Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 BMW i3  (Read 10288 times)

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2015 BMW i3
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2015, 07:27:30 pm »
Holy crap, what's this supposed to be, the Ultimate Wart-on-Wheels? Oh well, it'll probably be the perfect feel-good toy for rich (and possibly vision-impaired... ::)) eco-weenies who want to draw maximum attention to themselves while saving the planet from the rest of us. I'd sooner be seen in one of these:

This Citroen was a reasonably successful car in Europe, mostly France, around 1960.  It was a response to a few US designs with backward-sloping rear windows.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2015, 07:30:58 pm »
I still don't get the "XXX lb/ft of torque at zero RPM" statement. The motor is not spinning while at 0 RPM, thus not producing
any torque whatsoever.

"XXX lb/ft of torque at 1 RPM" makes more sense to me.

An electric motor can still push even though it isn't turning.  ICE motors can't.  Torque is push and hp (Watts) is work being done.

Cheers,
John M.

The electric motor must be able to exert "push" at zero rpm or the car would never get moving.  On the other hand, if it doesn't start rotating/moving, current must be shut off immediately or the insulation on the coils will melt and ruin the motor.  (The Escape Hybrid, and probably the Prius, has electric-only reverse.  If the car can't move in reverse, such as if you're up against a curb, you're not going anywhere as the power is cut.)

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2015, 08:18:02 pm »
I see these i3's surprisingly often, about one a week around Vancouver/Whistler.  But then again a summer day drive to Whistler means noticing at least 1 in 20 oncoming cars is a Prius, and each trip includes seeing 3-4 Teslas.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2015, 08:19:19 pm »
i would love to have i3 as daily driver, if it wasn't 48k to start. 

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2015, 09:15:05 pm »
I'm a former 2012 Chevrolet Volt owner and I must say, I would never have been able to live the Nissan Leaf dashboard style, even if now, i'm ok with its outside appearance.

Thanks to FrankyB, He give me a ride in his BMW i3, it is quite a surprisingly car, in & out, accel. & decel. turn & brake and so on. Spacious inside, unconventional but with style, it grows on me.

Now, when I look at the i3 specs, it begins to be even more attractive too: EV+Rex option, 7.4kW onboard charger + CCS for DC quick charge… and no ERDTT. With few minors mods (mountain mode or european set-up for the Rex) it would become even more practical when you have to cross a no man island (no EV charger land).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 09:23:58 pm by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline chignectohead

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-195
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda6 2.5t
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2015, 09:22:38 pm »
So with the range extending engine, BMW has made their version of the Volt. I fail to see why it is a better car other than for fashionistas with outlandish taste and people who think carbon fibre is magic. The Volt is much better thought through from an engineering perspective, the new one even more so - what a pity they made it anonymous-looking.

On the other hand with the i3, the aggressive regeneration caused by lifting off the accelerator has consequences in snow. Read this for a hilarious report on what happens:

http://www.autoworldnews.com/articles/13603/20150310/review-notes-took-bmw-i3-winter-road-trip-electric.htm

Moral? Try to find good snow tires for the silly narrow wheels and hope for the best.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2015, 09:34:23 pm »
"the silly (tall) narrow wheels" are brilliant and a core piece of the design.

Also, once you have driven an ev, it becomes apparent that with the regen, you have better throttle control than you ever had with a good manual and a smoother transmission than you ever had with an automatic.  Tough to be smoother than 1 gear.

You can quickly become used to the fine modulation of regen throttle control of any vehicle (that I've driven) but manufacturers might want to allow some ability to manually set the aggressiveness for personal driving style.  I think the Tesla allows for this but not sure of others.

Cheers,
John M.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 07:36:53 pm by JohnM »

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1231
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2015, 10:04:53 pm »

Also, once you have driven an ev, it becomes apparent that with the regen, you have better throttle the control than you ever had with a good manual and a smoother transmission than you ever had with an automatic.  Tough to be smoother than 1 gear.

You can quickly become used to the fine modulation of regen throttle control of any vehicle (that I've driven) but manufacturers might want to allow some ability to manually set the aggressiveness for personal driving style.  I think the Tesla allows for this but not sure of others.

Cheers,
John M.

There are 2 regen mode on the Leaf and the Soul EV, D (Normal) and B (more agressive).

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2015, 10:15:57 pm »

With its optional range-extender engine, the i3 electric car has a maximum range of about 240 kilometres, half that of a conventional car. But does it really matter?
Read More...

" But as yet, there are no public DC Fast Chargers with the new SAE Combo standard available in Canada."

Watt ? As per plugshare, there is at least 13 in operation right now in Canada http://tinyurl.com/okzv62p 10 in Québec, 3 in Ontario

Circuit Électrique DCFC i pictured my car  :D http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=91359.msg1110138#msg1110138

Edit: 14, I missed (1) in N.S
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 10:20:22 pm by me_2 »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2015, 10:17:13 pm »

With its optional range-extender engine, the i3 electric car has a maximum range of about 240 kilometres, half that of a conventional car. But does it really matter?
Read More...

" But as yet, there are no public DC Fast Chargers with the new SAE Combo standard available in Canada."

Watt ? As per plugshare, there is at least 13 in operation right now in Canada http://tinyurl.com/okzv62p 10 in Québec, 3 in Ontario

Circuit Électrique DCFC i pictured my car  :D http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=91359.msg1110138#msg1110138

Newsflash.  There is more to Ontario than GTA.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2015, 10:17:57 pm »

Also, once you have driven an ev, it becomes apparent that with the regen, you have better throttle the control than you ever had with a good manual and a smoother transmission than you ever had with an automatic.  Tough to be smoother than 1 gear.

Cheers,
John M.

There are 2 regen mode on the Leaf and the Soul EV, D (Normal) and B (more agressive).

Yea...but maybe on some EVs it's too aggressive for slick conditions.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2015, 01:16:07 pm »

Cheers,
John M.

Yea...but maybe on some EVs it's too aggressive for slick conditions.

The Escape Hybrid's regeneration on throttle lift-off is virtually non-existent.  It does have an "L" position you can shift into that has some effect.  Not enough to be of any use on backroads.  And compared to just using the brakes, "L" wastes energy by spinning the engine faster.  Even first generation Escape Hybrids handle this differently from the second.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2015, 01:20:15 pm »

Cheers,
John M.

It should be noted that rally cars use narrow tires for snow/slush.  The idea is to push down to traction rather than float on top of everything with wide tires.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2015, 11:30:21 am »

Cheers,
John M.

It should be noted that rally cars use narrow tires for snow/slush.  The idea is to push down to traction rather than float on top of everything with wide tires.
This.  I have always use slightly narrower tires in winter and have noticed better grip in snowy/slippery conditions.