Author Topic: Am I missing anything?  (Read 20331 times)

ltruong

Re: Am I missing anything?
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2018, 10:47:15 am »
I the think the comfortline with assit package is a better deal than the highline. Highline too pricey.

BTW as for FGC issues. Mine has been super reliable.  In 8 years &210k of ownership the engine line never came on. In fact the only thing that I have issue is one rear door locks. Still works but needs some attention.  Never had issues with the moonroof but it’s slow, the tracks just needs grease.  Beside oil change, I did timing belt at 155k and 1 set of brake pad in the rear. That’s it,  all original bulbs lol.

And I pretty much bag the car every time I drive it.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 10:56:54 am by wongpong »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2018, 12:45:00 pm »

I looked at it, and the only thing missing in the Trendline I can see is the pano roof (and I would like LED lights, but not necessary).  I'd probably get the Comfortline with lighting package.

There have been many complaints about leaking pano-roofs on the mk7 golf.  I would expect that the issue is resolved on the 2018's but I like the comfort of knowing there is less to go wrong.

Never had an issue with the roof leaking on my GTI.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2018, 01:00:53 pm »
I never had a headgasket issue on my Forester, so that's determinative ;D

(sorry, had to do it)

ltruong

« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2018, 03:01:21 pm »
I never had a headgasket issue on my Forester, so that's determinative ;D

(sorry, had to do it)

Go have a peak underneath  haha

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2018, 04:30:07 pm »
I just find the jump in price between trims with VW to be pricey with not much gained (e.g. it's $2,800 to move from TL to CL in pi's wagon, but the only desirable thing is the pano roof - perhaps the leatherette - otherwise, who cares).  Between the CL and HL, the only thing I would really care for would be dual zone climate control...I'm sure other things included are nice, but not worth the price.

I think the pano roof is very undesirable; reliability, breakage ... well I just don't like glass sunroofs.  What is very desirable is the proximity key and push button start.  However, I agree that $2800 plus 13% tax and finance charge is a bridge too far for the CL.

:cheers:  on a great choice. 1%/60 is also very nice.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +315/-525
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2018, 07:50:22 pm »
I would second the Chevy Volt. I have extensively test drove it and will be my wife's next car.

+1.   Good compact car.   Smooth acceleration.   QuietAF

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2018, 08:16:27 pm »
Thanks, folks

Ordered floormats and the likes. Shoutout to tortoise who has patiently answered all my golf wagon related questions via email.

Beauty, pi!  Perfect choice for you!
Can't believe a Trendline is almost $30k, but I shouldn't be surprised - all cars these days are expensive :(
$27,340 with freight and PDI which seems pretty reasonable for an AWD wagon. Minus whatever discount you can get.

I'll just say that my final price inclusive of discount and taxes was about 30% more than 2015 used examples... of which there were few in stickshift, and none in AWD. Some adjustment for financing too. It was very reasonably priced IMO and with the cheap financing I thought I might as well go the new route - new model of course also has carplay (which would cost about 1000 to aftermarket in most cars) and auto headlights (which I don't know why VW didn't include for so long... my friend's 2010 GTI doesn't have it ???)

I did test and like the comfortline model but the additional price didn't make sense - It befuddles me that AWD is $1500 whereas a glass roof and some fake leather, a marginally larger display, proximity key, and a few other things is nearly double that.

I think we'd all love to hear what sold you on the Golf over all the other vehicles you've been looking at.  How does it compare to the Fit you're replacing?

Sure. I think the biggest thing was the fit was the first car I bought, and I bought it with my Fredericton driving experience. Namely, that meant that most trips I did in the past were quite quick and very limited traffic. Moreover I had access to my mom's van for road trips, So cabin noise was not a consideration.

By all respects the fit is an amazing car, and it's without question the car I'd buy in this class if buying again. Two things stopped me: 1) I didn't want to buy the same thing twice, and 2) it turns out I do a lot more roadtrips/highway driving than I initially thought. In stickshift the fit revs at something ridiculous (3400?) on the highway. It's also not a quiet car. It's also not that well insulated, and so AC is merely adequate, and heat takes a while since the engine is small. None of these are deal breakers but they did guide my replacement hunt.

I should mention that I was considering replacing my fit with an EV for the last little while. However, I live in an apartment and while the landlords were willing to install a charger, the flood response did not inspire confidence. Moreover, a new EV would be a fair bit more than what I paid for the golf for a lot less utility. I also do a lot of highway driving and EV wouldn't let me make a road trip to the maritimes for example.  It was cool to test them though - in the PHEV space I'd go with a clarity for sure. EV I prefer golf EV to focus EV but good luck getting one. Will check out the leaf when my colleague gets his. Used C-Max did not pan out. Other used EVs are priced too high IMO. 2nd gen volt also felt too cramped.

Honourable mention: 2013 Lexus Ct200h. I really really liked this car. Cheaper than 2015 golf which is ridiculous IMO. However, it's too small for me when I have visitors or when I go camping. It'd also be difficult to transport bicycles with.

I test drove some used vehicles and new ones, and ultimately realized that the Golf was the best combination for what I wanted: quiet and in stickshift. The wagon is a guilty pleasure. Used pricing is somewhat insane, especially for the wagon, so I looked into new.

Turns out the dealer had a good price, and the 4motion available, tested that in the snow, and that sealed the deal.

This was a lot more than I planned to write - I'm sure I'll write more when I get the car (probably the end of next week).

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2018, 08:22:06 pm »
Congrats on your new MkVII!!  :cheers:

I loved mine, and it had zero depreciation after two years (thank-you Dieselgate  ;D ). Never had issues with the pano roof. I have the same with the e-tron, no issues either.

I tested the eGolf last week. The review is coming up soon on AutoHebdo (Trader's French website), so no spoilers but I can admit that I miss the subdued refinement of my old Golf.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2018, 09:16:27 am »
I did test and like the comfortline model but the additional price didn't make sense - It befuddles me that AWD is $1500 whereas a glass roof and some fake leather, a marginally larger display, proximity key, and a few other things is nearly double that.
Yeah, when we were looking at the 2009 Jetta TDI vs the 2010 Corolla (both were brand new, the VW was just a leftover with insane cash on the hood - they were the same price at the time :o - we made the wrong call ;) ), the thing that stopped us was that the Jetta was a Trendline and that meant that it lacked a centre console/armrest.  Absolutely baffled us - completely uncomfortable, but they wanted $2,800 to move up to comfortline and then it would have been a 2010 and about $4,500 more because of the loss of 'leftover pricing'.

...but man did I love that model year of Jetta.

You're going to be very happy with the Sportwagen - congrats, bud!

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2018, 10:01:32 am »
Cool! Waiting for the Show'n Shine.  :thumbup:
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2018, 10:02:17 am »

Yeah, me too!!! Mind you, I should just go see it in person when he picks it up  :rofl2:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2018, 10:33:36 am »
Congrats on your new MkVII!!  :cheers:

I loved mine, and it had zero depreciation after two years (thank-you Dieselgate  ;D ). Never had issues with the pano roof. I have the same with the e-tron, no issues either.

I tested the eGolf last week. The review is coming up soon on AutoHebdo (Trader's French website), so no spoilers but I can admit that I miss the subdued refinement of my old Golf.

My depreciation totals 1300 for the year (Deductible and financing charge). Not bad.

Yeah, me too!!! Mind you, I should just go see it in person when he picks it up  :rofl2:

There'll be a show n shine for sure. I pick the car up next Friday.

You're of course welcome to come check it out sometime. Perhaps we compare my wagon to tortoise's?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2018, 10:37:53 am »
tortoise has a MkVI? The difference between the MkVI and MkVII is night and day in terms of the interior, IMO.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2018, 10:42:03 am »
Mine's a MkVII.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2018, 10:44:38 am »
Mine's a MkVII.

Oh, right. You got a TDI, right?

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2018, 10:47:58 am »
Yep.  One of the unicorn new old stock models.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2018, 10:59:24 am »
You're of course welcome to come check it out sometime. Perhaps we compare my wagon to tortoise's?

We'll have to plan for something  :cheers:

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2018, 11:31:05 am »
Yeah, I'd love to try the TSI and see how it compares.

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +28/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 VW Golf City, 2018 Honda CR-V Touring, 2013 Buick Regal GS (RIP)
« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2018, 11:58:56 am »
Congrats pi!  Nice wagon!!

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2018, 01:23:46 pm »
Great choice.  It really ticks all the boxes for your needs AND it should be good even if you decide to get hitched and have kids.

For me, I'd want the CL trim for the keyless access and push-button start and fake-leather seats (easier to clean).  I don't really care for the panoramic sunroof, though.

Keyless access and push button start (not the type you have to insert the remote into a slot) is really missed when you no longer have it after living with it for a few years.