Author Topic: Subaru Legacy Wins AJAC 2015 Car of the Year, Ford F-150 Pickup of the Year  (Read 7370 times)

Offline ronniefung

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-13
  • Resident Tire Slayer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Toyota Supra TT, RX-7 'Vert V8, and various Pressers
Re: Subaru Legacy Wins AJAC 2015 Car of the Year, Ford F-150 Pickup of the Year
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2015, 05:32:25 pm »
As someone that enjoys beating the :censor: out of cars around bends at high speed on the track, and when it's warranted on an open on/off ramp, I can see why the Polestar beat the Hellcat.

I can tell you this, caning a V60 Polestar Wagon leaves me with a grin from ear-to-ear, like, I literally cannot stop smiling after a decent set of twisties or hitting a ramp on a deserted night and then merging onto the empty highway. It's a fantastic car. I cannot wait to actually track the thing with proper tires on it.

I really don't understand why the two cars are being compared in this conversation; they're entirely different. If you're looking to impress people with HP numbers and neck-breaking straight-line speed, the Hellcat is your car... and a great one at that.

Cheers,

Ronnie

Come to MB...you'll probably appreciate the Hellcat...at least where I am, there's no way to enjoy a Polestar - unless you're at a bar where the drinks are cheap and the women get dirtier with every sip.  Hellcat all the way (and it'll be a cold day in hell before I drive either... :'( - so I'll never know.).  All we got here is straight. And more straight. Only time you have a turn is when you want to go back home.

I have a ton of track and race car experience.

Sniff...I have none...but I can do worse on gas than anyone here with the same car...does that count for anything?

The Polestar Wagon is more of a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde kinda thing. In regular mode, it's as docile and plain Jane as your average luxury sedan. Hit the Sport mode and the it wakes the hell up

Just like my Fusion! But without the Hyde stuff...or the cool exhaust note...

I think it would be awesome to have a day where our readers get to play around with some of the cars. It's one thing to read about them, it's another thing to experience it. I think it'd be a great article to get reader impressions/reviews on the same cars.

I'm sure for anyone who could do it, it'd be a most glorious day.  I'd be in...but, well...you know...I'd have to check with my wife...and I'd have to find mine first...

;)

I got a few chuckles from your reply! Have an upvote thingie!
If it shifts, it drifts.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2015, 08:55:35 pm »
Nancy-boy? Haha. I don't really find that an insult, but yeah, I'll take that! I'm pretty nancy-ish sometimes. I do enjoy American muscle as well. In fact, so much so that I have an American V8 in my RX-7. My next track car will hopefully combine "'Yurpeen" chassis with another American V8. It doesn't have to be one or the other!

I'm just yanking your chain. You're alright.  ;D

I still think it's stupid that the Mustang didn't win something. They did a bang up job on this version.

And I still like the Challenger even though it's too big and fat to be a proper pony car. Lots a charisma. The old squareback Volvos had it, the current ones leave me cold. Too much German in them.

Yeah, I do take these awards with a grain of salt. I agree with a lot of the choices if we're looking at the big picture. These AJAC awards look at everything, not just how much fun the car is to drive. They take into account price, fuel economy, options, all that stuff. I'm sure the results would be different if it was awards based on performance, emotional appeal or how much of a boner it gives you.

I adore the new Mustang. Both the V8 and the Ecoboost. It's on the top of my list for affordable 'Murkin muscle.

I would love an '80s Volvo 240 wagon with a Polestar engine mated to a slick Getrag 6-speed box and a Ohlins suspension. I'm a boxy syle kinda dude. It doesn't get any better than the '80s and '90s for me in the style department. Truly.
Lol.  I had a 242GT with a Ford 5.0 HO swap.  That was a fun car, but the chassis could not keep up.  Still was fun pulling up to muscle cars and revving that V8 make them all do a double take.

Offline mikesvl

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Passat 1.8T
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2015, 01:19:55 pm »
So all of Europe and US vote the Golf as the best new car; this makes sense to me - investment in MQB ultra stiff and light platform, 1.8T base engine with direct injection, low pressure turbo and low manufacturing cost making great tech avail through affordability, and completely integrated technology system but Canadians vote for a car with a port fuel injected old 2.5L (outdated over 10-years ago), a CVT and a homely interior.  Congrats Subaru, I guess your to be congratulated for your lack of investment in technology but great marketing....

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2015, 01:33:39 pm »
I'll take on an old fashioned port injected engine that lasts over a DI engine that requires expensive de-carbon treatments any day.  Thank you Subaru for waiting and now about to adopt the reliable dual-injection system that Toyota has used (Toyota also avoided the DI band-wagon and now builds a system that's the best of both)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
I'll take on an old fashioned port injected engine that lasts over a DI engine that requires expensive de-carbon treatments any day.  Thank you Subaru for waiting and now about to adopt the reliable dual-injection system that Toyota has used (Toyota also avoided the DI band-wagon and now builds a system that's the best of both)

^^^This!!! I'll take Subaru AWD and reliability over a soft closing ash tray door anyday.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2015, 02:37:02 pm »
Agreed.  But it appears that some manufacturers have had more success with DI than others.

For sure, I like Toyota's implementation of both DI and port injection.  Benefits of both worlds.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2015, 02:40:05 pm »
For sure, I like Toyota's implementation of both DI and port injection.  Benefits of both worlds.

Indeed. Seems like the simplest and most robust solution to the problem. I wonder what the upfront costs are to make it dual injection vs a straight DI.

Then again, one has to hand it to the Germans for pushing the limits. Someone's gotta do it ;D
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!