Author Topic: Preview: 2016 Scion iM  (Read 10269 times)

Offline Waterlooresident

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-165
    • View Profile
Re: Preview: 2016 Scion iM
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2015, 10:47:33 pm »
OH THAT IS SO COOL !!!!    That's the Australian Corolla.    I've been looking at those for the longest time, wondering when on Earth is Toyota going to start making hatchbacks based on the Corolla for the Canadian market.   Well, it looks like my waiting is finally over, now I can go out and get one next year.   Good thing too since my 2006 Corolla is beginning to feel  'LOOSE' in many ways.  Like when the engine gets old you can sense that its near the end of it's life because everything just sort of 'shakes' around more when you rev it to the redline.  I guess that's what happens when you hit 300,000 kms .

Oh yeah, another thing:   Did you know that 2004 - 2008 Toyota Corollas ALL have a defective odometer that stops at 299,999 kms ???
Yup, mined did too, about 3 months ago.  Stuck at 299,999  and the dealer wants $950 to put in a new Odometer, yet my car has a market value of about $800.   So I have no idea when to change the oil, I'm just using the trip odometer to keep track of my mileages now.  Sucks eh?

Thanks for this info about this car,  this good news has really made my day !   I look forward to getting one next year (2016).

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2015, 11:08:01 pm »
OH THAT IS SO COOL !!!!    That's the Australian Corolla.    I've been looking at those for the longest time, wondering when on Earth is Toyota going to start making hatchbacks based on the Corolla for the Canadian market.   Well, it looks like my waiting is finally over, now I can go out and get one next year.   Good thing too since my 2006 Corolla is beginning to feel  'LOOSE' in many ways.  Like when the engine gets old you can sense that its near the end of it's life because everything just sort of 'shakes' around more when you rev it to the redline.  I guess that's what happens when you hit 300,000 kms .

Oh yeah, another thing:   Did you know that 2004 - 2008 Toyota Corollas ALL have a defective odometer that stops at 299,999 kms ???
Yup, mined did too, about 3 months ago.  Stuck at 299,999  and the dealer wants $950 to put in a new Odometer, yet my car has a market value of about $800.   So I have no idea when to change the oil, I'm just using the trip odometer to keep track of my mileages now.  Sucks eh?

Thanks for this info about this car,  this good news has really made my day !   I look forward to getting one next year (2016).

Ummm....Toyota has made a Corolla based hatchback for the Canadian market since 2003. Its called the Toyota Matrix.  ::) ::)

Offline Waterlooresident

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-165
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2015, 11:44:13 pm »
The Matix might have 'Looked' like a Corolla from the outside, but it had a truly HORRIBLE dash,   a mad / crazy mix of chrome that would glint off any rays the sun happened to shine onto it.  I often told myself that if they just put the Corolla interior into the Matrix then they would easily double their sales.  But then I looked at the MPG that the Corolla got compared to the horrible MPG the Matrix got and I realized why no one wanted the fuel-pig Matrix, I didn't want it either. 

So hopefully this new car will have both the nice interior of the Corolla  ( The Golf has a better interior though), and similar high mpg of the Corolla sedan also.

I just watched a review of the Auris, and they talked about how Toyota raised the beltline of the car AND lowered the roof.  I forgot about that.  Now I wonder if maybe the GOLF might actually be a FAR BETTER alternative even though the Golf breaks down soon after you drive it off the dealer's lot.  ????
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 11:46:21 pm by Waterlooresident »

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2015, 08:15:58 am »
Waterlooresident,
My Pontiac Vibe is also a Corolla variant though I insist the Vibe and the Matrix are wagons rather than hatches. In any event, it gets excellent mileage
when equipped with the standard Corolla drivetrain . The AWD drive models and the higher performance engine variants of the Matrix and Vibe
obviously burned more fuel than the base models.

The Scion iM will be about 4 inches shorter than the Matrix/Vibe so it is truly a hatch.