Author Topic: Meet the all-new 2016 BMW 7 Series  (Read 1772 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Meet the all-new 2016 BMW 7 Series
« on: June 11, 2015, 12:04:49 am »

2016 BMW 7 Series - you can live in a car, but you can't drive a house (fast).

Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Re: Meet the all-new 2016 BMW 7 Series
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 07:36:05 am »
Seems like some great updates for a flagship.  Not necessarily more tech, but chassis refinement, interior improvements (where it really matters), and unless this isn't new:

...in the bottom right, is that a height-adjustable suspension set-up?!?  Awesome.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 11:51:45 am »
The fourth-generation E65 7-series with dynamic drive was the best luxury to sport combo drive in a large car I've ever driven.

The Dynamic Drive uses active stabilisers on the front and rear axles to counteract the vehicle's tendency to roll in a corner.

Glad to hear tha BMW has improved the xdrive system. It did not perform well beyond straight-line take offs and got squirrelly when tested in snow or heavy rain.

Not keen on air suspension. If I was going with a active suspension I'd rather have a Magnetorheological damper system like MagneRide. MagneRide has no mechanical valves or small moving parts that can wear out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagneRide
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline chignectohead

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-195
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda6 2.5t
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 07:42:01 am »
The last 750iXL, which this replaces in V8 form, weighed 4980 lbs, according to Car and Driver. So now we're talking 4800 lbs, which still makes it an elephant on wheels, carbon fibre or not. The new short wheelbase 740 RWD available in Europe, is claimed to weigh only 3775 lbs. Big difference. Apparently all the journalists invited to the World Reveal all sit there mute while selective information is dispensed to their huddled masses. Kind of like the new aluminum F150 which was supposed to weigh 700 lbs less, but reality showed a 450 pound saving in its most popular configuration.

The engine is a mild update, as twin scroll turbos nestling in the Vee has been a feature for three years on the S63. So it has now been treated to separate cooling for the heads and block, just like the Subaru FA, VW 2.0t and new GM 3.6 or numerous other engines. Plus a bit of gerrymandering on the intake side. Hardly revolutionary and not worth drooling over, especially as the cylinder capacity at 562cc and square bore/stroke ratio hardly fit with the latest BMW handed down-from-the-mount mantra. That is reserved for the new B58 six cylinder 740i, which is a doubled-up MINI three cylinder, with mandatory 500cc cylinders and small bore/long stroke.

The iDrive has been updated, not the X-Drive which is solidly behind both the Mercedes and Audi AWD versions, both of which have centre differentials. X-Drive is just an electromechanical clutch like the Subaru MPT mounted backwards to account for rear drive bias.

As for the electronics, with which this car is festooned to turn it into a gin palace on wheels, with oh-wow lighting both internally and externally, massaging seats, motorized back seat, heads-up display enlargement, an ugly iPad sticking up out of the dash, infrared night vision, cameras everywhere, good luck with everything working all at once. It needs a bathroom.

Here's what BMW should have improved: the aluminum on the wheels which mere second class potholes dents badly. All C/D long term tests trash BMW wheels, three on the last 750 iXL! And a remote start for foreign markets, where the German Greens don't hold sway.

Another Panzer machine for the elite. And yawn-inducing styling, which is where it really falls down. A Honda Civic chrome strip across the trunk? Spare me. It should look like $150K but it's way too ordinary in appearance. Benz S-Class for the win at a trot.