Author Topic: Preview: 2019 Chevrolet Silverado  (Read 23442 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: Preview: 2019 Chevrolet Silverado
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2018, 11:05:05 am »
Biggest issue with the Ram interior with that 12" screen is that you lose the HVAC knobs in place of buttons. I couldn't stand the HVAC buttons in the Cherokee I rented recently.

Automatic climate control, set and forget.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2018, 11:11:56 am »
Biggest issue with the Ram interior with that 12" screen is that you lose the HVAC knobs in place of buttons. I couldn't stand the HVAC buttons in the Cherokee I rented recently.

Fair enough. The Cherokee I rented lacked that.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2018, 11:26:47 am »

Manual climate controls with buttons? Now that sounds annoying.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2018, 04:56:11 pm »

I have had both.  Still prefer the manual.  Just like control.  Just like transmissions, give me the manual!

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2018, 06:35:23 pm »

I have had both.  Still prefer the manual.  Just like control.  Just like transmissions, give me the manual!
I much prefer automatic...I simply set the temp and rarely touch it again...with manual controls, you're always fidgeting around with it...my cars also have auto-defog, so if you are driving during high humidity times (rain, etc), as soon the humidity rises high enough inside that it would start to make your windows foggy, it automatically turns on the defroster to dry the air out and keep the windows clear.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2018, 09:40:14 pm »

I much prefer automatic...I simply set the temp and rarely touch it again...with manual controls, you're always fidgeting around with it...my cars also have auto-defog, so if you are driving during high humidity times (rain, etc), as soon the humidity rises high enough inside that it would start to make your windows foggy, it automatically turns on the defroster to dry the air out and keep the windows clear.

Yeah the manual ones are a PITA....I’d never buy another car with manual controls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2018, 12:30:27 am »

Yeah the manual ones are a PITA....I’d never buy another car with manual controls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ultimate deal breaker!

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2018, 07:19:57 am »
They're both horrible.  :hurl:

This is what a truck dashboard should look like:

:iagree:

The interior of all the new ones are overstyled and cluttered.

That's what I'm used to seeing in the BF's Silverado!  It works.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2018, 10:38:09 am »

of course it does, much like the way the stuff in the 80s worked too...this just works better.

it has the buttons if you like them, but still offers all the latest tech features that most of us want...it also looks clean and modern...i don't think it looks overstyled at all.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2018, 10:40:09 am »
Its still got that stupid radio knob as a shifter....no sale!!!
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2018, 10:51:09 am »

of course it does, much like the way the stuff in the 80s worked too...this just works better.

it has the buttons if you like them, but still offers all the latest tech features that most of us want...it also looks clean and modern...i don't think it looks overstyled at all.

I'll take the top one. We must begetting near some sort max on the old  pendulum, So much busy crap in these new designs. I would buy the top one. Less is more.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2018, 10:53:56 am »

You know, this has everything you need arranged in a logical fashion. No idiotic touchscreens, no glued on Ipads, no moronic knobs to shift in and out of park and drive. I like it, looks proper.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2018, 10:58:43 am »
I agree. You know instantly where everything is without having to take your eyes off the road. Such a novel concept.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2018, 11:01:42 am »
I agree. You know instantly where everything is without having to take your eyes off the road. Such a novel concept.

And thats all I ask from my vehicles. I can change the radio or the HVAC settings without having to scroll through 14 useless menu screens. Oh, and wait till these craptastic Ipads start failing, they will cause a vehicle to be written off.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2018, 12:19:32 pm »
you guys are in the minority...customer's today want features...in order to manage the features, you need buttons, screens or both...while there are a fair amount of controls in the new Rebel, i still think they did a great job keeping everything in a logical area and made it look tidy...now weird swoopy angles, etc...keep in mind, the Rebel has a lot of tech, you're going to have more buttons than a 20 year old Chevy truck...even a new Chevy truck has more buttons than the old grey drab one shown.

you guys are a funny bunch...a vehicle has a bunch of buttons and it's too busy...so a vehicle has a simplistic look and you say it looks "too basic", or in the case of the new Volvos, you say it looks great and clean...then complain that if the display goes, so do all your features/adjustments.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2018, 12:23:43 pm »
I like the restrained interior styling in VW/Audi and Volvo.

I don't like superfluous bezels, multiple colours, textures and random cutlines all over the dash.

I'm ok with touch screens that are easy to use, uConnect being about the best. I don't mind buttons either, as long as they are easy to differentiate and logically organised.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2018, 12:25:31 pm »
I like the restrained interior styling in VW/Audi and Volvo.

I don't like superfluous bezels, multiple colours, textures and random cutlines all over the dash.

I'm ok with touch screens that are easy to use, uConnect being about the best. I don't mind buttons either, as long as they are easy to differentiate and logically organised.
i am with you on all points...and to my eye, i find that the RAM has done a good job keeping the buttons in sections where they belong (HVAC, ride control, etc)...considering many cars are getting more tech nowadays, many of the buttons are likely rarely used (everything is auto).

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2018, 12:25:41 pm »
you guys are in the minority...customer's today want features...in order to manage the features, you need buttons, screens or both...while there are a fair amount of controls in the new Rebel, i still think they did a great job keeping everything in a logical area and made it look tidy...now weird swoopy angles, etc...keep in mind, the Rebel has a lot of tech, you're going to have more buttons than a 20 year old Chevy truck...even a new Chevy truck has more buttons than the old grey drab one shown.

you guys are a funny bunch...a vehicle has a bunch of buttons and it's too busy...so a vehicle has a simplistic look and you say it looks "too basic", or in the case of the new Volvos, you say it looks great and clean...then complain that if the display goes, so do all your features/adjustments.

Don't need excessive buttons or screen displays. Go back and look at the old Chevy dash again, it has neither. Just enough buttons and knobs to get the job done. Nothing more. And the best invention: column shifter.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2018, 12:28:27 pm »
Don't need excessive buttons or screen displays. Go back and look at the old Chevy dash again, it has neither. Just enough buttons and knobs to get the job done. Nothing more.
of course it has neither, because it has NO features...people today are asking for features, so you're getting them.

And the best invention: column shifter.
sure, makes sense when you have a mechanical connection to the linkage...this vehicle (like many others) are electronic therefore no mechanical link is required...a nice feature this truck also seems have is a "4WD Auto" setting...i know that was mentioned in here before (i think GM also has it, but Ford does not).

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2018, 12:28:53 pm »

No no, I like buttons, buttons are easy to memorize. Subfolder b in menu c to get the heated seats on, no thank you.