Author Topic: First Convertible Flagship Mercedes in 40 Years  (Read 1588 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Convertible Flagship Mercedes in 40 Years
« on: September 15, 2015, 07:00:36 am »
 Mercedes-Benz unveils new S-Class Cabriolet in Frankfurt.
Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Re: First Convertible Flagship Mercedes in 40 Years
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 08:56:21 am »
At first glance:
well...it's like the E-class 'vert, but a little bigger and with a much better-looking rear end.

After reading about the features, especially:
The Aircap wind-protection system and Airscarf neck warming combine to keep occupants warm and toasty without having to keep the roof up. A total of 12 sensors and 18 actuators including a dewpoint sensor to keep the windscreen from fogging and two solar sensors to measure sunlight levels all work to maintain temperature.
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

My gawd, I want that.  So much.

...and, assuming it works:
In the event the driver uses too much right boot and puts the S-Clab on its lid, yaw-rate sensors will detect a rollover and fire the “pyrotechnically controlled” (aka explosive) rollover protection bars from behind the headrests.

Brilliance.  Utter and complete brilliance.  Loves it.  Wants it.  This makes me actually think that Bossman made a mistake with the Tesla, or better yet, get rid of 'er when this comes to our shores.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 08:59:34 am »
Mercedes has had that type of roll over protection for 25 years - it's proven.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 09:00:26 am »
Yep, and I think other manufacturers have similar safety features.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 09:13:32 am »
and here i thought they had the flagship in their SL series  convertible all this time.....

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 09:17:15 am »
They mean a four seater.  I immediately thought about the SL too until I read the text.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +315/-525
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 11:10:40 pm »

In the event the driver uses too much right boot and puts the S-Clab on its lid, yaw-rate sensors will detect a rollover and fire the “pyrotechnically controlled” (aka explosive) rollover protection bars from behind the headrests.

This makes me actually think that Bossman made a mistake with the Tesla, or better yet, get rid of 'er when this comes to our shores.

The testing rig broke when running against the Tesla Model S.  There isn't a more structurally sound chassis made according to the tests executed on the Tesla...go to a Tesla store and look at the demonstration chassis they have, amazing.