else they were excellent... I know Angry Chicken had the same experience with them as well on his car (think it was his 320i), but on the Sorento with AWD they will be great. Will be interesting though to hear your comparison to the Blizzaks as I felt they were always better in the snow.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #406 on: November 01, 2019, 08:51:10 am »
Step-daughter needs new winters, so checked out Costco this morning.
Blizzaks are $816,  X-Ice are $724 and you get a $70 Costco card... I'm a big Blizzak slappy but for the $160 difference i'd get the Michelin's

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #407 on: November 01, 2019, 09:00:04 am »
Blizzaks are $816,  X-Ice are $724 and you get a $70 Costco card... I'm a big Blizzak slappy but for the $160 difference i'd get the Michelin's

Huh, it wasn't too long ago that the Blizzaks were quite a bit cheaper than X-Ice.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 01, 2019, 09:08:13 am »

What about here? https://www.4tires.ca/  I find them usually cheaper than Costco.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 01, 2019, 09:25:19 am »

For the $40/yr extra I'd get the Blizzaks.  But I am often driving in snow.

Gotta figure the WS-90s are pricier because they are a new model.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #410 on: November 01, 2019, 09:47:36 am »
The WS-80s were cheap. The WS-90 probably has a better and more expensive tread compound.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #411 on: November 01, 2019, 10:19:25 am »

Yeah i forgot the 90's are out now so makes sense they would be more $$.
I bet the $70 giftcard will be on the Blizzaks in December, so could wait for that... but we tend to have more ice down here with freeze & thaws, so the Michelin's would be better for that

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 01, 2019, 12:54:25 pm »

Yeah, we run them on Bella's RWD BMW 323i and I was less than impressed with them in the snow, everywhere else they were excellent... I know Angry Chicken had the same experience with them as well on his car (think it was his 320i), but on the Sorento with AWD they will be great. Will be interesting though to hear your comparison to the Blizzaks as I felt they were always better in the snow.
yea, once we get some snow here, i'll provide some updates...my Blizzaks were great, although the last couple of years i could tell they needed replacing (likely less tread depth and perhaps different tire compound once you are below half depth?)...i won't fault them though as the first 5 years they were awesome.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #413 on: November 01, 2019, 09:10:46 pm »

Do you have blizzaks on your car? I'd be curious to swap cars and try blizzaks vs hakkas sometime this winter.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 01, 2019, 09:52:45 pm »
Yeah. I have WS-80s that are going into their third season.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 10, 2019, 01:33:59 am »
It was icy as heck out there, but boy did my X-Ice perform. Acceleration, turning, stopping, all so so good.

If the new Blizzak WS90 did indeed increase ice traction to meet or exceed X-Ice 3, that’s quite the feat. Competition is good.

There is another tire I thought was interesting, Cooper Discoverer True North which claims to be great for drivers who deal with mostly slush and black ice ie. in milder climates. Slush has been challenging to most of the winter tires I’ve driven in and only Nokian WRG2 (haven’t tried G3 or G4) and Nordman WRs seem to have handled slush quite well.

Anyway, shot of the X-Ice Xi3 which we have in both the 3 and the Matrix.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #416 on: November 10, 2019, 10:11:21 am »
There is another tire I thought was interesting, Cooper Discoverer True North which claims to be great for drivers who deal with mostly slush and black ice ie. in milder climates.

Funny as I was looking at this tire last night as I saw it on The Fast Lane Cars winter tire test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzGN6cxL1Mg

Looking at pricing online it seems that my size (225/45/17) is way above all the other sizes which makes it more expensive than either the X-Ice3 or WS90.

I'm still going to drop my shop an email and see what price they can give me.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #417 on: November 10, 2019, 12:17:28 pm »
Yeah, Edmonton and area roads were horrendous yesterday, and the missus reports the WS-90s are fantastic. No issues getting around at all, the car felt totally secure. Can she say they're better than the 80s?  No, but they're at least as good, and perhaps better.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 10, 2019, 03:30:51 pm »
There is another tire I thought was interesting, Cooper Discoverer True North which claims to be great for drivers who deal with mostly slush and black ice ie. in milder climates.

Funny as I was looking at this tire last night as I saw it on The Fast Lane Cars winter tire test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzGN6cxL1Mg

Looking at pricing online it seems that my size (225/45/17) is way above all the other sizes which makes it more expensive than either the X-Ice3 or WS90.

lol...if you watch that video, read the comments...the 2nd reply on the 2nd comment is NormT.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 11, 2019, 10:01:28 am »

Pretty cool. Too bad none of the big players submitted tires to compare.

It’s competitive in 195/65R15:
Cooper Discoverer True North $124 (1010Tire)
Michelin X-Ice Xi3 $128 (Costco)
Bridgestone Blizzak WS90 $120 (Costco)
Pirelli Winter Ice Zero FR $120 (Costco)
BFGoodrich Winter T/A KSI $130 (Costco)
Nokia’s Hakkapeliitta R3 $145 (Kal Tire)

lol...if you watch that video, read the comments...the 2nd reply on the 2nd comment is NormT.

Lol. Thought he was going to respond that with Buicks, you don’t need winter tires.

Skating rinks are good but don’t let you test higher speed stuff.