Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Land Rover Discovery Sport  (Read 4790 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2015 Land Rover Discovery Sport
« on: August 14, 2015, 06:29:07 am »

Land Rover's Discovery has lost most of its rugged edges but it's definitely ready for the urban safari.
Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Land Rover Discovery Sport
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 09:52:14 am »
I'm just wondering what's unique about this thing.  What would make a prospective buyer choose it over its competitors?  It's certainly not more offroad capable than the Grand Cherokee, nor more reliable ::), nor cheaper.  So, what good does it have going for it?

I mean, I like it, and all...but I fail to see the "wow" factor.  Hell, even Acura's "jewelled" headlights are more distinctive than this thing.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 09:58:37 am »
I'm just wondering what's unique about this thing.  What would make a prospective buyer choose it over its competitors?  It's certainly not more offroad capable than the Grand Cherokee, nor more reliable ::), nor cheaper.  So, what good does it have going for it?

I mean, I like it, and all...but I fail to see the "wow" factor.  Hell, even Acura's "jewelled" headlights are more distinctive than this thing.

The Badge, and 7-passenger capability is all I can think of.

I don't think the interior is up there with the competition; it looks too dated to me.

Offline Wildsau

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +32/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Honda Civic, '17 MB B250, '14 MB B250. Past: '20 MB E53 wagon, '15 Porsche Macan Turbo, '14 MB E63 Wagon, '07 Honda Odyssey, '06 Audi S4 Avant, '05 Chrysler Pacifica, '03 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R, '98 VW GTI, '98 Jeep Cherokee, '91 Audi 20V quattro coupe
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 11:25:10 am »

I agree. When I was reviewing I kept trying to think of a particular facet of the Discovery Sport's existence that would make it stand out, SOMEthing to set it apart, but nothing really excited me. You'd think LR/RR, in getting into this highly competitive category with a brand-new vehicle, would have put more into developing a vehicle that really can set itself apart on at least ONE thing. There's just nothing distinctive about any of it.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 11:41:07 am »

I completely agree with you on all points. I remember when a Land Rover/Range Rover actually meant something. I saw a Discovery and I already had visions of it crossing some exotic jungle terrain on the Camel Trophy.....these days, all I see are housewives and lap dogs. There is absolutely nothing that would draw me into a RR showroom whatsoever. Grand Cherokee or an MDX are all much more attractive, and foremost reliable, as compared to the RR/LR lineup. This thing reminds me of the old Freelander, or the Land Rover CR-V as I used to call it, does nothing for the nameplate.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline WagonGuy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 05:42:59 pm »
A 9 speed?  In a Range Rover?  This is bound to end well...

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 06:03:28 pm »
wow, as soon as I saw this, I thought it was a Ford Explorer - stick a Ford badge on it and call it a day  ;D

Offline chignectohead

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-195
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda6 2.5t
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 05:33:15 pm »
This isn't the real Discovery now called the LR4, this is the Discovery Sport, an Evoque with a bigger body. Transverse engine, the usual awful ZF nine-speed (Chrysler 200, Cherokee, Renegade plus Acura TLX V6) and Ford's Mark 1 turbo interpretation of the Mazda MZR engine. The newer 2.0t with new cylinder head has been made in Ohio for a year now, but no doubt the Valencia, Spain plant that made the original Ecoboost 2.0t still churns out a few for JLR. Ford-owned Volvo even used this engine in 2010/11 in some S60/V60 before flogging that business off to Geely of China.

Just as the Range Rover Sport was the cheaper different chassis version of the Range Rover, this Disco Sport is just the cheaper different version of the real thing. In fact it's the least expensive Land Rover as well.

But the nomenclature seems to have fooled the entire crowd into thinking it's the Discovery, so JLR can internally crow about that misdirection as a sales tool.

As for thinking it looks like the Explorer, surely it's the other way around. Ford adopted LR styling for the Explorer and stuck a fake Aston Martin grille on the Fusion. They used to own both brands until they flogged them off six years ago.

So this is a small but heavy, not particularly good family SUV take on the Evoque. Cannot see it selling very well as the review shows it's not competitive and has no real redeeming features. A badge job for the status conscious.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 06:43:49 pm »
I dunno, I think it will sell fine.

Offline auto_enthusiast

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 01:38:52 am »
I dunno, I think it will sell fine.

Likewise.  I think a bigger Evoque has some potential in the market.  Evoques seem to be a be very popular around these parts and those who want some more utility with the brand name of RR will probably scoop these up probably on a lease.   I see it more of a compact luxury SUV ( X3, Q5, GLK) competitor rather than the a mid-size SUV like the MDX, Grand Cherokee, etc.  From what I've read, its seems to be one of the more competent of the compact SUV's for off-roading.  It does seem a bit underpowered for its weight though - an optional higher powered option or diesel would be good additions.