Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2017 Audi Q7 vs 2016 Volvo XC90  (Read 25232 times)

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
Re: Comparison Test: 2017 Audi Q7 vs 2016 Volvo XC90
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2016, 11:00:01 pm »

I knew you'd pipe in. If I want to take the fackin swing to the in laws so the baby is easier and I can have a couple drinks, I'll take the swing.  ;D :P :rofl2: ps No babies in my house anymore.

How big is the facking swing??  The kind from a playground??   :rofl2:

We had one...it fit in the trunk.  Just sayin'.   ;D

With the dog too right? Everybody's scenario must be the same.  Just sayin'.  ;) :P

Yes, we had a dog.  He was belted in and took one seat to himself. 80 lbs.

Something similar to this.  Though we only took him when we needed to.  For example, a visit to the grand parentals for a few hours he was left at home.

Have one of those. You had two kids in the back too right? Or three?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 11:02:49 pm by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2016, 11:03:03 pm »

Have one of those. You had two kids in the back too right?

We only have 1 kid.  But yes, had 2 kids in the back with the dog before.  Felt sorry for the dog though!  Being in the middle of 2 young kids?  Poor thing!  :rofl: 

But like I said.  Dog only came in the car as needed.  We weren't those people who felt the need to bring the dog everywhere we went regardless of how long we were gone.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2016, 11:10:10 pm »
Sigh...now I miss my dog.   :'(

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2016, 11:15:26 pm »

We only have 1 kid.  But yes, had 2 kids in the back with the dog before.  Felt sorry for the dog though!  Being in the middle of 2 young kids?  Poor thing!  :rofl: 

But like I said.  Dog only came in the car as needed.  We weren't those people who felt the need to bring the dog everywhere we went regardless of how long we were gone.

We travel overnight regularly. The dog comes with in that scenario. Dog is not riding in the back seat with the kids on an extended trip. Not fair to anyone. Dog must go in the trunk then if I'm taking a sedan. Either that or kids in the trunk. My point is that everyone's scenario is different, and just because someone has kids and buys an SUV doesn't mean they're not as awesome as yourself.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2016, 11:19:25 pm »

We travel overnight regularly. The dog comes with in that scenario. Dog is not riding in the back seat with the kids on an extended trip. Not fair to anyone. Dog must go in the trunk then if I'm taking a sedan. Either that or kids in the trunk. My point is that everyone's scenario is different, and just because someone has kids and buys an SUV doesn't mean they're not as awesome as yourself.

I'm not awesome.  Just practical.

But I suppose anyone could dream up any manner of special scenarios to justify the excuse to buy a minivan/SUV.   We were not those people.

Now of course if you have a family of 5-6 (or similar) then a van/SUV makes sense.  But my comments are directed to those people who get pregnant and instantly go shopping for a van/SUV. It seems almost everyone with a single child feels that a van/SUV is needed.  For whatever reason.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 11:41:20 pm by rrocket »

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2016, 11:53:07 pm »
We were not those people.

Heaven forbid   :P

You own a Forester, no?   :rofl2:

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2016, 11:55:58 pm »
Volvo all the way. Not so sure about the 4-cyl thing, but I dont care. That thing is just too sexy.

But honestly, the V60 is better in every regard for a family mover with a hatch.

You mean aside from passenger space, the ability to carry seven people, cargo space, and towing capacity, right?

yes yes yes those things  :P

How often do you carry seven people in any car? I have NEVER been in one nor seen one fully loaded. Passenger space...sure. Found back seats to both be comfy and roomy. A wash. And I never tow. And would you tow with a 4cyl? Me neither. So again, a wash. Cargo space? Sure, it has a bit more. How often do you fill yours up to the brim? The V60 has plenty of room for whatever you want IMO.

I know not everyone's needs are same as mine, but honestly, do you really need all that stuff to ferry you, the wife, and your kid around?

I always love how the peeps with no kids pipe up about not needing the space with kids.  Throw a dog in the mix also.  Of course the v60 is better in every regard.  :rofl2:

We got by with a small sedan and coupes with the kid.  *SHRUGS*  Would have been the same with 2 kids.

However, we were different in that we didn't bring a weeks worth of supplies to drop the kid off for a play date or something.  So there was never a need for anything bigger.

exactly...thank you for speaking sense. You dont need a giant barge to ferry about your little ones. I was raised in the back of a Camaro & then a Pontiac Sunfire coupe with my brother, no problem. We also had a dog! He sat in the middle, happy as a clam.

I have had kids in the back of my "tiny" midsize sedans, both the Saab 9-3 and the Alfa 155, and the dog too. Everything was fine. There is a trunk for their stuff and groceries etc. Lots of room. A wagon just means the dog doesnt have to share a bench seat with the kids.

I may not have kids, but I take care of the nephews often, and the little sedan does just fine. No need for HMCS Landbarge to drive about the wife and 2 kids. 3 or more kids...yeah you need a bus. And a vasectomy  :P

I know my scenario is not like everyone's - rarely for extended multi-hour trips with the nephews, and dog used to only come if gone for more than a few days [roommate would take care of her otherwise]. But just because you have one child, doesnt mean you have to give up on driving enjoyment, fuel economy, etc. by getting a giant tank/baby stroller. Be practical and economical, you dont need to bring the whole house just for a trip to grandmas  ;D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 12:03:33 am by ChaosphereIX »
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2016, 12:03:50 am »

Not for kid hauling duties, no.  It was a winter beater for my 911 or for when we're snowed in.  We live on a road by the lake.  Lake effect snow makes it impassable. 911 sucked for this.   ;D  And because IQ is a nurse, sick people don't wait on good weather.  We use it only a few times per year, actually. And it's usually just for MY road, because the plow trucks don't come on our little road...whereas the main roads are usually passable with just winter tires on our sedans.  Insurance is off until the first REAL snowfall of the year, then it goes off again in March.

Also...it cost less than $1K.   ;D  Also, it's a POS and I simply couldn't drive it everyday.   :rofl2:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 12:05:44 am by rrocket »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2016, 12:06:06 am »

But I suppose anyone could dream up any manner of special scenarios to justify the excuse to buy a minivan/SUV.   We were not those people.

And on the flip side is no practical way I could survive without a proper 3 row SUV. My vehicle demands are not special scenarios, just everyday life. Lets see:

- 3 kids
- I coach soccer and hockey. My SUV is always stuffed with equipment and kids. LR4 is almost too small some weekends
- I pull a variety of trailers and boats ranging from 500-6500 lbs (not often but around 10 times per year)
- I live close to the Rockies and like to go skiing during snowfall warnings. As JohnGenx will tell you 40cm+ unplowed trailhead roads.
- we explore lots of decommissioned logging roads for fun/camping/mtn biking.
-I tend to sleep in my vehicle while in the mountains. Too lazy to set up a tent if getting a proper alpine start the next morning..

Outside of a proper SUV I may be able to make a Sienna AWD work but then I would have to use runflats and I hate runflats. ;D

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2016, 12:08:23 am »

Not for kid hauling duties, no.  It was a winter beater for my 911 or for when we're snowed in.  We live on a road by the lake.  Lake effect snow makes it impassable. 911 sucked for this.   ;D  And because IQ is a nurse, sick people don't wait on good weather.  We use it only a few times per year, actually. And it's usually just for MY road, because the plow trucks don't come on our little road...whereas the main roads are usually passable with just winter tires on our sedans.  Insurance is off until the first REAL snowfall of the year, then it goes off again in March.

Also...it cost less than $1K.   ;D

really good idea there, as someone who worked in a hospital for 7 years with my wife, I fully understand the need for a vehicle that can get to work no matter what...flood, hailstorm, tornado...because you know on the other end is a poor sap pulling overtime and just wants to go home...

might think about a Forester as a beater - how does it handle sitting for a long, long time? Hoses and fluids all good?

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2016, 12:12:06 am »

And on the flip side is no practical way I could survive without a proper 3 row SUV. My vehicle demands are not special scenarios, just everyday life. Lets see:

- 3 kids
- I coach soccer and hockey. My SUV is always stuffed with equipment and kids. LR4 is almost too small some weekends
- I pull a variety of trailers and boats ranging from 500-6500 lbs (not often but around 10 times per year)
- I live close to the Rockies and like to go skiing during snowfall warnings. As JohnGenx will tell you 40cm+ unplowed trailhead roads.
-I tend to sleep in my vehicle while in the mountains. Too lazy to set up a tent if getting a proper alpine start the next morning..

Outside of a proper SUV I may be able to make a Sienna AWD work but then I would have to use runflats and I hate runflats. ;D

wow...you sir dont need a Sienna AWD or a SUV, you are a perfect candidate for either of these:

« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 12:14:41 am by ChaosphereIX »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2016, 12:15:46 am »

really good idea there, as someone who worked in a hospital for 7 years with my wife, I fully understand the need for a vehicle that can get to work no matter what...flood, hailstorm, tornado...because you know on the other end is a poor sap pulling overtime and just wants to go home...

might think about a Forester as a beater - how does it handle sitting for a long, long time? Hoses and fluids all good?

It's stupid, really.  It's just our road that really sucks.  All ~750m of it.  Once you're off that?  No need for AWD.  And would be no need if the plow trucks came before 5pm.  I guess this is my contribution to community health.   ;D

Seems to handle fine sitting around.  I keep the battery on a tender.  I use once per year synthetic oil and filter...so no worries there.  It's a beater, so I don't show it any more love than I need to.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2016, 12:19:16 am »

- 3 kids

Yes, this seems to be a real need for you...especially based on geographical location.  However...most people not so much.  I'm thinking of every single person I know with a huge van/SUV.  2 kids or less.

I think mmret has run into this recently with his wife!  Needs a minivan now!   And a fully loaded one too it seems!   :rofl2:  This despite the sweet wagon they already have.   :rofl:

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2016, 09:49:37 am »

Heaven forbid   [emoji14]

It's stupid, really.  It's just our road that really sucks.  All ~750m of it.  Once you're off that?  No need for AWD.  And would be no need if the plow trucks came before 5pm.  I guess this is my contribution to community health.   ;D

Seems to handle fine sitting around.  I keep the battery on a tender.  I use once per year synthetic oil and filter...so no worries there.  It's a beater, so I don't show it any more love than I need to.
I'm guessing the Forester was cheaper than a bobcat.  For $1000 you can get one of these:. http://www.agricover.com/snowsport/180/

My dad has one for his acreage.  Works great.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2016, 10:02:42 am »
the Q7 looks too much like a wagon to my eyes

That's precisely why I prefer it over the tall boxy Volvo. 

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2016, 10:11:29 am »
While these comparisons to the good ole days are all fine, has anyone considered how much larger child safety equipment has gotten since then?

I regularly need to seat 5 and couldn't do it with 2 car seats (twins).  Most cars are way too narrow for that.  Even my mom's Taurus wagon couldn't accommodate, nor could my dad's ML.  Now my Odyssey easily can in the middle row.

We had three kids in compacts and mid sizers, although they (the cars) were much bigger then.  But there were no child safety seats back then either.  My 1st car, a ' 64 Dodge, didn't even have seat belts.  Upon reflection, We were lucky not to have had any collisions.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2016, 12:29:34 pm »
While these comparisons to the good ole days are all fine, has anyone considered how much larger child safety equipment has gotten since then?

I regularly need to seat 5 and couldn't do it with 2 car seats (twins).  Most cars are way too narrow for that.  Even my mom's Taurus wagon couldn't accommodate, nor could my dad's ML.  Now my Odyssey easily can in the middle row.

We had three kids in compacts and mid sizers, although they (the cars) were much bigger then.  But there were no child safety seats back then either.  My 1st car, a ' 64 Dodge, didn't even have seat belts.  Upon reflection, We were lucky not to have had any collisions.
That's exactly what I thought.  I mean there wasn't much regulation even in the early 80s, which is when I was a kid.  I remember not being in a car seat or booster or even belted in at that age.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2016, 04:02:31 pm »

Yes, this seems to be a real need for you...especially based on geographical location.  However...most people not so much.  I'm thinking of every single person I know with a huge van/SUV.  2 kids or less.

I think mmret has run into this recently with his wife!  Needs a minivan now!   And a fully loaded one too it seems!   :rofl2:  This despite the sweet wagon they already have.:rofl:

Well, you'll be glad to know there are still some sane people out there, e.g. my bro-in-law. I think I wrote a while back about visiting him and getting to tool around in his weekend toy: a RAM 1500 quad cab. He used it for beach shenanigans and hauling construction / yard stuff (they were building their cottage at the time).

Fast forward 6 months: the twin girls have arrived (joining their 3 year-old brother), the house is finished, and they need more room inside the car. Bro-in-law loves trucks and figured a good "compromise" would be a new Suburban. After discovering how expensive they were, he reassessed what they really "needed" and if the Suburban wouldn't be tremendous overkill (despite looking very badass). Logic prevailed, and he is now the proud owner of a 2016 Sienna. He misses the bejeezus out of his truck, but he admits the minivan makes so much more sense than even a large SUV, let alone a pickup.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2016, 11:43:02 pm »

I think mmret has run into this recently with his wife!  Needs a minivan now!   And a fully loaded one too it seems!   :rofl2:  This despite the sweet wagon they already have.:rofl:

Well, you'll be glad to know there are still some sane people out there, e.g. my bro-in-law. I think I wrote a while back about visiting him and getting to tool around in his weekend toy: a RAM 1500 quad cab. He used it for beach shenanigans and hauling construction / yard stuff (they were building their cottage at the time).

Fast forward 6 months: the twin girls have arrived (joining their 3 year-old brother), the house is finished, and they need more room inside the car. Bro-in-law loves trucks and figured a good "compromise" would be a new Suburban. After discovering how expensive they were, he reassessed what they really "needed" and if the Suburban wouldn't be tremendous overkill (despite looking very badass). Logic prevailed, and he is now the proud owner of a 2016 Sienna. He misses the bejeezus out of his truck, but he admits the minivan makes so much more sense than even a large SUV, let alone a pickup.
This.