Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS vs 2015 Jaguar F-Type R AWD  (Read 13337 times)

Offline roundupready

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-12
    • View Profile
Re: Comparison Test: 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS vs 2015 Jaguar F-Type R AWD
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2015, 03:24:35 pm »
Great comparison article. Great photos too! Enjoyed reading every word of it.   :)
---------------------------
2013 328 xDrive
2010 Legacy 3.6R LTD
2005 Legacy GT 5EAT Stage 2

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2015, 04:45:28 pm »
Seeing both on the road - I prefer the 911 by quite a bit.  The Jag looks pretty cool, but the 911 is very distinctive and looks more like a more well integrated package.  The Jag has some of the problem that the GT-R has in that non-enthusiasts looks and think "not sure what that is..."

And this might sound nuts, but I have to think the build quality on the 911 will be vastly superior to the Jag.  Not sure if that's true, but it's my gut feeling.

The GT-R does absolutely nothing for me.  I know it's quick and fast and a performance monster, but I've never warmed to the styling and after spending time on the track with the new Miata, I know I certainly don't need the fastest, highest-performance machine out there. 

It's become clear that I desire a driving experience that's more visceral than overly calculated. 

I've been an obsessive Porsche fan since childhood.  I went into this test with a barely contained bias, but that Jag won me over.

At one point, on our drive back to the city, Jonathan and I passed a school bus full of kids on the highway.  He was in the Porsche and I watched as he passed them, and none of the kids gave the 911 a second look.  As I pulled along side the bus, I noticed several excited faces pressed to the windows.  Naturally I felt obliged to pace the bus for a moment, turn on the loud pipes button and give the kiddies a concert from the Jaguar's quad pipes. 

A car like this is supposed to be FUN.  It's supposed to make you grin maniacally every time you drive it.  The Porsche is brilliant, but the Jag is the car of passion. 

Oh, and as for quality.. if I recall correctly, both had minor interior 'glitches' despite their price. 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2015, 05:04:42 pm »
wow...the article was great, and i too like the Jag (i like the Porsche too), but the part of the article that got me saying "Whaaaat??" is the link at the end for a 1987 Porsche 911 Turbo, with almost 60,000 kms on it for $135k...really??
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2015, 05:08:27 pm »
Naturally I felt obliged to pace the bus for a moment, turn on the loud pipes button and give the kiddies a concert from the Jaguar's quad pipes. 

Apparently the "new Jag"'s target market:

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2015, 07:44:59 pm »
^ Looks like Michael Wekerle.  :rofl:

911 for me!  I like the Jag, but the slightest indication of interior cheapness at this price range would be unacceptable. It would be much more acceptable at the C7s price range though.  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2015, 08:13:47 pm »

It's become clear that I desire a driving experience that's more visceral than overly calculated. 

I've read several articles that said the GT-R was as much and more visceral than a GT3.  And I tend to agree having sampled both.  They are both light-your-hair-on-fire, crazy cars. 

I have to think that anyone that thinks the GT-R isn't a visceral experience hasn't really driven one properly.  Now it would not feel "lightweight" like a Miata, but to me it's a more visceral feel than a Miata could ever be.  Although a Miata is very fun to drive and handles brilliantly, its lack of power puts me to sleep.  A visceral car doesn't lull one to sleep IMO.

Was my Supra visceral to you, Jeff?  Perhaps our definitions of "visceral" are different.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2015, 08:22:07 pm »

I've read several articles that said the GT-R was as much and more visceral than a GT3.  And I tend to agree having sampled both.  They are both light-your-hair-on-fire, crazy cars. 

I have to think that anyone that thinks the GT-R isn't a visceral experience hasn't really driven one properly.  Now it would not feel "lightweight" like a Miata, but to me it's a more visceral feel than a Miata could ever be.  Although a Miata is very fun to drive and handles brilliantly, its lack of power puts me to sleep.  A visceral car doesn't lull one to sleep IMO.

Was my Supra visceral to you, Jeff?  Perhaps our definitions of "visceral" are different.
Agreed.  Driving the GT-R is certainly a visceral experience.

And yes, the prices on those old 911s is crazy.  I'd rather buy a used 997.2.

And yes, GT-R Black Edition or C7 with Z51 gets my vote.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2015, 11:54:05 am »
Jag for me hands down. 911 is so tryhard. Not having driven either, however, I am merely an armchair general on this one - but the Jag for me.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2015, 10:01:52 am »
Seeing both on the road - I prefer the 911 by quite a bit.  The Jag looks pretty cool, but the 911 is very distinctive and looks more like a more well integrated package.  The Jag has some of the problem that the GT-R has in that non-enthusiasts looks and think "not sure what that is..."

And this might sound nuts, but I have to think the build quality on the 911 will be vastly superior to the Jag.  Not sure if that's true, but it's my gut feeling.

The GT-R does absolutely nothing for me.  I know it's quick and fast and a performance monster, but I've never warmed to the styling and after spending time on the track with the new Miata, I know I certainly don't need the fastest, highest-performance machine out there. 

I've been an obsessive Porsche fan since childhood.  I went into this test with a barely contained bias, but that Jag won me over.

At one point, on our drive back to the city, Jonathan and I passed a school bus full of kids on the highway.  He was in the Porsche and I watched as he passed them, and none of the kids gave the 911 a second look.  As I pulled along side the bus, I noticed several excited faces pressed to the windows.  Naturally I felt obliged to pace the bus for a moment, turn on the loud pipes button and give the kiddies a concert from the Jaguar's quad pipes. 

A car like this is supposed to be FUN.  It's supposed to make you grin maniacally every time you drive it.  The Porsche is brilliant, but the Jag is the car of passion. 

Oh, and as for quality.. if I recall correctly, both had minor interior 'glitches' despite their price.

What were the glitches in the Porsche? if you're talking ergonomics, yeah, the buttons are kinda crazy, but fit and finish were impeccable, where the Jag felt a little rough around the edges (back of the steering wheel stuff and some interior plastics and fit).

reliability might go either way, but initial build quality and materials the Porsche is vastly superior.

As to the GT-R comments - yeah it is visceral, but it is more of a sledgehammer, while the Jag and Porsche are both bladed weapons. the GT-R is always violent, in a truly spectacular way, though it has been years since i drove in one and they have supposedly added quite a bit of refinement over the years. damn i would love to get back in one. And no question the Vette is better value, but i'd still buy a 911 first, then a Vette or GT-R.

oh, and here were some comments from a colleague at the office that got rides in each of them:

WOW! Those are amazing. Sheesh.

Ok here are some of my thoughts:

Porsche:
the details in the interior like the stitching and the red striped seat belt were amazing. Getting in the seat was like sitting in your fav comfy chair – it hugs your body perfectly. Surprisingly roomy – lots of space for my legs. I liked the back seat – it was small but you could still fit a third person in it – or at least a child.

Taking corners was like turning in an airplane---your tummy tickled buy I didn’t move in  my seat or felt like I needed to hold onto the “oh :censor:” handle to stay in place.

The engine noise was racy and growly but discreet especially coming from the back end of the car. Head turning for sure. You definitely felt the power but also, as a passenger anyway, felt like the car was in complete control (or maybe that was just the expert driver)

Acceleration took my breath away…literally. It was like riding a rollercoaster.

So classy, sleek, beautiful, expensive – a stunner for sure.

Jag:
Handsome, imposing, majestic.

Interior wasn’t as “Handmade” or sharp looking as the Porsche with less attention to detail but definitely luxurious
The pop up vents were a really cool feature. Lots of leg room…but no back seat.

The engine just roared which was kind of awe inspiring. But for me, the everyday driver, maybe a little too loud (don’t yell at me)

The car had a bigger body and the front end was kind of long. There was no mistaking it’s power but I felt it was more racecar-esque (not a word I know...)

The back end looked like the Batmobile. Rims were gorgeous.

It also completely took my breath away when it accelerated – like A LOT.

For me though – this is not so much your everyday practical car – the Porsche hands down takes it for me.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2015, 07:08:52 pm »

What were the glitches in the Porsche? if you're talking ergonomics, yeah, the buttons are kinda crazy, but fit and finish were impeccable, where the Jag felt a little rough around the edges (back of the steering wheel stuff and some interior plastics and fit).

reliability might go either way, but initial build quality and materials the Porsche is vastly superior.

As to the GT-R comments - yeah it is visceral, but it is more of a sledgehammer, while the Jag and Porsche are both bladed weapons. the GT-R is always violent, in a truly spectacular way, though it has been years since i drove in one and they have supposedly added quite a bit of refinement over the years. damn i would love to get back in one. And no question the Vette is better value, but i'd still buy a 911 first, then a Vette or GT-R.

oh, and here were some comments from a colleague at the office that got rides in each of them:

WOW! Those are amazing. Sheesh.

Ok here are some of my thoughts:

Porsche:
the details in the interior like the stitching and the red striped seat belt were amazing. Getting in the seat was like sitting in your fav comfy chair – it hugs your body perfectly. Surprisingly roomy – lots of space for my legs. I liked the back seat – it was small but you could still fit a third person in it – or at least a child.

Taking corners was like turning in an airplane---your tummy tickled buy I didn’t move in  my seat or felt like I needed to hold onto the “oh :censor:” handle to stay in place.

The engine noise was racy and growly but discreet especially coming from the back end of the car. Head turning for sure. You definitely felt the power but also, as a passenger anyway, felt like the car was in complete control (or maybe that was just the expert driver)

Acceleration took my breath away…literally. It was like riding a rollercoaster.

So classy, sleek, beautiful, expensive – a stunner for sure.

Jag:
Handsome, imposing, majestic.

Interior wasn’t as “Handmade” or sharp looking as the Porsche with less attention to detail but definitely luxurious
The pop up vents were a really cool feature. Lots of leg room…but no back seat.

The engine just roared which was kind of awe inspiring. But for me, the everyday driver, maybe a little too loud (don’t yell at me)

The car had a bigger body and the front end was kind of long. There was no mistaking it’s power but I felt it was more racecar-esque (not a word I know...)

The back end looked like the Batmobile. Rims were gorgeous.

It also completely took my breath away when it accelerated – like A LOT.

For me though – this is not so much your everyday practical car – the Porsche hands down takes it for me.

Those points your colleague made that I bolded are exactly what it felt like to me riding as a passenger in my friends 2012 GT-R on the road course.