Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid  (Read 4457 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
« on: May 15, 2015, 06:28:55 am »

Is Kia's hybrid the optimal choice?
Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 09:47:08 am »
either way, that six-speed is the weak link in the Optima Hybrid’s mechanical make-up.
:o surprised to read that, but I agree with you.  Toyota's PSD, IMO, is still the best tranny out there.

Just like everyone else, they put the battery pack behind the rear seat, where it eats about a third of the trunk’s volume and eliminates a folding seatback.

Unless I'm mistaken, that looks like a ski-pass thru, no?  I agree, not folding seatback, but not completely fixed like the Accord Hybrid's, right?  (pictured below)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 11:16:21 am »
Where else would the battery go without redesigning the entire vehicle frame?
It's not the battery placement - it's that the Accord (non-hybrid, and hybrid alike) isn't rigid enough (torsen) to allow for a folding rear-seatback.  The standard Optima does get the 60/40 split.  That this comes only with a pass-thru (if the picture is accurate) is suggestive that it's a cost-cutting measure.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 11:39:43 am »
In the Kia Canada flyer we received, there's a 6k$ incentive (as usual) on the Optima Hybrid. The semi-fine print says 2014 models though  :think:
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 02:22:21 pm »

Yup, a pass-through, but even then, half of it's blocked. Par for the course in a hybrid sedan.
I used to work here.

Offline chignectohead

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-195
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda6 2.5t
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 08:41:38 pm »
It's not the battery placement - it's that the Accord (non-hybrid, and hybrid alike) isn't rigid enough (torsen) to allow for a folding rear-seatback.  The standard Optima does get the 60/40 split.  That this comes only with a pass-thru (if the picture is accurate) is suggestive that it's a cost-cutting measure.

Sorry, the 2015 Accord does have a folding rear seat back, so torsion (not torsen, that's a type of differential) stresses  aren't too high. Problem is, the seat does not split fold - perhaps that was what you were remembering.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 03:15:36 pm »

I find a lot of Japanese cars do not have a folding rear seatback, especially the more performance oriented sedans. I think even the regular Accord does not fold.

My TL doesn't fold either, just a ski pass through. M37 and Lexus GS are same (at least the last gen, not sure about current gen).

German stuff always folds. Even my CLK with two giant doors and no B-pillar managed a flat folding rear seat. I wonder how the AMG convertible version felt in terms of rigidity.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 03:28:58 pm »
I would have thought that any modern mid sized 4 dr sedan that was not rigid enough for a folding seat back, assuming that there would still be a bar across the opening where the trunk lid was attached,would be too weak to pass the sideways crash tests.  So cost cutting it is then.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.