Author Topic: Volvo to build first U.S. factory in Charleston, SC  (Read 3371 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Volvo to build first U.S. factory in Charleston, SC
« on: May 11, 2015, 01:56:11 pm »
Plant to create an estimated 2,000 jobs
Read More...

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Re: Volvo to build first U.S. factory in Charleston, SC
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 02:03:32 pm »
It's always a contest to see which Southeastern state can throw taxpayer money at big businesses in terms of cash/tax incentives.

Glad NC doesn't play that game quite as extensively.
ř cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 02:03:56 pm »
Seeing as I have lived in NB all my life, how is it that I didn't hear that Volvo built cars in Halifax?  Mind you in 1998 I was still in high school and had other priorities.  Too bad they stopped building in Canada and even worse that they didn't come back to Atlantic Canada.  That $4+ billion dollar infusion would have really gone a long way.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 09:23:45 pm »
Year after year Volvo sales are declining, why does building a plant in the US make Volvo think their sales will increase?  Is it that Volvo thinks that the Chinese owned company will appeal to the US buyer, because it was made in the USA?  Maybe a few hundred sales, but not ten of thousands....  Yet another blow to the Canadian company.  Wonder if the Oshawa plant would have been sufficient to meet their needs, certainly big enough...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 07:55:40 am »
Year after year Volvo sales are declining, why does building a plant in the US make Volvo think their sales will increase?  Is it that Volvo thinks that the Chinese owned company will appeal to the US buyer, because it was made in the USA?  Maybe a few hundred sales, but not ten of thousands....  Yet another blow to the Canadian company.  Wonder if the Oshawa plant would have been sufficient to meet their needs, certainly big enough...
I think they're rolling out a bunch of new vehicles that will more appeal to the USA.  It started with the S60, then the XC60, the new XC90 is coming and in the near future a new S80.  They have spent a lot of money in developing a engine lineup that offers the fuel economy people need but offer the power that people in this price range want/expect.  Opening a plant in US is probably to stabilize their prices for their product in US.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 08:27:59 am »
Could have been worse...  ::) ::)

Volvo says it chose to build in South Carolina to take advantage of “easy access to international ports and infrastructure, a well-trained labor force, attractive investment environment and experience in the high tech manufacturing sector.”
Yeah, F*** you, Mexico.

I kid.  A little.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 08:52:49 am »

This could enable them to be more price competitive.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 09:44:06 am »
I owned a Volvo 240 assembled in Halifax and a Swedish assembled 240. They were comparable.

"Volvo says it chose to build in South Carolina to take advantage of “easy access to international ports and infrastructure, a well-trained labor force, attractive investment environment and experience in the high tech manufacturing sector.”

I recall when the auto industry use to say things like this about Canada.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 11:11:20 am »
I had a Canadian assembled Volvo at one time

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 12:24:15 pm »
I think they're rolling out a bunch of new vehicles that will more appeal to the USA.  It started with the S60, then the XC60, the new XC90 is coming and in the near future a new S80.  They have spent a lot of money in developing a engine lineup that offers the fuel economy people need but offer the power that people in this price range want/expect.  Opening a plant in US is probably to stabilize their prices for their product in US.

New vehicles?  the 2nd generation S60, and XC60 dates back to 2010.  Both of these need some powertrain upgrades, the T6 was updated in 2010...   The only thing new for us is the V60, and the XC90 (low volume model).  Yes they have invested a lot in new upcoming 4 cylinder engines, which will likely by used in the S60, V60, XC60.  But a large market (especially in Europe), is the compacts.  They are missing a lot of potential buyers but not offering the S40, V40, and an XC40.  Spend more efforts on the XC40, than an S80.  The subcompact CUV market is going strong.  An XC40 with a turbo 4 cylinder would be awesome!

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 08:22:04 am »
Why call this a Volvo factory when Volvo is just a division of Geely . This factory is Trojan horse designed to get Americans used to the idea of Chinese cars being sold in the USA.

Remember, there have been no Chinese built cars sold in the States to date as they never got the Chinese Honda Fit that was shipped to Canada.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 08:41:43 am »
Why call this a Volvo factory when Volvo is just a division of Geely . This factory is Trojan horse designed to get Americans used to the idea of Chinese cars being sold in the USA.

Remember, there have been no Chinese built cars sold in the States to date as they never got the Chinese Honda Fit that was shipped to Canada.

The average consumer probably has no idea that Volvo is Chinese owned.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 09:04:51 am »

FWIW our Chinese built MkII Fit seems to be as well built as our Japan built MkI was.   
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Volvo to build first U.S. factory in Charleston, SC
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 09:20:13 am »
Who would have thought Chinese cars would be built in USA!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...