Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Ford Escape SE  (Read 9643 times)

Offline tonyw3026

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +8/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Escape
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Ford Escape SE
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2015, 01:10:33 pm »
We love the responsiveness of the Escape's 1.6L Ecoboost, but fuel economy is disappointing

I have a 2.0L Ecoboost version and the review is correct although I get 8.0L/100Km overall with very careful driving. As soon as you start to use the available power with anything but very gentle acceleration the fuel consumption rockets up.

Everything mechanical about the car is excellent - engine, handling, steering, brakes etc.
Everything about the interior design and controls is terrible. Especially that awful GPS, it is virtually unusable and I have re-installed my Garmin on the windshield.

Tony

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2015, 01:12:37 pm »
My MIL has one of these things and so I've driven it quite often. Originally I too loved everything about it. Though personally I liked the Rogue much more. Almost a year later I've come to notice some things that annoy me.

First and foremost is the NVH - or to be more specific - the wind noise around the windshield. At highway speeds its down right loud. At first I thought it was just me so I didn't say anything. Then my wife commented on it as well. That's when I started looking into it a bit more seriously. Next time you're beside an Escape take a look at the top of the windshield. There you will see a groove that between the windshield and the roof. At first I thought maybe a piece of weatherstripping had come off but I checked out our neighbours and its the same. I'm not sure why they designed it his way but my guess is when the air goes to run over the roof instead of a nice flow over the top there's some turbulence there created by that groove that generates the noise.

My second issue is with the closing of the doors. When brand new they closed like you would expect a door on a new vehicle to close - with a nice solid thud. Now when you close them they almost feel loose - like the plastic on the interior doors is coming apart. This actually happened on the inside of the rear tailgate where the molding ripped right out of the tailgate. At first I thought it was just the driver's door as she tends to slam doors. But they all seem to be doing it.

Anyway just tired of the love-fest with this thing. While I like the styling and the power from the turbo mill seems pretty good for such a small motor - I still think there's room for improvement.
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2015, 05:01:19 pm »
I had one of these as a rental earlier this summer when I went out west with the family, put just under 1700kms on it from Calgary to Jasper, Radium, Banff, Panorama & back to Calgary, my real world fuel consumption in the mountains was 11.3 with about 750lbs of people and cargo aboard.  The 1.6 with that load was anemic at best, I drove my foot thru the floor to get the damn thing to go!  The upper dash is just plain awful, the absolute worst glare off it reflecting onto the windshield, whoever designed it should be shot & the bean counters who picked the cheapest possible plastic should be fired.  The ride and handling weren't too bad overall, space wise there was enough room for all 5 of us & our luggage for 9 days of travel.  It was quiet enough overall, but I found the visibility to be poor and I'm just not a fan of the high waistline on MOST newer vehicles overall.  End of the day, I would never buy one, nor would I recommend one.  I'd go Sante Fe, or CRV before for sure.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline sbtatter

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Acura, Ford,
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2015, 05:43:46 pm »
Thankfully we don't have any of the door panel issues or door closing issues mentioned above, nor any wind noise at hwy speeds, in fact, I remember the CRV having a lot more wind noise on the test drive around the roof rack and wing mirrors.
I'd agree that the plastic around the top of the dash could be better, don't mind the synch and nav system at all. The fuel mileage is just average in my opinion. But I haven't driven a small SUV that's been faster or better handling than the 2.0T escape, it's a blast to drive.
Reactions from friends was interesting, turned up their noses when we first got it, then after being in it, changed their minds.
If it was down to me to choose a small SUV, this would be right up there with the RAV4.
Rogue would be worth a test drive IMO as well. Not a jeep fan based on reliability issues friends have had, the CRV I'm sure is a great reliable SUV but I just can't get past the styling, it reminds me of an aztek from some angles.
Santa Fe looked great, but now the tuscon is out the santa fe looks old to me!!!
Do not like the small VW, and wouldn't get a Suburu, one reason being no dealer in my town, and I have to buy local. Don't like the sportage.
We drove a venza, but the front dash and rear hatch had a multitude of creaks and rattles and it was a lot more money than the Escape.
RDX was really nice, but being bent over by my Acura dealer wasn't nice!!
So next year her lease is up, and we start the process over again, maybe try an Edge, scale up to a Highlander, maybe an upgraded Santa Fe will be available.
The Escape has set the bar high for reliable, well priced and fun vehicle for her to drive to work and the occasional road trip

Not putting down anyone else opinions, just sharing ours and putting in a plug for the underdog!! The Escape must be doing something correct to rule the sales segment for a while now......

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2015, 07:05:36 pm »
So looks like these modern new generation Ford turbo engines named Ecoboost have disappointing fuel efficiency, especially if you push to use the available power...I'm curious about any long term high scale statistics regarding their reliability.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2015 Ford Escape SE
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2015, 07:27:38 pm »
^^ I don't think the problem is the engine itself, Ford has been making poor choices with regards to the vehicles they install them. E.g. Explorer with the 2.3 instead of 2.7, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2015, 07:32:22 pm »

Thankfully we don't have any of the door panel issues or door closing issues mentioned above, nor any wind noise at hwy speeds, in fact, I remember the CRV having a lot more wind noise on the test drive around the roof rack and wing mirrors.
I'd agree that the plastic around the top of the dash could be better, don't mind the synch and nav system at all. The fuel mileage is just average in my opinion. But I haven't driven a small SUV that's been faster or better handling than the 2.0T escape, it's a blast to drive.
Reactions from friends was interesting, turned up their noses when we first got it, then after being in it, changed their minds.
If it was down to me to choose a small SUV, this would be right up there with the RAV4.
Rogue would be worth a test drive IMO as well. Not a jeep fan based on reliability issues friends have had, the CRV I'm sure is a great reliable SUV but I just can't get past the styling, it reminds me of an aztek from some angles.
Santa Fe looked great, but now the tuscon is out the santa fe looks old to me!!!
Do not like the small VW, and wouldn't get a Suburu, one reason being no dealer in my town, and I have to buy local. Don't like the sportage.
We drove a venza, but the front dash and rear hatch had a multitude of creaks and rattles and it was a lot more money than the Escape.
RDX was really nice, but being bent over by my Acura dealer wasn't nice!!
So next year her lease is up, and we start the process over again, maybe try an Edge, scale up to a Highlander, maybe an upgraded Santa Fe will be available.
The Escape has set the bar high for reliable, well priced and fun vehicle for her to drive to work and the occasional road trip

Not putting down anyone else opinions, just sharing ours and putting in a plug for the underdog!! The Escape must be doing something correct to rule the sales segment for a while now......

She will likely love the Edge! I drove one with the V6 and it was a nice ride.

Northernridge

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2015, 07:35:28 pm »
I'm just happy to see a few Manitobans active on the forum...even though you're driving CUVs.   ;)

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2015, 07:37:52 pm »
Lol! We are taking over the forum :p

Offline NormT

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-335
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '18 Regal TourX, '04 Saab 9-5 Arc JZW stg 4, '02 C32 AMG, '07 Saturn Sky,
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2015, 08:49:37 pm »
My fiancés two aunts bought the Escape recently. Both are former Toyota and Honda owners. One recommended to the other and seem pleased.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2015, 09:37:04 pm »
No matter how bad Ford screws up a vehicle, it will always be near the top in the segment.  The dealers are everywhere.  Could be the smallest town with just Ford and Chrysler.  Of course the Escape is going to kill the Journey.  It is very interesting how sales are different in US vs Canada.  Where the Equinox and Terrain are so old, combined they are still the segment leader in the US.  In Canada the CX-5 is in the top 10, even outselling the Forester, and close to the Santa Fe.  But in the US, the bigger SUV's sell a lot more.  So the CX-5 is at #19 in the chart.  They better hurry with that CX-9!   

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2015, 11:31:32 am »
Good looking CUV that I agree will continue to sell well thanks to Ford's large dealer network and frequent and large $$ incentives.  That said, buyers get a pretty solid CUV - not suckers in any way.  They sure depreciate hard compared to other CUVs - thanks I think to the sheer volume of them for sale - so getting a good deal upfront is important.

Offline DrVex007

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Kia Optima, Mazda 5GT
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2015, 02:46:33 am »
The Escape is one of the worst small SUVs available. The styling is boring, but it is a good people mover.
The Kia Sportage SX is a far better looking SUV with more power and a better warranty.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2015, 09:48:44 am »

The Escape is one of the worst small SUVs available. The styling is boring, but it is a good people mover.
The Kia Sportage SX is a far better looking SUV with more power and a better warranty.

LOL!!! Bash a Ford to recommend a Kia?

Offline NormT

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-335
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '18 Regal TourX, '04 Saab 9-5 Arc JZW stg 4, '02 C32 AMG, '07 Saturn Sky,
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2015, 06:42:34 pm »

LOL!!! Bash a Ford to recommend a Kia?

Lol! Was thinking similar. The Kia drives like an ox cart and  I wanted to turn around on the main road right outside the dealership.  The tattooed salesman used to sell sport bikes so we drove and chatted for a half hour.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2015, 05:36:14 pm »
i've had a lot of customers who come over from ford and want to try out the cherokee... i usually have people say they like our seats, how quiet ours is and the infotainment, but like the size of the escape and it felt peppier (people tend to compare our 4 banger)...

seems like some good cars in this segment. hard to pick winners unless you have very specific needs and wants... then it is a bit easier due to the strengths chosen by the manufacturer...

i think these are pretty solid cars... in my hipster mind, the biggest fault is that i see them everywhere... i'd lose it in a parking lot.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Waterlooresident

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-165
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2015, 09:09:33 pm »
Stick some Nitrous on it, then you will really get an EcoBOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSTTT !!!!

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2015, 11:16:34 pm »
Stick some Nitrous on it, then you will really get an EcoBOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSTTT !!!!
hmm, likely an EcoBlown.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2015, 10:27:03 am »

I was thinking more like a bigger turbo, external BOV and a remap......unlike the Fast and Furious franchise, I would be very worried about sticking nitrous into a modern car.

Lighten up Francis.....