Author Topic: 2019 Lexus UX  (Read 13986 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Lexus UX
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 04:49:07 pm »
Lexus is perhaps overdue to produce a small luxury crossover, in the vein of the hot-selling Buick Encore (which is a tiny bit smaller). And like the Buick Encore, it has a lower-tier brand counterpart: the Toyota C-HR, which is to the UX as the Chevy Trax is to the Encore. But enough about the Buick. What's the 2019 Lexus UX all about?

For one, it is almost as outré as the C-HR, which is perhaps more radical because it's a lowly Toyota. Graced with a spindle grille and interior fixings that are influenced by, Lexus says, traditional Japanese crafts, it appears to be every contemporary Lexus trope combined into one compact vehicle — just 177 inches long in total, or about 5 inches shorter than a contemporary Corolla. That'll be good for the urbanites the UX is intended to woo, who need to park in tight spots.

For wider, more open spaces, there are two powertrain choices. The 2019 Lexus UX 200 is one of the first applications of the new Dynamic Force Engine, a 2.0-liter inline-four with extreme thermal efficiency: 40 percent, Toyota claims. Read more about that engine (and the Direct Shift CVT, which the UX 200 also utilizes). The bottom line is, for the driver, the engines will be more fuel efficient and produce 168 horsepower, which represents an increase of 24 horsepower over the C-HR platform-mate, a sizable jump.

The Direct Shift CVT should prove to be a more important improvement, offering more natural response when starting off from a stop. Anyone with CVT experience knows that this isn't a strong suit of that transmission type, even with years of attention paid to refining the experience. It's nice to see the sort of clever, driver-focused engineering that created the bizarre Lexus LC "10-speed" found in the LC 500h, which uses an e-CVT and a conventional automatic. It sounds strange and complex, but it works beautifully. We expect Direct Shift CVTs to be a serious improvement over the company's e-CVTs, and can't wait to test this aspect of the UX 200.

The UX 250h snags the Dynamic Force engine and slaps a new hybrid system into it. Lexus expects the total output to be about 176 horsepower, which takes into account a rear axle electric motor (which makes the UX 250h all-wheel drive). That rear motor can accept up to 80 percent of available power at up to 43 miles per hour. It's not clear from the specs provided if the gasoline engine output differs from the UX 200.

The UX range will also include a range of active safety features, such as a Pre-Collision System that utilizes radar to detect pedestrians and bicyclists. It also offers the intriguing Predictive Efficient drive system in the hybrid, which uses learning algorithms and locational data to boost regenerative braking functionality in places where a driver is known to have stopped frequently. It's unclear, in numerical terms, how much this system can increase efficiency or regeneration, and it probably depends on the individual circumstances of the user.

Finally, there's an F Sport version available in both UX 200 and 250h. It includes retuned suspension (or optional Adaptive Variable Suspension), a unique rear bumper design, 18-inch alloy wheels, and some jet black moldings. Inside you get sport front seats, an F Sport steering wheel, and aluminum pedals. Interestingly, if you want your F Sport-equipped UX to sound like it has a conventional automatic, you can use Active Sound Control to simulate the sound of up- and downshifts. We'll have to experience that particular feature to assess if it's worth a hill of beans.

Both hybrid and conventional UXs go on sale in the fall in the United States, but pricing hasn't been announced yet.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 04:53:27 pm »
As a replacement for the CT and the availability of AWD (CH-R has no AWD), I'd imagine they are going to sell a boat load of these....

« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 04:55:06 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 04:58:01 pm »
As a replacement for the CT and the availability of AWD (CH-R not AWD), I'd imagine they are going to sell a boat load of these....

Many more in Canada than the US (percentage-of-the-line-up-wise). Another reason being a presumably super efficient 2.0L hybrid setup. And its form factor will definitely be a plus.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 05:11:07 pm »
As a replacement for the CT and the availability of AWD (CH-R not AWD), I'd imagine they are going to sell a boat load of these....

Many more in Canada than the US (percentage-of-the-line-up-wise). Another reason being a presumably super efficient 2.0L hybrid setup. And its form factor will definitely be a plus.

Interested to see what type of numbers both new engines put up...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 05:13:16 pm »

It's in my second post... for NA engine anyway.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 05:20:49 pm »

I meant MPG.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 05:23:49 pm »
I think there is definitely a strong market for this type of thing. My daughter in Vancouver is always going on about how her Rogue is too big and she wants something more compact.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 05:24:49 pm »
I think there is definitely a strong market for this type of thing. My daughter in Vancouver is always going on about how her Rogue is too big and she wants something more compact.

Plus hybrid, AWD and 40ish MPG?

Yes...I could see this being a big hit. 

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 05:41:59 pm »
Seems great, but smaller than an NX? That could be one tiny car on the inside

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 06:02:57 pm »
I realize that SUVs/CUVs are popular, but holy how many different models does one manufacturer need?  I'm not directing this at Lexus specifically, but just industry in general.  This will be Lexus' 6th model will it not? 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 07:47:26 pm »
Exactly.  There’s logic to two or three per manufacturer, after that, it’s just dilution. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 08:35:37 pm »
I realize that SUVs/CUVs are popular, but holy how many different models does one manufacturer need?  I'm not directing this at Lexus specifically, but just industry in general.  This will be Lexus' 6th model will it not?

Because these are the models that are growing in sales...so they are giving consumers what they want....milking it for all they can.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 08:40:05 pm »
Seems great, but smaller than an NX? That could be one tiny car on the inside

It's about the size of a compact or a hatchback....but in CUV form.

I bet it's about the same size as your Vibe interior wise.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 09:58:31 pm »

I meant MPG.

If it gets a Li-ion battery it should post 5-6L/100km, which is a huge selling point when premium is at $1.25+ around here.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 10:02:53 pm »
The UX is a luxury CHR which is a CUV version of the Yaris. Similar in passenger size, the CUVs have a larger cargo area more like a compact.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2018, 10:13:53 pm »

Plus hybrid, AWD and 40ish MPG?

Yes...I could see this being a big hit.

AWD?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2018, 10:14:41 pm »
The UX is a luxury CHR which is a CUV version of the Yaris. Similar in passenger size, the CUVs have a larger cargo area more like a compact.

I think C-HR is wider than the Yaris, or at least it looks so...

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2018, 10:35:48 pm »

Because these are the models that are growing in sales...so they are giving consumers what they want....milking it for all they can.
[/quote

Meh.  All that is next now is a smart car sized SUV to fill the two seater SUV void.   ::)

IMHO, Lexus is taking the segment a little too far with six variants, but that's just me.   

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2018, 10:40:05 pm »
They are not unique.  Many car companies have more SUV than cars.

Infiniti even has 5 SUV they identify as specific models...

Wish there were more cars....but the segment is hot right now...so that's what they're going after.