Author Topic: Why Costco rocks for tires  (Read 125306 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Why Costco rocks for tires
« Reply #160 on: November 20, 2018, 06:48:50 pm »
Was that the year it came to Canada?

Anyways, in 1988 stock price was $6.20 USD

Today $220. USD

So doing the math and with all the splits....you'd have started off with 161 shares if you invested $1000 USD.  With all the splits, you'd have 967 shares now..or $212,740.

Oh, I know, I know... :-[

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 20, 2018, 06:54:45 pm »

Anyways, in 1988 stock price was $6.20 USD

Today $220. USD

So doing the math and with all the splits....you'd have started off with 161 shares if you invested $1000 USD.  With all the splits, you'd have 967 shares now..or $212,740.

Oh, I know, I know... :-[

My favorite is Nike.  $1000 investment at IPO is worth $52 million.   :o
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #162 on: November 20, 2018, 07:59:02 pm »
I have been a member since 1986 which I believe was the year it first came to Calgary. They used to have an impressive stack of tires inside the store unlike the setup today with a tire centre.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #163 on: November 21, 2018, 05:18:20 pm »
Thought I'd do a general Blizzak vs X-Ice comparison for people on the fence.

Dry roads: X-Ice
Wet roads: X-Ice
Light snow: Draw
Deep snow: Blizzak
Wet (below freezing to -6*C) ice: X-Ice
Ice (below -6*C): Draw
Slush: Blizzak
Longevity: X-Ice

Conclusion:
Buy X-Ice if you're in Southwestern BC, Toronto, and the Atlantic Coast, or the vehicle usually stays in an urban environment where streets are usually plowed.
Buy Blizzak if you're anywhere else in this country.

I have to note that Blizzak loses its multi-cell compound after about 50-60% tread which is about the time any winter tire loses its snow capabilities anyway, so you can use it as an all season tire until minimum tread at that point. X-Ice on the other hand retains its ice traction even when it gets to minimum tread.

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 21, 2018, 05:27:04 pm »
That sounds about right. Thanks for writing it up.

I always wonder how the Pirelli FR and Conti Si would fit in the mix.  Near as I can tell, outside of Nokian, those are the only two tires competitive with the big two.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 21, 2018, 05:33:30 pm »
Did anyone here get the Pirelli FRs when Costco was offering 1 cent installation and $80 cash card?

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-1199
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #166 on: November 21, 2018, 05:36:30 pm »
Did anyone here get the Pirelli FRs when Costco was offering 1 cent installation and $80 cash card?

I did! They are excellent in all conditions. Very comfortable ride, low nois level and surprising grip in snow, sleet and on Ice. Really pleased with them.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #167 on: November 21, 2018, 05:39:55 pm »
I have to note that Blizzak loses its multi-cell compound after about 50-60% tread which is about the time any winter tire loses its snow capabilities anyway, so you can use it as an all season tire until minimum tread at that point.

I didn't think this was true anymore or did I hear wrong?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 21, 2018, 05:44:01 pm »
I have to note that Blizzak loses its multi-cell compound after about 50-60% tread which is about the time any winter tire loses its snow capabilities anyway, so you can use it as an all season tire until minimum tread at that point.

I didn't think this was true anymore or did I hear wrong?

It's still true as far as I understand it.

Blizzak WS (Winter Studless) and DM (Dueler Multicel) tires feature dual tread compounds consisting of outer tread cap and underlying base compounds. When viewed through a microscope, the outer Blizzak Multicell compound resembles the appearance of Swiss cheese because it contains millions of uniformly distributed microscopic pores that are constantly being exposed as the tread surface wears. In addition to providing thousands of miniature biting edges, these pores help wick away the thin layer of water that often develops on top of snow packed and icy roads, allowing the biting edges to better adhere to the surface for more traction. The underlying base compound is a standard winter tread compound.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #169 on: November 21, 2018, 05:46:18 pm »
^ Thanks

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #170 on: November 21, 2018, 06:58:51 pm »
I’d like to go with the Conti SIs next time, depending on how they price out. X-ice is always tempting, but I’m concerned about slush, which we get a fair bit of here.

My WS-80s have been great, but I’m thinking the Conti SIs might be greater. Or maybe there will be something else new and exciting next fall.

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Miata, 16 Malibu Premier, 19 Buick Enclave Avenir
« Reply #171 on: November 21, 2018, 11:16:12 pm »
I'm actually wondering if I should go with X-Ice.  It's not as if I need to absolutely 100% superior traction of the Blizzaks to get going through deep snow anymore, as that is what 4x4 is for.  Mostly, what I'm looking for is security on ice and generally slippery conditions.  The extra treadwear rating of the X-Ice could be appreciated.

Thoughts?

OR, for the same price as the BLizzak DM-V2's, I could get a set of studded Hankook I-Pike RW-11.  Not sure I'm willing to put up with the noise from studded tires, though.

Maybe I'll just stick with the Blizzaks.  I've had great success with them over the last few years.
We have X-Ice on both our daily drivers and I'm very happy with the X-Ice.  Because I minus sized, the ride is improved. :)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 22, 2018, 01:06:01 am »
I do find it odd the Michelins would not be good in slush.

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #173 on: November 22, 2018, 01:30:09 am »
I do find it odd the Michelins would not be good in slush.

Well, they start with less tread depth than the Blizzaks and I would think deeper tread is an advantage in slush. And just looking at them, it seems there is a bit less void area in the tread to disperse slush.

Maybe they’re fine in slush, but I’ve read otherwise. I’ve never heard of anyone actually testing in slush, though, so it’s all just anecdotes off the Internet. Still, I’d be curious to give them a try. They certainly do other stuff well. I was pretty close to buying them last time, but the WS-80s were significantly cheaper.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #174 on: November 22, 2018, 07:28:48 am »
^  Well, I've got X-Ice3s on the Lexus and they handle slushy conditions extremely well, and the main reason i bought them.  With all the salt and brine they use around here snowfall usually turns to slush instantaneously.  It gets really icy around here as well and the Michelin's really excel in both those conditions.  Last Friday I drove ~300km round trip to a funeral with a carload of people  in near blizzard conditions both ways and the Michelins tracked like a champ!  Never saw the traction light come on the entire trip.  Everyone in the car was extremely impressed.

YMMV!

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #175 on: November 22, 2018, 07:39:58 am »
i've had both Michelins and Bridgestone winter tires (X-IceII, X-IceIII and WS70)...i find both to be great...you really can't go wrong with either...the only reason i got the Bridgestones for my Rio5 is because they were the ones on sale when i bought them and don't regret it at all...they are on their 6th winter hand still have 6.5mm of tread depth left...this is likely their last season though.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #176 on: November 22, 2018, 07:48:03 am »
i've had both Michelins and Bridgestone winter tires (X-IceII, X-IceIII and WS70)...i find both to be great...you really can't go wrong with either...the only reason i got the Bridgestones for my Rio5 is because they were the ones on sale when i bought them and don't regret it at all...they are on their 6th winter hand still have 6.5mm of tread depth left...this is likely their last season though.

I agree with this.  The Bridgestones were actually a little cheaper than the Michelins when i was buying.  The reason i went with the Michelins is most reviews i read said the Bridgestones were a little rougher and noisier in dry conditions, which is about 95% of the time.  The Michelins seem to be quieter than my summers. 

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #177 on: November 22, 2018, 08:49:43 am »
I've found you can't go wrong with a good quality winter tire... period.

I've had:

Nokians, awesome and lasted forever! Had to get rid of them because the rubber dried out.
Gislaved's awesome as well, worked great on my Volvo... but it was an AWD wagon, so it just went.
Yokohama Ice Guard 51's,  made my Altima a winter beast and were great in deep snow & ice.
Xice 2, didn't like them in deep snow, but they were great on ice and cold dry pavement and the quietest of the bunch.
Xice 3, these are on Bella's car right now, not impressed with the deeper snow traction, but they still get the car moving (RWD only), the stop, turn and handle decent. They're quiet and they do perform well on ice & cold dry pavement.
Toyo GSi5, currently on the JGC and they're great in all situations... not as quiet as the Xice 2 or 3, but I find they perform just as well on ice & cold dry pavement, a little squishy on the handling part, but I've also gone down to an 18" wheel & have a lot more sidewall compared to the 20's I run in the summer. And they're awesome in deep snow... I'd get these tires ahead of the Xice 3's for sure... and since they're cheaper than Blizzaks, I'd get them instead as well.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 22, 2018, 10:29:37 am »
I've had a terrible experience with Toyo Observe G-02 Plus before, I'd be reluctant to go back. Ranking of tires I loved the best:

1. Michelin X-Ice Xi2
2. Yokahama iceGuard iG20
3. Bridgestone Blizzak WS60
4. Pirelli Winter Carving
5. Nordman WR

Horrible mentions:
- Toyo Observe G-02 Plus
- Hankook i*Pike can't remember the model.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #179 on: November 23, 2018, 11:15:06 am »
Oh, I looked at the OEM tires on my Tundra.  They are an optional tire that comes equipped with the TRD Offroad and TRD Pro packages, and are Michelin LTX AT2's, in 275/65R18.

I've been reading reviews and by all accounts they are one of the worst tires in winter conditions, which only reaffirms my decision to put dedicated winter tires on.