Author Topic: Am I missing anything?  (Read 20300 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: Am I missing anything?
« Reply #140 on: February 15, 2018, 11:55:08 am »
After my experience with the Corolla's ECP, I'm never doing an ECP again.  Definitely saved lots of money, but fight every step of the way by the dealership. No thanks. No more.
interesting...not what i would have expected...i have the extended warranty (through Kia) on both my cars...if i ever have to use it, i'll let you know how it went (only applicable on the Rio5 as the Sorento is still too new to be under the extended warranty yet).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #141 on: February 15, 2018, 12:14:32 pm »
My favourite was when the exhaust pipe gasket went.  It was a ~$20 part (dealer marked up to $70ish)
https://www.ebay.ca/i/122641137302?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Took 4 dealers to diagnose the problem, all of whom said "cannot recreate complaint" and then wanted to charge me for 0.5 hrs of diagnosis time because no warrantable problem was found.  Finally, it was found, and then the dealership said, "part not covered under ECP".

I pulled up the brochure, which said:
The ECP Platinum Plan Coverage is so comprehensive that there are only a few items that it does NOT cover.

Parts not covered are: all glass (mirrors, heated windshields and rear windows with defroster), fog lamps, lenses, sealed beams, lamps, light bulbs, tires (with the exception of ECP Road Hazard Coverage), wheels or wheel studs, trim, seat frames, convertible top, mouldings, weather-strips, bright metal, sheet metal, body parts (including frame), bumpers, upholstery, carpet, paint, brake rotors and drums, brake linings and pads, batteries and cables, manual clutch disc lining, pressure plate and bushings, throw-out bearings, catalytic converter (which may be covered by Emissions Control Systems Warranties), exhaust system, non-manufacturer installed accessories

In addition, maintenance services and parts; including all lubricants and filters, belts and hoses, wheel balancing or alignment, any adjustments for air and water leaks, wind noise, squeaks and rattles as well as alignment of bumpers, sheet metal, and body parts covered.

Cylinder Block/Head And All Internal Parts
Intake Manifold
Timing Gears
Timing Gear Chain/Belt And Cover
Flywheel
Valve Covers
Oil Pan
Oil Pump
Water Pump
Fuel Pump
Engine Control Module
Engine Mounts
Seals And Gaskets for the above listed components
The dealership told me to call Toyota directly.  I did, inquiring "I'm told the part is not covered.  Why is the part not covered considering that the brochure clearly indicates that it is?  They said, "we'll look into it."  I got a call back 2 weeks later saying, "we looked into it, and the part is not covered."  I called back, saying, "I asked WHY the part is not covered considering the wording of the brochure, and the response was that the part is not covered.  That doesn't explain WHY."  I received a call back two days later from the dealership saying "we'll honour the warranty."  Never heard back from Toyota Canada.

Seriously, over $70ish, Toyota royally p!ssed me off.  I'm not rushing back for their products as a result (shame since I really did love the 'Rolla).

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 15, 2018, 12:25:51 pm »
My favourite was when the exhaust pipe gasket went.  It was a ~$20 part (dealer marked up to $70ish)
https://www.ebay.ca/i/122641137302?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Took 4 dealers to diagnose the problem, all of whom said "cannot recreate complaint" and then wanted to charge me for 0.5 hrs of diagnosis time because no warrantable problem was found.  Finally, it was found, and then the dealership said, "part not covered under ECP".

I pulled up the brochure, which said:
The ECP Platinum Plan Coverage is so comprehensive that there are only a few items that it does NOT cover.

Parts not covered are: all glass (mirrors, heated windshields and rear windows with defroster), fog lamps, lenses, sealed beams, lamps, light bulbs, tires (with the exception of ECP Road Hazard Coverage), wheels or wheel studs, trim, seat frames, convertible top, mouldings, weather-strips, bright metal, sheet metal, body parts (including frame), bumpers, upholstery, carpet, paint, brake rotors and drums, brake linings and pads, batteries and cables, manual clutch disc lining, pressure plate and bushings, throw-out bearings, catalytic converter (which may be covered by Emissions Control Systems Warranties), exhaust system, non-manufacturer installed accessories

In addition, maintenance services and parts; including all lubricants and filters, belts and hoses, wheel balancing or alignment, any adjustments for air and water leaks, wind noise, squeaks and rattles as well as alignment of bumpers, sheet metal, and body parts covered.

Cylinder Block/Head And All Internal Parts
Intake Manifold
Timing Gears
Timing Gear Chain/Belt And Cover
Flywheel
Valve Covers
Oil Pan
Oil Pump
Water Pump
Fuel Pump
Engine Control Module
Engine Mounts
Seals And Gaskets for the above listed components
The dealership told me to call Toyota directly.  I did, inquiring "I'm told the part is not covered.  Why is the part not covered considering that the brochure clearly indicates that it is?  They said, "we'll look into it."  I got a call back 2 weeks later saying, "we looked into it, and the part is not covered."  I called back, saying, "I asked WHY the part is not covered considering the wording of the brochure, and the response was that the part is not covered.  That doesn't explain WHY."  I received a call back two days later from the dealership saying "we'll honour the warranty."  Never heard back from Toyota Canada.

Seriously, over $70ish, Toyota royally p!ssed me off.  I'm not rushing back for their products as a result (shame since I really did love the 'Rolla).
the exhaust system is clearly listed under the "parts not covered" (i've highlighted it bold for you), so that's likely why you had to "fight" for it...nice that they did cover it for you, but it wasn't covered so they weren't wrong to deny it.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 12:29:28 pm by dirtyjeffer »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #143 on: February 15, 2018, 12:28:42 pm »
I can't find it now, but I have a physical brochure that came with the ECP and it explicitly said "Exhaust pipe gaskets" included.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 15, 2018, 02:39:17 pm »
I can't find it now, but I have a physical brochure that came with the ECP and it explicitly said "Exhaust pipe gaskets" included.
that would be a very unusual item to be included as the exhaust system generally has its own warranty that is part of the emissions section of the factory warranty (of which most brands are typically 8 years).

ltruong

« Reply #145 on: February 15, 2018, 03:57:25 pm »
Do you have steering wheel controls?

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #146 on: February 15, 2018, 06:09:45 pm »
If VW offered a 6-year bumper-to-bumper warranty in Canada, I'd replace my Mazda3 with a Sportwagen the second I had a single repair cost to the Mazda.

The warranty on 2015 and newer Mazdas is decent, 5 year bumper to bumper unlimited mileage, in Canada or US. 

Not that I would buy a car based on the warranty, doesn't even factor into my decision.

What if it had no warranty?  :P

You mean like most of my cars...

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 16, 2018, 01:07:46 pm »
Is today the day?
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #148 on: February 16, 2018, 01:30:04 pm »
Yes. Another hour of work...

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 16, 2018, 01:51:01 pm »
Yes. Another hour of work...

Also known as the longest hour of work ever.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 01:58:55 pm by tortoise »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #150 on: February 16, 2018, 01:53:14 pm »
Looking forward to seeing pics!

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95