Author Topic: Preview: 2019 Chevrolet Silverado  (Read 23432 times)

Online BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
Re: Preview: 2019 Chevrolet Silverado
« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2018, 11:12:46 am »
Why would you want to use it in the dry?

Put it in auto 4wd/AWD for winter so you don't have to switch back and forth.  According to the guy across the road, GM's system is not meant even for that.  Front and rear axles turn at slightly different rates or something.  He's seen too many break/fail/eff-up so I assume he knows what he's talking about.  I dunno...don't drive/own a Chevy truck.  Mine doesn't have an AUTO 4wd feature.  :'(

He also says never buy a used 5.3 where someone has followed the oil change intervals (16,000 km).  Replaced enough rings to know you need to change oil more often than that.

...a nice feature this truck also seems have is a "4WD Auto" setting...i know that was mentioned in here before (i think GM also has it, but Ford does not).

Unfortunately you have to step up to the Lariat to get AWD on the Ford.  Friend of mine says the GM unit is shi# - can't be used in the dry (his bud is head of local GM shop mechanic side), says they are not a good true AWD system.  Ford/Dodge better.

Have another friend who's looking to buy a new truck.  Can't get console shift on GM, no sale.  Hates column.

BS  ::)
Console shift in a truck is for guys with small :censor:  :rofl:

Hey! I'm  a column shifter guy myself.  Gives seating for 6 in a pinch instead of only 5.  And I have no idea if he has a small mangina...at 6'3" or more and 300 plus, I'm not about to ask, or call him on it!  ;D

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2018, 11:14:57 am »
Best to stick to Ford:

The Battle of the Off-Road Beaters: Ford F-150 Custom vs. Geo Tracker, Jeep Cherokee, Land Rover Discovery

https://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/the-battle-of-the-off-road-beaters-ford-vs-geo-jeep-and-land-rover-feature

Online BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2018, 11:15:49 am »
personally, i think the new Rebel is one of the best looking trucks, especially in the red/black combination (proportions, visual capability, etc).

:iagree:  That's a good looking truck.

No less so than the Power Wagon.  Saw my first ever real one this week.  Good looking beast of a truck.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2018, 11:26:57 am »
Uggghhh, I hate the Rebel, supposedly looks aggressive, not an iota of equipment to back it up. Dodge makes a proper offroad truck that actually looks proper and can back up its stickers

New one has 33" tires, an electronic rear locker, and a mild lift. Those are pretty reasonable upgrades.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2018, 11:31:31 am »
I edited my post above, I must be wrong about its availability.  GM may have improved the system over the generation.  My buddy's truck is an '08.

On my 03 I did have a seal go at 200,000 range

We may be talking about different systems AB.  I think you're talking about auto 4wd, and I'm talking about AWD.  Two different systems.
I think only the   Denali and Caddy had all wheel drive in that generation

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #105 on: January 19, 2018, 11:49:45 am »
Best to stick to Ford:

The Battle of the Off-Road Beaters: Ford F-150 Custom vs. Geo Tracker, Jeep Cherokee, Land Rover Discovery

https://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/the-battle-of-the-off-road-beaters-ford-vs-geo-jeep-and-land-rover-feature

Yeah but thats when Ford made real trucks, with big blocks, C6s, and Dana 60s.....not these pop cans with front car suspension of today.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2018, 03:03:46 pm »
Uggghhh, I hate the Rebel, supposedly looks aggressive, not an iota of equipment to back it up. Dodge makes a proper offroad truck that actually looks proper and can back up its stickers

there are a few ways to option the Rebel, but i'd be curious what it's missing in terms of being "proper"...it's just as capable as any other truck out there (regular truck).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2018, 03:09:32 pm »

there are a few ways to option the Rebel, but i'd be curious what it's missing in terms of being "proper"...it's just as capable as any other truck out there (regular truck).

lockers!!

Edit- and a solid front axle.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2018, 03:26:25 pm »

lockers!!

most people don't need something THAT heavy duty...as well, i know it has a locking rear diff option...not sure about the solid front axle or locking front diff...let's be honest, most trucks rarely leave the pavement, and when they do, it's relatively light off roading anyway...the Rebel (and most other regular trucks) can already handle that type of environment just fine, even without the front and rear lockers and solid front axles.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2018, 03:34:40 pm »
^ That's not the point Fobroader was making.  He's saying it looks aggressive but doesn't have the equipment to back up those looks.  He's not saying its not as capable as the average pickup, or that everyone need that level of equipment (lockers, etc).
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline micha

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW Golf R; 2019 VW Golf Sportwagen; 1998 Mercedes E320
« Reply #110 on: January 19, 2018, 03:35:22 pm »

lockers!!

most people don't need something THAT heavy duty...as well, i know it has a locking rear diff option...not sure about the solid front axle or locking front diff...let's be honest, most trucks rarely leave the pavement, and when they do, it's relatively light off roading anyway...the Rebel (and most other regular trucks) can already handle that type of environment just fine, even without the front and rear lockers and solid front axles.

It is not needed, but I really appreciated it, when I "parked" my truck in the ditch a few years ago and someone with a power wagon pulled over and winched me out. He tried pulling me out in 4lo first, but my truck wouldn't move. That winch on the power wagons is definitely capable.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2018, 04:32:09 pm »

lockers!!

It is not needed, but I really appreciated it, when I "parked" my truck in the ditch a few years ago and someone with a power wagon pulled over and winched me out. He tried pulling me out in 4lo first, but my truck wouldn't move. That winch on the power wagons is definitely capable.
ok, but i'm sure you could add a winch to a Rebel, if you really need one that badly?...or, i suppose just get a PowerWagon...myself, i don't need a 3/4 ton truck, nor would i want one that big and expensive...i like that the Rebel gives as much or slightly more capabilities than other regular trucks, all while looking great at the same time.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2018, 08:55:39 pm »
Can't help it but every time I see that new Ram it instantly reminds me of a Dodge Dart (the new one) It's a handsome truck, just doesn't have much flair.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2018, 10:08:50 pm »
^ That's not the point Fobroader was making.  He's saying it looks aggressive but doesn't have the equipment to back up those looks.  He's not saying its not as capable as the average pickup, or that everyone need that level of equipment (lockers, etc).

But, it is more capable. It comes with a rear locker, lift, and 33" tires. As I mentioned above.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 20, 2018, 10:48:09 am »

But, it is more capable. It comes with a rear locker, lift, and 33" tires. As I mentioned above.
exactly...I wasn't saying it was a PowerWagon Lite...it's just that it's at least as capable (possibly slightly more) than other regular trucks...likely on par with other special edition ones too (i'm not a truck guy, so don't hold me to it), like the Toyota TRD, FX4 Ford trucks, Chevy Trail Boss, Nissan Pro-4X, etc...I realize it isn't a Raptor or some other custom off road beast, because it wasn't meant to be (since the number of people who actually do that, especially with a $50k new truck, is likely pretty small).

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 18, 2018, 09:42:14 am »
First full-size truck with a four cylinder. 2.7 litre turbo with 310 horsepower and 348 lb ft of torque. Supposedly an all-new engine.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/05/18/2019-chevy-silverado-turbo-four-cylinder-pickup-96858/

If you want to pick up a four-cylinder for yourself, it's only offered on LT and RST trims as the standard engine, taking the place of the V6. Those trims can also be had with the optional 5.3-liter V8 with Chevy's new cylinder deactivation system that can shut off as many as seven cylinders, or the new 3.0-liter turbodiesel. The LT Trail Boss is only available with the 5.3-liter engine. The entry-level Work Truck and Classic trims still come standard with the 4.3-liter V6, and their optional engine is the 5.3-liter V8 that can only shut off four cylinders. Classic Trail Boss is only available with that V8. The top-end LTZ and High Country come with the fancy 5.3-liter V8 standard with options in the form of the 6.2-liter V8 and turbodiesel. Pricing and fuel economy of all these trucks will be announced later this year, closer to when the trucks go on sale.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 18, 2018, 01:20:53 pm »
That's a big 4 cylinder. Might work okay . The smaller ecoboost is the same displacement.
I bet that engine would work nice in the canyon/ colorado twins.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 18, 2018, 01:30:40 pm »

My thoughts exactly although the current 3.6 is supposed to be a very nice motor.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2018, 04:07:20 pm »
That's a big 4 cylinder. Might work okay . The smaller ecoboost is the same displacement.

If your referring to the Ford Ecobust 2.7 that is quite different being a V6 with an additional turbo running vis a 10speed and usually a 3.73 axle plus DI and port injection.

I agree that this 4 would be better suited to the Canyon et al.  Can't see it working well in an even larger Silverado.  Me thinks this notion was conceived long before Trump came on the scene who is now rolling back mpg regs.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 10, 2018, 01:42:53 pm »
And the onslaught on the new GM trucks doesn’t stop.....AutoNews and other outlets caught wind that some of the new truck configurations have worse mpg than their previous models...

https://youtu.be/3SaWmmojSCY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk