Author Topic: Dent buys a semi convertible thing 2017 Mazda MX-5 RF GT  (Read 21984 times)

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
Re: Dent buys a semi convertible thing 2017 Mazda MX-5 RF GT
« Reply #160 on: July 06, 2021, 02:24:06 pm »
The sounds tube seemed to bring in more of the harsh sounds probably related to the direct injection. I swear it sounds a little better now but could be a placebo effect.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #161 on: July 06, 2021, 02:33:09 pm »
It's like a diesel on cold starts and doesn't sound great when hot, either.

Agree 100%.  Miss Peanut sounds like a diesel with pneumonia on winter mornings.

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #162 on: July 06, 2021, 02:55:22 pm »

R.E. Mazda Skyactive Sounds.... that's because of the Direct Injection

R.E. Honda K Engine - that's a major part of the draw of a K-Series engine.

Yeah maybe, though I think a 17 Civic 2.0 I test drove before still sounded better and that was DI. Haven't spent a lot of time with DI I4 engines to know if they all sound like that.

The sounds tube seemed to bring in more of the harsh sounds probably related to the direct injection. I swear it sounds a little better now but could be a placebo effect.

That's one thing with DI I4 engines, there is no place to place a sound-deadening material to mute the DI ticking sounds, and to people who are not familiar with DI engines, that sound can be concerning.

On Gen V LT1, there is a piece of foam that goes above the valley of the V, just below the intake manifold to deaden the DI ticking sound so it's not nearly as audible.

It's like a diesel on cold starts and doesn't sound great when hot, either.

Agree 100%.  Miss Peanut sounds like a diesel with pneumonia on winter mornings.

That's not too weird, actually, given how Skyactiv works. DI, high compression ratio are both characteristics of a diesel engine. The 2.5T is practically a diesel engine that burns gas, with a turbo and a torque/power curve to match.

And then there is the VVT, which adjusts the exhaust valve timing to reduce cold emissions and warm up the car quicker.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 02:58:15 pm by UnknownJinX »

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 06, 2021, 07:20:53 pm »
^^ The 2017 Civic 2 litre was not direct injected. The 1.5 Turbo was however. Same setup for 2022.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #164 on: July 08, 2021, 08:36:02 am »
After spending a week with a RF GT manual, I would really like to get my hands on a more basic GS softop without the sport suspension kit that comes with most manual ND MX-5's. My tester had bad up and down motions on "superslabs" and would beat us up like sneakers in a dryer on bad roads. The rear view mirror is in a constant fuzz. I had a lot of fun with the RF of course, clocking more km's than with any other pandemic-era tester, but I don't think I could tolerate one for commuting duty. Mustang PP1 and Camaro 1LE were ES350's in comparison. Dent, how do you find it?
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 09, 2021, 12:57:01 am »
Oddly, I find the suspension really quite soft and swallows bumps better than I would have though. Way, way better than the stiff riding Fairlady Z I had. The rear view mirror is rock solid. Weird. I took mine camping. I just put almost 1k kms on mine today including some gravel roads and many, many secondary highways.

Update soon.

On a more annoying note some bro-dozer tossed a rock and badly chipped the windshield right in front of the driver.  >:(

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #166 on: July 09, 2021, 08:05:38 am »
Oddly, I find the suspension really quite soft and swallows bumps better than I would have though. Way, way better than the stiff riding Fairlady Z I had. The rear view mirror is rock solid. Weird. I took mine camping. I just put almost 1k kms on mine today including some gravel roads and many, many secondary highways.

Update soon.

On a more annoying note some bro-dozer tossed a rock and badly chipped the windshield right in front of the driver.  >:(

My tester was fairly new, so there's that, and come to think of it I did not check the tire pressures. But that would not have cured the vertical motions. The MX-5 was more refined than the TR6, of course, but not as much as expected. And then there's Quebec roads. Gravel is often better...

This is a typical ramp: https://goo.gl/maps/B8hMg9aEZU6RK4519

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 09, 2021, 11:16:56 am »
Apparently it is super common for the dealer to with ultra high tire pressure according to the Miata forum. Even the family remarked on how well it rides. Alberta roads are pretty lousy as well. I don't think they made any major suspension changes since my car. I dunno.