Author Topic: 2018 Volkswagen Golf Sportwagen 4motion Trendline 6MT 1.8TSI  (Read 49207 times)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 Volkswagen Golf Sportwagen 4motion Trendline 6MT 1.8TSI
« Reply #240 on: July 12, 2022, 09:27:27 am »
Yeah, that's not ok.

The irony in my case is that I jumped ship from Mazda because of the rust.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #241 on: July 12, 2022, 09:43:32 am »
For me it’s on both sides, where fender meets bumper. Service advisor made it sound like for this specific location I don’t need a hole as it’s starting on the inside going out and it’d be better to be caught early? Who knows.

It doesn’t appear vw rust warranty  requires holes, but rather the location (ie surface rust from a scratch is obviously not covered).

However, they keep dropping the length of the warranty and the cars seem to be getting worse for it….

I’m feeling really stupid now. It was a bad winter and I let myself get way behind on the car washes. Finally hosed it off in the spring and was shocked to see some obvious rust blisters on the fenders and a big chunk of paint missing.

There’s also a bunch of rust on the rockers by the front of the doors, but that’s been brewing there for a while.

So, that would have been around March-April 2022. I bought the car in May 2010, which was so long ago I didn’t even think of it being a warranty issue. But just recently I found out (remembered, actually) that the rust warranty is good for twelve years. Just missed it!  :'(

Sucks you missed it, and vw had a great thing with the 12 year warranty. Funny enough my friend with a 2010 GTI had two rockers replaced because of the warranty.

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #242 on: July 12, 2022, 09:47:49 am »
So perhaps I spoke too soon about this car being reliable and loving it  ;D

I'm starting to see bubbling on both rear fenders, so it'll likely rust soon. Based on my experience with VW in the past they take forever to deal with body claims. I spoke to a dealer and they suggested waiting a bit longer so that the rust is properly visible on the pictures, but it looks like it is similar to what is usually covered.

Certainly doesn't bode well for longevity!

Wait;  a 2018 with rust?
I believe that after dieselgate and the switch to manufacturing in Mexico, VW got a bit cheap with their rust proofing and materials.  That's why they now have a much shorter rust warranty.  They used to have the best in the business at 12 years and unlimited kms.  But that changed right around 2016.

I knew a lot of people who lived on dirt roads that swear by VW for their ability to not rust, they always said anything else they would drive would rust prematurely due to all the rocks and debris that gets kicked up on the under carriage of the vehicle due to where they live.  I'd say that isn't the case anymore.

Just a reminder to people, if you are planning on keeping your vehicle past the rust warranty and want to avoid these issues, start getting it sprayed from new. 

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 12, 2022, 09:51:32 am »
The annoying part is that rust proofing will lead to VW denying a rust warranty claim. Though, that may only pertain to panels that are drilled.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #244 on: July 12, 2022, 10:27:41 am »
That's pretty quick, like the level of my old 510. No fender liners in that thing were a huge part of the problem, mud and salt would just sit trapped in the inner fender corners

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #245 on: July 12, 2022, 10:30:26 am »
The annoying part is that rust proofing will lead to VW denying a rust warranty claim. Though, that may only pertain to panels that are drilled.
Here's the thing, if you get it done at Rustcheck or Krown, in order to get their warranty you need to have it drilled.  But if you would rather have the manufacturers warranty, just ask them not to drill holes, that won't void the warranty, but then you won't have the Rustcheck or Krown warranty. 

I got both my Civic Si and CR-V undercoated by the dealer and that extends the rust warranty for 10 years.  But I will likely go to Krown to spray it every 3 years or so, just to reapply where it has wore off, but I won't be allowing them to drill any holes.  I just figure with how little me and my wife drive that it's more important for us to rust proof these vehicles.  Nothing worse than seeing a low mileage older vehicle that ends up off the road due to rust than mechanical issues.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 12, 2022, 10:57:28 am »
That's the route I will take once this has been fixed.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 12, 2022, 01:06:35 pm »
I'll Krown or rust check after the warranty is up. I didn't expect rust after 4.5 years for sure.

Though based on my mood this week if Ford announces a PHEV maverick I'll put a deposit down the same day. Then sell this golf and get an equivalent-priced miata  ;D

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 12, 2022, 01:34:36 pm »
I'll Krown or rust check after the warranty is up. I didn't expect rust after 4.5 years for sure.

Though based on my mood this week if Ford announces a PHEV maverick I'll put a deposit down the same day. Then sell this golf and get an equivalent-priced miata  ;D
That's like saying I'll quiet smoking after the lung transplant.  Maybe do it now, when it's not showing in other areas.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 12, 2022, 02:26:30 pm »
well if that means VW will void my rust warranty what's the point? it's already rusting, might as well have those fixed first.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #250 on: July 12, 2022, 03:52:04 pm »
Wow, I definitely would not expect a VW to start rusting this quickly.

I have one small rust spot bubbling on the driver's side from fender of the BMW. Planning to get that taken care of before the winter.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 12, 2022, 09:22:41 pm »
Here's the thing, if you get it done at Rustcheck or Krown, in order to get their warranty you need to have it drilled.  But if you would rather have the manufacturers warranty, just ask them not to drill holes, that won't void the warranty, but then you won't have the Rustcheck or Krown warranty. 

I got both my Civic Si and CR-V undercoated by the dealer and that extends the rust warranty for 10 years.  But I will likely go to Krown to spray it every 3 years or so, just to reapply where it has wore off, but I won't be allowing them to drill any holes.  I just figure with how little me and my wife drive that it's more important for us to rust proof these vehicles.  Nothing worse than seeing a low mileage older vehicle that ends up off the road due to rust than mechanical issues.

Krown Or Rust Check warranty only applies to new vehicles.{This warranty applies to new vehicles purchased less than 6 months prior to application of KROWN, within 12 months of manufacturer's production date, except as may be extended by applicable provincial laws.}
So no warranty for a 2018.
I'd still get it done though. My 12 Civic has been done every other year, no signs of rust yet. I 'd rather they drill holes so they can apply it properly into the seams where rust starts. Dealer undercoating is just a money maker for the dealer. They are not expecting the average person to the keep the car past 6 years. :P
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 13, 2022, 08:01:18 am »

Krown Or Rust Check warranty only applies to new vehicles.{This warranty applies to new vehicles purchased less than 6 months prior to application of KROWN, within 12 months of manufacturer's production date, except as may be extended by applicable provincial laws.}
So no warranty for a 2018.
I'd still get it done though. My 12 Civic has been done every other year, no signs of rust yet. I 'd rather they drill holes so they can apply it properly into the seams where rust starts. Dealer undercoating is just a money maker for the dealer. They are not expecting the average person to the keep the car past 6 years. :P
I was referring to getting it sprayed from new, otherwise, yes there would be no warranty.  What I was indicating is that if you do it from new, you lose the manufacturers warranty but gain the Krown/Rust Check warranty that is good until you stop getting it done, as long as you get it done yearly it will stay covered by their warranty.

Dealer undercoating depends on the manufacturer.  With Honda what they use is almost like a wax/gel type, it's very thick and doesn't drip.  Also the 10 year warranty is transferrable so regardless of if I only keep it 6 years or not, it'll still be covered under this warranty for the full 10 years.  But considering at 7 years I'll likely only be around 60,000kms max, getting it touched up every few years will just extend the rust prevention for the next owner or perhaps the owner after that.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 13, 2022, 09:28:02 am »
^^^ That's my point the dealer stuff doesn't get to where it should to stop the corrosion. It has to seep into  body crevices to be effective. The dripping is why it works. And why they suggest it being done annually.

It would be interesting to see how VW repairs the affected area of corrosion. I doubt it would solve the problem. It will come back because of the design of that area.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 13, 2022, 09:37:30 am »
Agreed.  I think it will happen eventually to my driver's side.  Hopefully within the next 6 years. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #255 on: July 13, 2022, 09:37:36 am »
Approximately how much does an application of Rust Check run for an average vehicle?  I need to get the CX-5 done. 

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 13, 2022, 09:48:33 am »
Approximately how much does an application of Rust Check run for an average vehicle?  I need to get the CX-5 done.
Just looked at Krown website and a small SUV like yours would be $149.95 plus tax, unless you have a coupon.  Rust check looks to be about $10 cheaper https://www.rustcheck.ca/pricing.html

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #257 on: July 14, 2022, 10:12:03 pm »
We charge $119.99 for rust proofing, I believe. Maybe $129.99 for SUVs.

I wouldn't know - I'm not allowed to work at the counter anymore, apparently I screw up the scheduling too much by trying to squeeze people in  ;D ;D ;D
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 18, 2023, 03:46:28 pm »
Rolled over 115000 km today. Driving it less these days, but it's still serving me well. Car is also now actually mine, last payment made this week.
Vw offered .9% financing when I bought the thing... I still can't believe I got an AWD reasonably spec'd car for under 30k all in (taxes, fees, everything). These days... good luck.

Only really unreasonable repair was the rust, fixed under warranty. VW fixed the metal and removed some foam to prevent water from accumulating at the fenders. Other than that, the water in my trunk which I suspect is due to my breaking a watertight part. Also a cracked headlight; no idea if that was me hitting a rock or what.

Car has been great otherwise, we'll see how it treats me out of warranty. Maybe I'll tune it, maybe I won't, but honestly it's been a great car. No immediate plans to replace it, it does exactly what I need really well. I'll stash some cash and wait. I guess I could start a thread that lasts 6 or 7 years. I thought about selling the car during the covid frenzy since I don't really need it, but even if I got 15k for it I can't think of a better car in the current landscape. Manual transmission is still important to me.

Pretty good for a made in Mexico vw  ;D

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 18, 2023, 04:05:02 pm »
That’s great man.  Just take those payments you were making and set them aside for any unexpected repair or future car downpayment.  Definitely can’t get anything similar to that for $30k out the door at 0.9% financing.  I doubt if you could get a base model Subaru Impreza out the door for that.