Author Topic: Mazda3 so hot it catches fire...stop-sale order  (Read 11048 times)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Re: Mazda3 so hot it catches fire...stop-sale order
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2015, 01:09:44 pm »
Can't argue economic reality as the other manufacturers setting up, or already there, can attest. The 'perceived' quality issue is just that and selective imo.
Well, this represents one of what may, or may not be examples in support of that perception.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 12:32:30 pm by No-san »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2015, 11:13:35 pm »
Can't argue economic reality as the other manufacturers setting up, or already there, can attest. The 'perceived' quality issue is just that and selective imo.
Well, this represents one of what may, or may not be example in support of that perception.
i'm not sure what a faulty fuel valve has to do with where the car is assembled...as i've said before, the robots and automation at the new plants in Mexico are the same as the ones used here, and throughout the USA...an ABB robot, a Schuler press and a Siemens PLC are all the same regardless of the country they're installed in.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Ron

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Mazda 3 GT, 2012 Mazda 5 GT
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2015, 08:51:08 am »
^^^ This. I am curious also, but knowing ignorance runs deep I likely won't be surprised.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2015, 07:51:58 pm »
Well, this represents one of what may, or may not be example in support of that perception.
i'm not sure what a faulty fuel valve has to do with where the car is assembled...as i've said before, the robots and automation at the new plants in Mexico are the same as the ones used here, and throughout the USA...an ABB robot, a Schuler press and a Siemens PLC are all the same regardless of the country they're installed in.

As I was saying, it was reported in trade publications that Mazda had various quality control issues with everything being new - the plant, the workers, the suppliers, the relation with the suppliers. It's normal with a blank-sheet project such as this one, as Mazda did not have a foothold in Mexico prior to this. Like Nissan, GM, VW, Ford, FCA and others, things will improve over time.

I drove a Mexican-built Nissan for 6 years and it was pretty flawless, and I just bought another Mexican-built car, the Golf, probably the best-built vehicle I ever owned.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2015, 12:17:19 am »
As I was saying, it was reported in trade publications that Mazda had various quality control issues with everything being new - the plant, the workers, the suppliers, the relation with the suppliers. It's normal with a blank-sheet project such as this one, as Mazda did not have a foothold in Mexico prior to this. Like Nissan, GM, VW, Ford, FCA and others, things will improve over time.

I drove a Mexican-built Nissan for 6 years and it was pretty flawless, and I just bought another Mexican-built car, the Golf, probably the best-built vehicle I ever owned.
agreed...those initial issues have more to do with everything being new, not with it being in Mexico...if it were located in South Carolina, they'd likely have similar issues until all the kinks are worked out.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2015, 12:06:10 pm »
Expect other issues like these as the relationship between Mazda and its new Mexican suppliers ramps up to speed. For those who don't know yet: NA-market Mazda3's are built in Mexico, along with the upcoming new Mazda2, and the Toyota Yaris sedan / Scion iA twins. The plant is brand new, Mazda's first in that country, so learning curve ahead.

GTs are built in Japan.

80% then are Echo in Mexico, if not more. GTs are pretty rare.

Lol, hecho en Mexico.

No, no: Echo in Mexico  ;D

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2015, 07:36:37 pm »

No, no: Echo in Mexico  ;D

meh...likely a failed ball joint or suspension link...happens to people who often don't have their vehicles maintained or checked out regularly...quite often, they clunk and make a lot of noise before failing.