Author Topic: Green Car Journal names finalists for 2016 green car award  (Read 3238 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Green Car Journal names finalists for 2016 green car award
« on: October 15, 2015, 09:25:08 am »
Awards honour best and brightest fuel-efficient cars
Read More...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Green Car Journal names finalists for 2016 green car award
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 09:27:16 am »
Why don't I see a TDI?

The year they gave the award to the Chevrolet Tahoe 'Hybrid' is the year I stopped taking this award seriously. 

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 09:50:15 am »
Ta HO is the bestest and brighteness Green Kar......signed the NEW KERMIT :D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 12:24:24 pm »
If the Audi eTron doesn't win it, we're going to have problems.

Civic sedan - really?  Depending on distance, some of these competitors can use literally zero fuel.  The Civic?  Nope.  Don't let this be another Ecoboost marketing campaign - a downsized turbo Civic does not equate to "green car of the year".

The new Prius and Volt, being existing cars with slight updates, will be really neat - but the eTron is all new (to our shores, at least).

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 07:04:10 pm »

Civic sedan - really?  Depending on distance, some of these competitors can use literally zero fuel.  The Civic?  Nope.  Don't let this be another Ecoboost marketing campaign - a downsized turbo Civic does not equate to "green car of the year".

The new Prius and Volt, being existing cars with slight updates, will be really neat - but the eTron is all new (to our shores, at least).

All cars use some fuel, just different types.  Nothing uses "zero" fuel.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 09:04:31 am »
Nitpicking, much?

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 09:39:38 am »
Was the 2016 30kWh Leaf ever considered? It's the "greenest" of the bunch with Zero tailpipe emissions and longest electric range.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 10:19:54 am »

Out of all those cars, the Civic Sedan is likely literally the greenest.  It will cost the least to build, and have used the least resources, as well as the least damaging.  Not sure if you realize this, but mining the materials for the batteries of hybrids and electric vehicles is extremely energy intensive.  Then the processing methods used to refine the battery materials is also very intensive, and uses a whole lot of very bad materials that have to be discarded somehow. 

I eriously doubt that the amount of energy saved through the working life of an electric car vs that of a conventional car will be equal or greater to the difference in energy used to build the two.  And this is assuming that the electricity used to power the electric car comes from green sources, rather than hydrocarbons.

The Civic sedan represents the latest and greatest effort of the conventional car.  It's cheap and economical to build, and with the latest advances in engine and emissions technology, conventional gasoline cars have NEVER been this efficient or little polluting.  And, let's face it, the masses aren't going to be buying hybrids or electric cars anytime soon.  So reducing the impact that conventional cars have on our environment and resources currently represents our best immediate chance at 'saving the planet'. 

So don't discount the little Civic as not being green.  I think when all things are considered, it's greener than all the rest.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 10:29:35 am »
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 10:43:45 am »
^^^ I've posted many times here a study of lifetime CO2 emissions of ICE and alternative power vehicles. Just search the forum for "CO2 footprint".
I'm not complaining about the Civic. It is "green" in its category and that's great. Not seeing the updated Leaf among the finalists makes me question their nomination approach.