Author Topic: 2018 Volkswagen Golf Sportwagen 4motion Trendline 6MT 1.8TSI  (Read 49226 times)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
Re: 2018 Volkswagen Golf Sportwagen 4motion Trendline 6MT 1.8TSI
« Reply #220 on: February 14, 2022, 06:25:58 pm »
Pretty sure Gurgie was trying to be funny. Hey, they can't all be zingers.
I have been skiing, drinking, hot-tubbing (much to the shagrin of many of you), drinking... so I'm off my game a bit for the zingers! Off to dinner now at least though :cheers:

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #221 on: February 14, 2022, 06:29:24 pm »
Pretty sure Gurgie was trying to be funny. Hey, they can't all be zingers.
I have been skiing, drinking, hot-tubbing (much to the shagrin of many of you), drinking... so I'm off my game a bit for the zingers! Off to dinner now at least though :cheers:

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

To channel my inner helidriver/brig, it's chagrin but that was a funny one  ;D

I'm also exclusively on receiving end of dad jokes  :P

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #222 on: February 14, 2022, 06:55:52 pm »
I think he meant shaggin’;D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #223 on: February 14, 2022, 07:37:32 pm »
[quote author =pi314 link=topic=100536.msg1604615#msg1604615 date=1644878075]
Getting rid of it over something mechanical I get, but a trunk not opening? Annoying sure, but like it's a $700 fix worst case, seems like an overreaction... cheaper than a tune  ;D

I'm inclined to wait until I have the capacity to buy cash for the next vehicle; we'll see what happens though.
[/quote]
Remember who wrote that , he got a white refrigerator to replace the GC  :rofl2:

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 14, 2022, 07:47:46 pm »
Hahaha if I sell this car I'd put myself on the waitlist for a maverick or something electric and go car free for a year or two.  I don't need a car most of the time, it's a huge luxury that costs what, 10k/yr? The "sane" thing would be to get rid of the car entirely.

Actually Fredericton VW's service pricing is so out to lunch that I went to saint john a couple times. In between I did one oil change back in Ottawa because I was there visiting friends.

Fuse? 
Something I'll check but I suspect the sensor for the latch is on the same circuit.

Actual waiting list or vehicle order ? They are not taking orders on them until after May .....maybe. I'd like to test drive the Hybrid version but none to test. I would n't order one for that reason alone. I guess I won't be retiring my truck any time soon.

it's an actual waitlist - my local dealer is also running one. I am going to speculate the 2023 run will be sold out pretty quickly.

My question was to pi. Was he  going to go on one or just try to order? I see his camera is fixed for now. I would not,something else  will come along to distract me.  ;D Just thought for me it was a close replacement for what I have now.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 19, 2022, 02:45:34 pm »
Rolled over 100 000 km yesterday. 4.5 years in I'm still incredibly happy with the car.

On occasion I think about a truck or bigger vehicle for camping trips with friends, but honestly I can't think of a better car all things considered at the price point. There is no equivalent in the market today which is a shame. Not to mention fuel prices are back up and this car offers phenomenal highway fuel economy.

It does everything I need it to quite well. I've done trips of adults with camping gear etc in a roof box, can transport 4 bikes or my kayak, and AWD makes bad weather days better.

Maybe I'll tune it soon but with $2/litre gas I don't know if I need to burn more :D

How much longer will I keep it? Honestly probably another decade if it continues to be reliable. I don't mind replacing the backup camera :P. I'd rather get a Miata or some other additional vehicle than outright replace this, but that'll be unlikely if I move back to Ottawa or to some other large urban centre.

Looks like these days you have to plan car replacements in advance though  :-\

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #226 on: May 19, 2022, 03:34:32 pm »
Nice update.

There is no equivalent in the market today which is a shame.

Maybe I'll tune it soon but with $2/litre gas I don't know if I need to burn more :D

Agree. Sad that reasonable sized cars with good sized storage aren't more popular.

I don't know what tunes are like now but the +1 I had on the GTI never cost me more fuel, well unless running it at wide open and bouncing off the rev limiter. But for ordinary driving, I'd say there was no penalty or maybe even slightly better f/e as the tune was more efficient.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 19, 2022, 04:48:30 pm »
That's exactly how I feel about my GSW.  The interior space to footprint is just fantastic.  The car drives great, the interior is super functional with buttons for everything.

The only thing I'd really change is to swap out the seats from the GTI or Highline (same shape) because I find the base seats lose their comfort after about 3 hours.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #228 on: May 19, 2022, 04:53:23 pm »
Glad it's still serving you well! Shame we can't bring a new one here for you. We do have a Mk8 Wagon prototype mule kicking around at the office, shipped here for some routine software testing (this is just the car they chose to ship). I got a little bit of seat time last month. Really is a lovely package, but alas, will remain forbidden Euro fruit.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 19, 2022, 04:58:09 pm »
It still kinda blows me away that they (up until recently) sold an AWD manual wagon here.

I know in the Ottawa area the GSWs were super popular, I see them everywhere.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 21, 2022, 09:09:34 am »
Glad it's still serving you well! Shame we can't bring a new one here for you. We do have a Mk8 Wagon prototype mule kicking around at the office, shipped here for some routine software testing (this is just the car they chose to ship). I got a little bit of seat time last month. Really is a lovely package, but alas, will remain forbidden Euro fruit.

Part of me is glad vw isn't bringing it over because then I'd be very tempted to buy it.

Even now the R is tempting, but something something getting older and fiscal responsibility... or something like that.

Nice update.

There is no equivalent in the market today which is a shame.

Agree. Sad that reasonable sized cars with good sized storage aren't more popular.

I don't know what tunes are like now but the +1 I had on the GTI never cost me more fuel, well unless running it at wide open and bouncing off the rev limiter. But for ordinary driving, I'd say there was no penalty or maybe even slightly better f/e as the tune was more efficient.

Indeed a shame. I guess the Corolla GR would be an interesting replacement but the storage is lacking.

Money no object, maybe a V60/V90 are good replacements, though I'm still partial to a manual transmission. On the V90 though only the cross country is available these days.

Good to know about the tune. Right now I'm very deep into renovations (funny how "just" insulating the basement means getting framing, plumbing, and electrical done) so I will have to wait at least a few months but probably a year.

That's exactly how I feel about my GSW.  The interior space to footprint is just fantastic.  The car drives great, the interior is super functional with buttons for everything.

The only thing I'd really change is to swap out the seats from the GTI or Highline (same shape) because I find the base seats lose their comfort after about 3 hours.

I haven't had the problem with the stock seats but I kinda wish I paid more attention on my test drives.

While the footprint to space ratio is excellent, I drove a passat wagon in the UK and it was darn near perfect in dimensions. Didn't feel a whole lot bigger externally but the extra few inches in the interior and trunk made all the difference, especially when camping.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #231 on: May 23, 2022, 04:59:40 pm »
Rolled over 100 000 km yesterday. 4.5 years in I'm still incredibly happy with the car.

Thanks for the update.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Factger

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Sportwagen 4 motion 2018 Ford Edge 2013 Ford Focus SE (5 Speed Man.)
« Reply #232 on: May 24, 2022, 11:23:41 am »
My sportwagen is at 110,000 km. No check engine lights. No dealer visits.  DSG has been flawless. Fun to drive and 1.8 TSI is underrated engine.
To Tune or not to tune (and to what level) that is the question.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 11, 2022, 09:34:21 pm »
So perhaps I spoke too soon about this car being reliable and loving it  ;D

I'm starting to see bubbling on both rear fenders, so it'll likely rust soon. Based on my experience with VW in the past they take forever to deal with body claims. I spoke to a dealer and they suggested waiting a bit longer so that the rust is properly visible on the pictures, but it looks like it is similar to what is usually covered.

Certainly doesn't bode well for longevity!

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 11, 2022, 10:01:34 pm »

I'm starting to see bubbling on both rear fenders, so it'll likely rust soon. Based on my experience with VW in the past they take forever to deal with body claims. I spoke to a dealer and they suggested waiting a bit longer so that the rust is properly visible on the pictures, but it looks like it is similar to what is usually covered.

That’s surprising…I thought VW and others were always on the rust hole or bust bandwagon for warranty claims…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 11, 2022, 10:19:20 pm »
Funny timing.

On Saturday I noticed a rust bubble on my right rear quarter panel, where it meets the bumper skin. It was big enough that paint had flaked off.

I was at the dealership for an oil change and brought it up. The service tech who looked at it was confident it would be a warranty repair due to its location.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #236 on: July 11, 2022, 11:34:53 pm »
I’m feeling really stupid now. It was a bad winter and I let myself get way behind on the car washes. Finally hosed it off in the spring and was shocked to see some obvious rust blisters on the fenders and a big chunk of paint missing.

There’s also a bunch of rust on the rockers by the front of the doors, but that’s been brewing there for a while.

So, that would have been around March-April 2022. I bought the car in May 2010, which was so long ago I didn’t even think of it being a warranty issue. But just recently I found out (remembered, actually) that the rust warranty is good for twelve years. Just missed it!  :'(

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #237 on: July 12, 2022, 09:20:48 am »
rust warranties are typically for perforation.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 12, 2022, 09:22:19 am »
Agreed. Which is why I was surprised when they said it would be covered.

He did comment that if it was in the upper wheel well and not against the bumper skin it likely would not have been covered.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #239 on: July 12, 2022, 09:22:51 am »

Wait;  a 2018 with rust?