Author Topic: Tire Review: Bridgestone Ecopia line  (Read 3789 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Tire Review: Bridgestone Ecopia line
« on: May 11, 2015, 06:29:15 am »

A trio of new touring tires for Bridgestone
Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Re: Tire Review: Bridgestone Ecopia line
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 09:30:03 am »
Very much like other bits of technology, though initial products may be compromises and imperfect, I'm a big fan of progress.

I'm talking, of course, of focus on making RFTs better:
1) A 60,000 MILE (~100,000km) warranty on RFTs?!  Shortcoming #1 = offset.
2) Quieter?  Shortcoming #2 = offset.
3) Able to still handle 'reasonably' once punctured?  Shortcoming #3 = offset.

Of course, none are perfect, but this does make me happier.  We obviously need to see prices come down before folks are willing to spend on these (people don't like to pay more for "what if?" moments - and Bridgestone is going to have to overcome this). 

Lesley, I didn't read anything about TPMS - a requirement when you use RFTs.  While it's great that the Driveguard is able to be mounted on any car, this qualification should possibly be explored in the article for accuracy's sake (not that it matters).  Also, there's the added cost of adding sensors to the winter wheels, and the charge ($18 or so) for mechanics to reset the TPMS calibration at every changeover if you have different sensors on each set of rims.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 02:21:29 pm »

Lesley, I didn't read anything about TPMS - a requirement when you use RFTs.  While it's great that the Driveguard is able to be mounted on any car, this qualification should possibly be explored in the article for accuracy's sake (not that it matters).  Also, there's the added cost of adding sensors to the winter wheels, and the charge ($18 or so) for mechanics to reset the TPMS calibration at every changeover if you have different sensors on each set of rims.

Huh, I've never heard of this either... We shall poke around and update accordingly! You're right that that would be an important requirement to note for the consoideration of a run-flat tire.

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 02:51:27 pm »

Huh, I've never heard of this either... We shall poke around and update accordingly! You're right that that would be an important requirement to note for the consoideration of a run-flat tire.
It's a requirement because you would otherwise not know you're driving around on a flat.  While it's great that you can drive up to 80km on a flat RFT, if you don't know when your tire was punctured, you may well go beyond the 80km and still be stranded.

Offline Lesley

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-47
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 97 Dodge Dakota "The Mighty Dak", 92 Mazda MX3 KLZE, 92 Mazda 323 winter beater
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 03:17:26 pm »
Yes, sorry I didn't mention. You should have TPMS to get the full benefit of these tires.
If I can't drive 'em... I'll draw 'em!

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 04:04:07 pm »
I hope more cars are designed around tall, narrow tires as they make a huge amount of sense.  I'd particularly like to see how they do in snow - probably fabulously well.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 04:05:40 pm »
Also, how would the Ecopias do compared to a mainstream all-season??  Maybe like the Michelin Destiny.  Has anyone seen a comparison test?

Cheers,
John M.