Author Topic: Road Trip: 2015 Ford Mustang GT Convertible  (Read 9424 times)

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
Re: Road Trip: 2015 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2015, 01:35:27 pm »
A really nice road trip, Jeff!  It's funny though - at $58,000, I wouldn't even think of this thing over the competition as listed (even if it is cheaper).

...the V6 convertible, however, at $20,000 cheaper?  Hellz yeah.  The Mustang is not the epitome of a track weapon, stock, but it is a platform to be enjoyed as-is, modified (if so desired), or to be used as a cheap sports car alternative.  For that, I cannot fault it at all for anything.  The interior is much improved, the mechanical upgrades are excellent, and the fuel economy is reasonable in all trims.

I dig it.  A lot.

...but it'd be V6 Convertible for me.

$58k gets you into many great cars, heck $5k more gets you the keys in Vette territory.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2015, 01:50:34 pm »
Is there a cover over the roof once it is down ?

There are caps to cover the mechanicals but I don't use them.

First pic with and second without.

BTW, the top on the 2015s sit 6 INCHES lower than the previous gen which looks retarded.  Plus the top is no long hydraulic.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2015, 01:53:08 pm »
A really nice road trip, Jeff!  It's funny though - at $58,000, I wouldn't even think of this thing over the competition as listed (even if it is cheaper).

...the V6 convertible, however, at $20,000 cheaper?  Hellz yeah.  The Mustang is not the epitome of a track weapon, stock, but it is a platform to be enjoyed as-is, modified (if so desired), or to be used as a cheap sports car alternative.  For that, I cannot fault it at all for anything.  The interior is much improved, the mechanical upgrades are excellent, and the fuel economy is reasonable in all trims.

I dig it.  A lot.

...but it'd be V6 Convertible for me.

$58k gets you into many great cars, heck $5k more gets you the keys in Vette territory.

Of course, once you add Automatic and Nav like the Mustang has the difference goes over $9K.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2015, 02:13:56 pm »
Whether Coupe or Convertible, if i could afford it, I would jump to the V8 in a Mustang. IMO, the V6 lacks punch and sounds a bit lacklustre. Might as well get an Ecoboost.

The V6, ECO and GT all sound like crap stock.  The Eco sounds like a Fusion.  The V6 is embarrassing and the GT is pretty bad considering the motor.  What else can one expect from baffled mufflers.

the V6 lacks punch

Well lets hear all about the model you drove ???

My V6 vert with the 3:55 lsd and Goodyear 18/235 F1 tires hardly lacks "punch".  Hate to say it, but it just destroys my previous 944S2 and handles just as well.  ::)  My 3rd to 4th shift @ 6500 rpm is at 140 kph which is 10 km above the Ontario Street Racing Law.  :P   

I read a lot of blithering about the GT, but observe very little BUYING on this forum.  One thing to keep in mind with the GT is the M82 tranny cannot handle the power of that V8.  The 2015s are still grinding and otherwise blowing up.

GM uses an Aisin sourced 6 speed manual for the Camaro and then installs the much heavier duty Tremec 6060 for the V8.  Still not boob proof, but they have less failures. 

Northernridge

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2015, 02:37:39 pm »
Is there a cover over the roof once it is down ?

There are caps to cover the mechanicals but I don't use them.

First pic with and second without.

BTW, the top on the 2015s sit 6 INCHES lower than the previous gen which looks retarded.  Plus the top is no long hydraulic.

That's very tidy indeed. Do those side caps snap in manually?

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2015, 03:12:11 pm »
Whether Coupe or Convertible, if i could afford it, I would jump to the V8 in a Mustang. IMO, the V6 lacks punch and sounds a bit lacklustre. Might as well get an Ecoboost.

The V6, ECO and GT all sound like crap stock.  The Eco sounds like a Fusion.  The V6 is embarrassing and the GT is pretty bad considering the motor.  What else can one expect from baffled mufflers.

the V6 lacks punch

My V6 vert with the 3:55 lsd and Goodyear 18/235 F1 tires hardly lacks "punch".  Hate to say it, but it just destroys my previous 944S2 and handles just as well.  ::)  My 3rd to 4th shift @ 6500 rpm is at 140 kph which is 10 km above the Ontario Street Racing Law.  :P   

I read a lot of blithering about the GT, but observe very little BUYING on this forum.  One thing to keep in mind with the GT is the M82 tranny cannot handle the power of that V8.  The 2015s are still grinding and otherwise blowing up.

GM uses an Aisin sourced 6 speed manual for the Camaro and then installs the much heavier duty Tremec 6060 for the V8.  Still not boob proof, but they have less failures.

who wants to be "boob proof"?  i don't want it to be boob proof.. ;D

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2015, 04:27:17 pm »

the V6 lacks punch

We just returned a fairly base V6 manual, stock exhaust - it just didn't feel like 300 hp - we attributed it to very long gearing. and yeah, I'm ruined because I drove the previous-gen Boss - that thing sounded right. and drove right.

as you've specced it, with the 3:55 rear ratio would likely make a world of difference, but out of the box, the Genesis V6 R-Spec smoked it (similarly priced, but more power). 
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2015, 04:38:31 pm »
Hm.  There's not some sorta manual sporty car comparison coming up is there???

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2015, 11:45:45 pm »
That's very tidy indeed. Do those side caps snap in manually?

Ya, just plunk ... in they go.  But unfortunately they are just a tad too long for the spare tire cavity so it's either in the trunk loose (which is massive) or the back seat floor.

However, if the unit is marked outside for periods of time then those caps would stop leaves and other crap from messing up the very complex lifting apparatus.