Author Topic: 2018 Volkswagen Golf Sportwagen 4motion Trendline 6MT 1.8TSI  (Read 52878 times)

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Re: 2018 Volkswagen Golf Sportwagen 4motion Trendline 6MT 1.8TSI
« Reply #260 on: February 18, 2023, 05:29:05 pm »
Vw offered .9% financing when I bought the thing... I still can't believe I got an AWD reasonably spec'd car for under 30k all in (taxes, fees, everything). These days... good luck

When we were looking at them back in 2020 the leftover 2019's were an amazing deal as VW was blowing them out. We just could not locate a base model without the pano roof. There were also lots of lightly used 2019's (ex rentals?) around that were even better deals.

Was very tempted, looks like we would have been happy with it

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #261 on: February 18, 2023, 06:37:28 pm »
Nice update. I still really like these wagons. They really do have a good use of functional space for a small footprint.

I thought about selling the car during the covid frenzy since I don't really need it, but even if I got 15k for it I can't think of a better car in the current landscape.

I don't know how easy these sell on the used market but i see many in my area listed above the mid $20's for a base model.

Online pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #262 on: February 19, 2023, 01:51:45 pm »
Thanks folks. Indeed looks like it is worth more than I thought; there's really nothing else like it on the market (especially if you want a manual), other than the ever-popular crosstrek. With the increased power in the sport it'd definitely be a harder choice between the two units, but I'm very happy with what I ended up.

Vw offered .9% financing when I bought the thing... I still can't believe I got an AWD reasonably spec'd car for under 30k all in (taxes, fees, everything). These days... good luck

When we were looking at them back in 2020 the leftover 2019's were an amazing deal as VW was blowing them out. We just could not locate a base model without the pano roof. There were also lots of lightly used 2019's (ex rentals?) around that were even better deals.

Was very tempted, looks like we would have been happy with it

I avoided the pano roof myself too; sometimes I regret that, but I also put things on the roof so it's likely better I ended up without, but the upgraded seats and airiness of the pano roof would be nice.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #263 on: February 19, 2023, 02:44:08 pm »

Pretty good for a made in Mexico vw  ;D

Are you saying "don't fear the vw?"
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #264 on: February 19, 2023, 02:53:06 pm »
Yes, nice update, and cool car.  :thumbup:  Wagon is my favorite spec of the breed, and the 1.8T is the one to get, no?  I believe the only car available today that can close to offering that spec is the Crosstrek..?  This car might hold it's value really well in the coming years.   :-\

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 19, 2023, 03:17:57 pm »
Yeah, too bad VW discontinued these. Other than the Crosstrek, I don't think there is really anything left in this category or price bracket. They are all CUVs now.

Online pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 02, 2024, 09:07:50 pm »
So perhaps I spoke too soon about this car being reliable and loving it  ;D

I'm starting to see bubbling on both rear fenders, so it'll likely rust soon. Based on my experience with VW in the past they take forever to deal with body claims. I spoke to a dealer and they suggested waiting a bit longer so that the rust is properly visible on the pictures, but it looks like it is similar to what is usually covered.

Certainly doesn't bode well for longevity!

And I'm back, two years later, with rust on the same spot. The sad news is that it looks like this will be my last VW with the way corporate handled this, and I am starting to wonder if VW has gone the way of mazda with rust issues.

I re-submitted a claim, since this was clearly a repair done poorly; the dealer/shop said to submit a new claim and suggested it's normal for cars to rust like this again  ???  ::). After 12ish weeks, they came back, denying the claim due to it being caused by "external wear and a misaligned bumper" (n.b. the bumper was last installed by the bodyshop doing the VW repair) . When I called VW corporate as directed by the dealer, they informed me that there is no recourse mechanism and that all decisions are final.

I went today to the dealer to get some more information, and by coincidence had the service manager be the one who took a look at the claim and car; he seemed to be ready to shut it down until I said that it's on both sides exactly where they did the "repair". Sounds like he's going to follow up one more time with VW corporate after taking a look at my car. I'm hopeful they can resolve it, but realistically I'm ready to pursue other avenues; there's at least one other case where VW has poorly handled rust claims https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/volkswagen-canada-corrosion-warranty-small-claims-court-1.5407067

Certainly a shame because overall this car has been good, but it doesn't take much to completely sour a brand experience.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2024, 09:30:28 pm by pi314 »

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #267 on: October 03, 2024, 12:49:02 am »
I'm in the same boat with another issue. The notorious jet suction pump issue.
VW Canada rejected 3 claims to reimburse me for the consequential damage to my car due to the failed part, originally under extended warranty and now under a safety recall. The very reason for the recall is in fact the consequential damage part - the charcoal canister  gets filled with fuel if the suction pump fails (which is what happened in my case) and gas drips  and can ignite. If that happens, the canister is ruined and needs to be replaced.

VW Canada line is that the charcoal canister is not part of the extended warranty or recall.... How stupid is that? Yes, if the condition doesn't happen then yes, no need to touch it but if it does and it takes the charcoal canister out, shouldn't they cover it? To me it's common sense.

I tried BBB so far but they are powerless to enforce anything - VW eventually responded with the same BS corporate line so it's not going anywhere. Judging by their BBB rating they don't really care.

Looking at alternative options to fight them, including media, small claim court. There is a class action in US but it's in early stages.Nohing yet in Canada.

All for $1,840... Talk about sorry arse attitude towards customer. And I don't think it's VW HQ but VW Canada bean counters and management making stupid calls. Not like their reputation hasn't been tarnished already, but they keep adding to it. The management of VW Canada doesn't seem to care about one of the most valuable asset of any company - reputation.

I know 2 other people which have been repeat VW owners and after dealing with VW Canada for rust issues on their Passat,  they are done with VW and so am I. I ike the car, hate the company.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #268 on: October 03, 2024, 07:09:42 am »
Man that sucks for both of you guys and it's a shame that VW isn't making this right.  I find that VW peaked right around when Dieselgate happened and the direction and products that they've produced since them have targeted the masses at the expense of their loyal customers who truly loved what VW was about.  I don't think anyone would blame either of you for not buying another one.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 03, 2024, 10:24:35 am »

When I called VW corporate as directed by the dealer, they informed me that there is no recourse mechanism and that all decisions are final.

BTW: This happened to me as well and it really pissed me off. The L1 customer service person gives you the corporate line and shuts you down (as trained most likely). With every case, I asked to speak to someone responsible for the decision but I was declined every time.
I'm thinking to write a letter to VW Canada, although I have slim hope anything will change, but at least it's documented that I tried which may be useful later on.

Online pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: October 03, 2024, 10:57:00 am »
I think the frustrating part in all of this is that this was a selling point - they advertise the warranty. I guess I shouldn't be surprised with vw being the dieselgate company, but it is problematic that they can't stand by the basics of their product.

The VW L1 person was very kind, but that's not ultimately helpful. What would have been helpful is a dialogue where maybe there is a basis for denial; in my particular case I don't think that applies because it's either a poorly done job (auto body shop was chosen by VW and so that's their problem), or a poorly designed repair. In either case, VW should be proactive; the car is only 6 years old with 130000 km, and the rust first appeared after 4 years!

Looking at my options I'm pretty well convinced I'll have to go the small claims route. Forcing me down this path pretty well automatically excludes me ever buying a VW again, which is a shame, because I was pretty seriously considering an ID Buzz to eventually replace the wagon.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #271 on: October 03, 2024, 11:06:45 am »
The L1 customer service person gives you the corporate line and shuts you down (as trained most likely). With every case, I asked to speak to someone responsible for the decision but I was declined every time.

Remember I was fighting with a United Airlines rep who was firm on giving me a credit rather than a refund for a rebooked flight. As they had promised me a refund originally, I was pretty pissed. We argued and argued, and finally she said, 'Look, the decision is final, even if you were to call my manager at XXXXX, nothing will change!'

I argued some more and she just said the same thing again, slower this time, lots of pauses

Finally I got it. Thanked her, called the new number, and boom, changed no problem

Pretty funny looking back on it, like being in a Monty Python skit

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 03, 2024, 11:15:11 am »
Yeah, customer service people were polite in VW case too but still useless. They kept repeating the company line no matter what I said. It was obvious they are not decision makers but I already knew that hence asked to speak to someone with more authority but they kept repeating the same sentence - decision is final and can't speak to anyone else. This was the frustrating part.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #273 on: October 04, 2024, 11:19:01 am »
Poor policy and decision making at the top of the house. See my post from yesterday on that Hyundai claim - same applies here.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 04, 2024, 12:08:46 pm »
I really like VW (well, really now only the GTI/Golf R and GLI), but stories like this sway me away from considering them for long-term ownership outside of warranty.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 04, 2024, 12:11:24 pm »
Yeah, customer service people were polite in VW case too but still useless. They kept repeating the company line no matter what I said. It was obvious they are not decision makers but I already knew that hence asked to speak to someone with more authority but they kept repeating the same sentence - decision is final and can't speak to anyone else. This was the frustrating part.

Same thing when I had to help out with my mom's Jetta with a sunroof leak. There was a recall on the drains, but after a few years they were acting up. Same response from VW Corporate. Weren't going to help out or address the issue as in their mind the recall "fixed" the issue.  ::)

Ended up taking it to her indy VW mechanic who dropped the headliner and sorted out all the sunroof drains.

Online pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 04, 2024, 05:12:32 pm »
Yeah it’s pretty poor decision making from the top, but I guess it’s an FGC after all

I had the service manager of a dealer I didn’t buy the car from try pretty hard; so you’d think they’d listen to that, but I think it’s a hope of attrition.

No sane person expects a car to rust on both fenders after 6 years, let alone 4, and clearly the repair was what failed here.

Maybe I’ll go buy a tlx; not many manual options left!

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 04, 2024, 06:06:29 pm »
At least you were able to get it repaired, I'm still on the waiting list to get it in, it's been two years now. I keep bugging them and the service advisor keeps saying that I'll be soon.

I wonder if it's just a poor design, meaning it will rust regardless of the repair.

I still really like the car.  And while it hasn't been perfect, it hasn't been too bad. I'm at 145k km right now.

That said, I don't see myself buying another VW. Mostly because they aren't selling anything interesting (except for the ID Buzz).
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Online pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: Today at 04:56:08 pm »
At least you were able to get it repaired, I'm still on the waiting list to get it in, it's been two years now. I keep bugging them and the service advisor keeps saying that I'll be soon.

I wonder if it's just a poor design, meaning it will rust regardless of the repair.

I still really like the car.  And while it hasn't been perfect, it hasn't been too bad. I'm at 145k km right now.

That said, I don't see myself buying another VW. Mostly because they aren't selling anything interesting (except for the ID Buzz).

It's definitely a poor design; as part of the repair they remove deadening foam among other things... if you look at the hatch the bumper is angled differently.

Waiting 2 years for a rust repair is insane on so many levels... but I hope your repair lasts more than two years at the very least.

I haven't been driving much the last couple years, I'm only up to 130000 km...