Author Topic: Preview: 2019 Chevrolet Silverado  (Read 23437 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Re: Preview: 2019 Chevrolet Silverado
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2018, 07:00:57 pm »
 :'(

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2018, 07:30:56 pm »
:'(

Nice Sebring. I’ll take your 4 and raise you. Vancouver heat wave of 2009.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2018, 08:28:06 pm »
you guys are in the minority...customer's today want features...in order to manage the features, you need buttons, screens or both...while there are a fair amount of controls in the new Rebel, i still think they did a great job keeping everything in a logical area and made it look tidy...now weird swoopy angles, etc...keep in mind, the Rebel has a lot of tech, you're going to have more buttons than a 20 year old Chevy truck...even a new Chevy truck has more buttons than the old grey drab one shown.

you guys are a funny bunch...a vehicle has a bunch of buttons and it's too busy...so a vehicle has a simplistic look and you say it looks "too basic", or in the case of the new Volvos, you say it looks great and clean...then complain that if the display goes, so do all your features/adjustments.

I don’t understand why people want a car where you can’t see where you’re going if you want to control the hvac or radio.

That explains lane departure warnings.  It’s so you can adjust the volume on the radio.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2018, 09:33:58 pm »
Why does a NA pickup have to have aerodynamics of a brick?  :-\  I think such a long and tall hood makes it difficult to see anything right in front of it which can be a safety issue.

I wonder what the hood height is on this compared to the RAM, F-150, Tundra, and Titan?  I have zero issues seeing anything in front of me in my F-150, so I'm curious as a couple of those pics of the Silverado make it look fairly tall.  Overall, it's a very handsome looking truck exterior wise and I actually prefer it to the RAM and F-150.  Not so much for the interior though.

As for the other general interior comments, overall I'll take today's interiors vs. ones produced 15-20 years ago. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2018, 10:16:16 pm »
I also prefer simplicity.  Why did separate dials for fan speed and temperature become inadequate for HVAC?  Some tech adds more complexity than meaningful convenience.

Thats just making thinks complicated for no reason. I don't get what was wrong with a few dials, simple, easy....why ruin it??

Worlds most idiotic, frustrating, time wasting user interface for HVAC, radio, seats, etc., was FORD's "MY TOUCH" circa 2011 thru 2015 with the first 2 years being the worst.  No question this chased legions of customers away from the brand.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2018, 10:53:39 pm »
I didn’t realize Chevy offered that old work truck interior with front bucket seats and a screen thingy. Even better!  ;D

So, what “features” does a more modern truck have that you couldn’t also incorporate into a cleanly styled dash like this? Just replace that screen with something current. And don’t say that seat heaters would clutter it up - GM puts the switches for heated seats on the doors anyway.  :P

And, yeah, it’s probably hard plastic, but that’s beside the point. Spend some money on nicer materials, and this would be exactly my idea of “luxury”: clean and simple design that’s well executed and functional.

And column shifter FTW! Look at all that space in the console, and no stupid dial thingy cluttering up the dash. At least GM had the sense to hang onto that for 2018.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2018, 11:26:34 pm »
Oh geez, that old GM dash layout is so cheap looking with craptastic materials, give your heads a shake guys!! Sure it's fine in a work truck that's trashed daily, but if I'm using it as my DD, I'd prefer to look at the new RAM dash, softer materials & more luxurious.

The new Ram? Have't personally touched one but in the pics it looks no softer then the new Silverado's dash (which I have't put my hands on either) The Rams dash has the blasted screen, its YUGE and is the big focal point. How many more features does the Ram have over the Chevy?

I personally find the new Ram quite boring on the outside. This new Chevy looks hot imo. Also hearing rumors that the sierra will have a different dash with stupid push button shifter.
New GM dash is great, I'm talking about the one above in the pics, circa 2009.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2018, 12:43:42 am »
I also prefer simplicity.  Why did separate dials for fan speed and temperature become inadequate for HVAC?  Some tech adds more complexity than meaningful convenience.

Thats just making thinks complicated for no reason. I don't get what was wrong with a few dials, simple, easy....why ruin it??

Worlds most idiotic, frustrating, time wasting user interface for HVAC, radio, seats, etc., was FORD's "MY TOUCH" circa 2011 thru 2015 with the first 2 years being the worst.  No question this chased legions of customers away from the brand.

Didn’t affect sales at all....

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2012/10/ford-brand-sales-figures-usa-canada/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2018, 01:30:14 am »
didn’t affect sales at all....

Exactly.

Numerous Class Action Lawsuits  ::) 

The documents from the 2013 lawsuit show Ford engineers believed the IVI, which was powered by the SYNC operating system launched in 2010, might be "unsaleable" and even described a later upgrade as a "polished turd," according to a report in the Detroit News, which was confirmed by Computerworld.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3130067/car-tech/ford-engineer-called-myford-touch-infotainment-system-a-polished-turd.html

Consumer groups from nine states are involved in the lawsuit against Ford. The lawsuit describes an IVI screen that would freeze or go blank; generate error messages that wouldn't go away; voice recognition and navigation systems that failed to work, problems wirelessly pairing with smartphones, and a generally slow system.

That's exactly what I experienced in a 2011 Lincoln MKZ 3.7 for 3 weeks on vacation in the US southwest.  Absolute junk. On the plus side I loved the 3.7 so it provided a catalyst for the 2015 Mustang buy.  Now we both have the same engines.  ;D     
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 01:46:54 am by ArticSteve »

Online BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2018, 08:27:12 am »
...a nice feature this truck also seems have is a "4WD Auto" setting...i know that was mentioned in here before (i think GM also has it, but Ford does not).

Unfortunately you have to step up to the Lariat to get AWD on the Ford.  Friend of mine says the GM unit is shi# - can't be used in the dry (his bud is head of local GM shop mechanic side), says they are not a good true AWD system.  Ford/Dodge better.

Have another friend who's looking to buy a new truck.  Can't get console shift on GM, no sale.  Hates column.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2018, 09:02:48 am »
Why would you want to use it in the dry?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2018, 09:40:24 am »
...a nice feature this truck also seems have is a "4WD Auto" setting...i know that was mentioned in here before (i think GM also has it, but Ford does not).

Unfortunately you have to step up to the Lariat to get AWD on the Ford.  Friend of mine says the GM unit is shi# - can't be used in the dry (his bud is head of local GM shop mechanic side), says they are not a good true AWD system.  Ford/Dodge better.

Have another friend who's looking to buy a new truck.  Can't get console shift on GM, no sale.  Hates column.

BS  ::)
Console shift in a truck is for guys with small :censor:  :rofl:

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2018, 09:49:42 am »
The AWD system on the last gen GMs (07-14) is known to have issues, specifically leaking axle seals.  My buddy with 200k on his is getting them done for the third time (2 times out of warranty).  He's a GM guy, and says the system is :censor:.  Can't speak for the other systems.

I think the system was only available on the GM Denali versions? I'm sure the GM guys on here would know.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2018, 09:51:13 am »
The AWD system on the last gen GMs (07-14) is known to have issues, specifically leaking axle seals.  My buddy with 200k on his is getting them done for the third time (2 times out of warranty).  He's a GM guy, and says the system is :censor:.  Can't speak for the other systems.
I have '11 Chevy , 135,000 km , no problems

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2018, 10:12:59 am »
I edited my post above, I must be wrong about its availability.  GM may have improved the system over the generation.  My buddy's truck is an '08.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2018, 10:20:40 am »
I edited my post above, I must be wrong about its availability.  GM may have improved the system over the generation.  My buddy's truck is an '08.

On my 03 I did have a seal go at 200,000 range

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2018, 10:33:40 am »
you guys are in the minority...customer's today want features...in order to manage the features, you need buttons, screens or both...while there are a fair amount of controls in the new Rebel, i still think they did a great job keeping everything in a logical area and made it look tidy...now weird swoopy angles, etc...keep in mind, the Rebel has a lot of tech, you're going to have more buttons than a 20 year old Chevy truck...even a new Chevy truck has more buttons than the old grey drab one shown.

you guys are a funny bunch...a vehicle has a bunch of buttons and it's too busy...so a vehicle has a simplistic look and you say it looks "too basic", or in the case of the new Volvos, you say it looks great and clean...then complain that if the display goes, so do all your features/adjustments.

I don’t understand why people want a car where you can’t see where you’re going if you want to control the hvac or radio.

That explains lane departure warnings.  It’s so you can adjust the volume on the radio.
i don't understand your post...none of what you mention is an issue with the new RAM Rebel.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2018, 10:40:51 am »

On my 03 I did have a seal go at 200,000 range

We may be talking about different systems AB.  I think you're talking about auto 4wd, and I'm talking about AWD.  Two different systems.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2018, 10:43:51 am »
Oh geez, that old GM dash layout is so cheap looking with craptastic materials, give your heads a shake guys!! Sure it's fine in a work truck that's trashed daily, but if I'm using it as my DD, I'd prefer to look at the new RAM dash, softer materials & more luxurious.

The new Ram? Have't personally touched one but in the pics it looks no softer then the new Silverado's dash (which I have't put my hands on either) The Rams dash has the blasted screen, its YUGE and is the big focal point. How many more features does the Ram have over the Chevy?

I personally find the new Ram quite boring on the outside. This new Chevy looks hot imo. Also hearing rumors that the sierra will have a different dash with stupid push button shifter.
i'm not sure about the "softness"...i'm speaking more about the tech and overall appearance...you can get tons of features in GM, Ford, etc as you move up the trim ladder as well...many of you are comparing stripper work truck trim to the fully loaded Limited RAM model (which has every feature under the sun)...the Rebel is more of a mid-line trim, so it still has a lot of the popular stuff, without going too far up the tech/price ladder...regarding how many more features it has versus the Chevy, we don't really know yet as neither truck has the full spec list shown (i think they don't come out for a few more months).

personally, i think the new Rebel is one of the best looking trucks, especially in the red/black combination (proportions, visual capability, etc).

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2018, 10:53:38 am »
Uggghhh, I hate the Rebel, supposedly looks aggressive, not an iota of equipment to back it up. Dodge makes a proper offroad truck that actually looks proper and can back up its stickers

Lighten up Francis.....