Author Topic: Comparison Test: Affordable Everyday Fun Cars  (Read 30599 times)

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Comparison Test: Affordable Everyday Fun Cars
« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2014, 09:06:42 am »
  "fun is in the eye of the beholder" but I'm not so sure.  I admit to not having driven the EV version... My Miata is tough to live with as an "everyday" car thanks to the two seats and tiny trunk.  Smart is worse.

At $100 per month for the lease, and $1 per day to run it, there is nothing available for this price range that comes close to the spirited driving of the Smart ED.

My Mercedes GLK is nowhere near as fast in the City, and I won't even consider driving the bigger Merc for my commute, it's just far more fun to drive the smaller and quicker (in the City) electric car.

I bought the Smart ED after a single test drive.  I didn't need any more convincing.

Highly suggest taking one out, I challenge you to speak poorly of the car given the cost vs fun ratio once you've test driven one.
Regarding purchasing cost, don't forget that not all provinces have $8000 subsidies.  Here in AB, there is $0 on the table.  Yes, operating and maintaining costs are going to be significantly lower.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
Re: Comparison Test: Affordable Everyday Fun Cars
« Reply #101 on: August 24, 2014, 09:43:37 am »
  "fun is in the eye of the beholder" but I'm not so sure.  I admit to not having driven the EV version... My Miata is tough to live with as an "everyday" car thanks to the two seats and tiny trunk.  Smart is worse.

At $100 per month for the lease, and $1 per day to run it, there is nothing available for this price range that comes close to the spirited driving of the Smart ED.

My Mercedes GLK is nowhere near as fast in the City, and I won't even consider driving the bigger Merc for my commute, it's just far more fun to drive the smaller and quicker (in the City) electric car.

I bought the Smart ED after a single test drive.  I didn't need any more convincing.

Highly suggest taking one out, I challenge you to speak poorly of the car given the cost vs fun ratio once you've test driven one.

This looks to me to be a good deal https://www2.smart.com/ca/dealers/smartcenter-toronto/en/index/sales/2014-smart-electric-offer.html
That Smart ED looks good in person too  ;D

Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2015, 02:52:12 pm »
christ..those dumass plaid cloth seats..get some standard leather...at this price it should be..

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2015, 02:58:33 pm »
christ..those dumass plaid cloth seats..get some standard leather...at this price it should be..

sacrilege!

I would pay extra to have the plaid seats retrofitted to high-trim models (if i was ever considering anything above the base model).
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2015, 03:04:31 pm »

I do not want leather seats ever again. The plaid looks cool, and at this point is iconic.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline jman72

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-5
  • petrolhead
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Golf GTI
« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2015, 03:07:11 pm »
^ What Jonathan and Sir O say. Not everybody likes leather.

Besides, the ladies love the plaid  ;)

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2015, 09:32:55 am »
Damn Subaru interior seems to be it's Achilles heel here. Guess same could be said for the GTI's nav.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".