Author Topic: Buick Regal turbo rental review  (Read 1083 times)

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
Buick Regal turbo rental review
« on: March 09, 2017, 03:58:19 pm »
We just rented a Buick Regal Turbo for 5 days, and I came away very impressed. It probably doesn't get more "sleeper" than a midsize Buick in Metallic Beige, with AWD and 295 lbs/ft torque  :P

Here are some Pros and Cons:

Pros

- abundant passing power and straightline performance
- predictable, if slightly wallowy, cornering and handling
- sleeper appearance
- comfortable
- confidence-inspiring AWD
- very audible turbo "whoosh"
- smooth and steady highway ride
- responsive manual-mode (given it's a slushbox with only 6 speeds)
- decent mileage, given weight and performance
- it takes 87 octane

Cons

- vague and overly-boosted steering
- busy and unintuitive infotainment controls
- too much chrome, inside and out
- somewhat inefficient packaging: short-ish wheelbase for a long-ish car, including long front overhang
- very audible turbo "whoosh" (I could see it getting old)
- would have liked a sport-mode in the transmission
- Uninspiring - though inoffensive - exterior styling

I believe some of the performance/handling quibbles would be addressed with the uplevel "GS" trim, but I wouldn't have been so interested in the GS's low-profile 19-inch tires.

Having enjoyed Dodge Chargers and Ecoboost Fusions that i've rented in the past, this Buick was more of the same: a quick, dynamically competent - if not pulse-quickening - American mid-size AWD sedan, and a great used value.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 04:06:30 pm by lebowski »

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
Re: Buick Regal turbo rental review
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 06:38:12 pm »
I would agree with you except for me the interior is awful and the front seats are like park benches. The front end needs a redesign 5 years ago, though the GS addresses this somewhat.

Yeah, I can see long-term, the annoyances I noted on the interior would become increasingly bothersome - I found the seat comfort decent, once I played around with the  lumbar support, but they no doubt pale in comparison to, say, Volvo's seats.