Author Topic: Report suggests Ford reinforced F-150 SuperCrew to boost IIHS crash test ratings  (Read 6804 times)

Offline Soakee

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda MX5
"Report suggests Ford reinforced F-150 SuperCrew to boost IIHS crash test ratings"

So what?

Offline .l..

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +23/-654
    • View Profile

Offline AvgCdnMale

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Cadillac ATS 3.6
"Report suggests Ford reinforced F-150 SuperCrew to boost IIHS crash test ratings"

So what?

People will read that the F-150 received a Top Safety Pick and figure it applies to all models. He/She will buy a reg cab assuming it's
a TSP, when it really isn't.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
I can see them doing this, crew cab is by far the most popular way to get a truck these days so they spent all their time on it. Regular and extended cabs are almost strictly fleet purchases only.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
Because the frontal offset tests are all done on the driver’s side of the vehicle, a manufacturer only interested in the appearance of crash safety could install extra structural parts on that side of the car ...

Does this even make sense?

Since when are vehicles symmetrical? Last time I looked, the steering and brake systems, as well as the dash are all found on the driver's side. Not to mention that there is always a driver present. 

And how many of these off-set crashes take place on the passenger side? I would be surprised if any vehicle had the exact same structure on both sides.

"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
Is the cab version of the F-150 that was tested not just the most popular version, but also the heaviest?  If it is the heaviest, then beefing it up is more likely to be a sensible move than some sort of cheating.

You posters who believe in all these car conspiracy theories about insurance, enforcement etc., do you also think 9/11 was an inside job? Just wondering.

Really? Didn't you just start a thread about the auto industry conspiring to keep you from having diagnostic codes on your dash?

I think it's pretty sensible to be sceptical about the insurance industry's motives.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
Is the cab version of the F-150 that was tested not just the most popular version, but also the heaviest?  If it is the heaviest, then beefing it up is more likely to be a sensible move than some sort of cheating.

You posters who believe in all these car conspiracy theories about insurance, enforcement etc., do you also think 9/11 was an inside job? Just wondering.

Really? Didn't you just start a thread about the auto industry conspiring to keep you from having diagnostic codes on your dash?

I think it's pretty sensible to be sceptical about the insurance industry's motives.

Good point.

The insurance industry certainly has a vested interest in events that result in injury, loss, damage etc.  Or there'd be no reason for them to exist.  So, what to make of their common efforts to reduce injury, loss, damage etc?

I can see that for a cooperative or government-owned insurance company like the Insurance Corporation of BC, but not for private insurers.  The only way it makes sense is if they disguise higher premiums relative to the coverage, as the dollar amount of claims reduce. Or do they get a break from whomever they purchase their coverage from as per-incident claims fall?
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile

Good point.

The insurance industry certainly has a vested interest in events that result in injury, loss, damage etc.  Or there'd be no reason for them to exist.  So, what to make of their common efforts to reduce injury, loss, damage etc?

I can see that for a cooperative or government-owned insurance company like the Insurance Corporation of BC, but not for private insurers.  The only way it makes sense is if they disguise higher premiums relative to the coverage, as the dollar amount of claims reduce. Or do they get a break from whomever they purchase their coverage from as per-incident claims fall?

It's not as relevant to us (Canada) possibly.  But the IIHS has big sway for every underwriter doing business in the USA...and these "ratings" are used to establish insurance rates rates.  And a few points here and there on some very popular models (F-150, Corolla, Camry, etc) makes an enormous difference overall on premiums collected.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...