Author Topic: Day-By-Day Review: 2015 Ford Focus Sedan; Day 1  (Read 11542 times)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Day-By-Day Review: 2015 Ford Focus Sedan; Day 1
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2015, 01:09:15 pm »
Sorry no pics I didn't think of it till later.  Of course the trunk is larger than the cooler but the cooler is tall and wide.   Getting it in was a challenge and it barely fit once in there.   The opening is small and the trunk is not very deep.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Re: Day-By-Day Review: 2015 Ford Focus Sedan; Day 1
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2015, 02:40:23 pm »
So if we're on the subject of storage flexibility, why wouldn't one just get the hatchback? Problem solved.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2015, 03:11:25 pm »
So if we're on the subject of storage flexibility, why wouldn't one just get the hatchback? Problem solved.
That's what I was referring to above with respect to "flexibility".  If you know you're going to be hauling boxes, then hatch.  If you want things out of sight, but they will be flat/short, then sedan is fine.

Lady Noto and I have fit two full-size (25" upright) suitcases in the trunk - we 100% could not do that in the Mustang.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2015, 03:15:46 pm »
Hatchbacks and crossovers have a privacy cover to keep items out of sight, so sometimes I don't understand the "out of sight" argument for sedans (my coworker cites the same thing for her preference of a sedan). Just curious......

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2015, 03:19:18 pm »
Hatchbacks and crossovers have a privacy cover to keep items out of sight, so sometimes I don't understand the "out of sight" argument for sedans (my coworker cites the same thing for her preference of a sedan). Just curious......
For me, it feels more separated.  It's not something that I can quantify beyond a personal preference.

What I do prefer in a sedan over a hatch/wagon is the typically wider trunk footprint, and then (subjective) vehicle styling.  e.g. I can fit a set of golf clubs across the floor of a Focus Sedan trunk, but not in the Hatch without dropping the seats, making the sedan better if you're hauling >2 passengers and their gear (unless gear is squishy)

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2015, 07:42:20 pm »
For me, it feels more separated.  It's not something that I can quantify beyond a personal preference.

What I do prefer in a sedan over a hatch/wagon is the typically wider trunk footprint, and then (subjective) vehicle styling.  e.g. I can fit a set of golf clubs across the floor of a Focus Sedan trunk, but not in the Hatch without dropping the seats, making the sedan better if you're hauling >2 passengers and their gear (unless gear is squishy)

What would be ideal is a Focus wagon.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2015, 09:10:10 pm »

You should already know the official North American marketing response to anything "wagon".

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2015, 09:16:37 pm »
In practice, I've found that the fuel economy between my 2013 Focus and my dad's 2011 Corolla to be quite different, particularly in the highway, and especially in the winter.

The lifetime average of the Focus is around 8.0 l/100 km, mostly city, and 7.3 l/100 km for the Corolla. Of course the Corolla has nearly 80000 km on it now, and the focus 20 000. Both are 5 speed manuals.

Hatch vs Sedan though.
I don't keep a lifetime average, but Lady Noto's old roommate's 2012 Focus SE sedan is averaging 6.1L/100km (pure highway), which is about what I get in the Corolla to Ithaca.  In the City, the Corolla hovers in the low 8s in the summer and mid-9s in the winter.  Suffice it to say that these are all reasonably efficient and fuel economy is fine.

Beyond that, the merits of the car - large turning radius?  No thank you.  Fixed with smaller wheels?  Easy, and cheaper for tire time. 

Small trunk opening?  How much do you haul?  Is the hatch better for you?

All reasonable questions.  The focus is a great car and is flexible with how it can be ordered.

Fair points. I still quite like the focus and a comparable rolla would have cost like 3k more at least... I paid under 20k (AFTER taxes and fees etc) NEW.
When my Focus is in the GTA it achieves phenomenal fuel economy. The corolla is just more consistent.

I've also never had the turning radius issue.

Overall it was a good purchase and I don't really regret it... well, if I knew what I know now (ie that my mom was going to get an Odyssey) I may have bought a wrangler (HA! the fuel economy would give me a heart attack) or a miata (it would have cost like 4k more but the 8k off + 0% financing that came a month after I bought the focus was a pretty decent deal).

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2015, 09:34:57 pm »

You should already know the official North American marketing response to anything "wagon".
Yes.  Ford's response is the Escape.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2015, 09:47:25 pm »
C-max actually

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2015, 12:34:18 am »
C-max actually
Possibly.  But I'd agree more if they offered a conventional power train as they do in Europe.