Author Topic: 2015 Toronto RV Show  (Read 7587 times)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: 2015 Toronto RV Show
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 08:33:58 pm »
1920 includes the people on board though.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2015, 08:34:24 pm »
Nope, but I've seen my fair share of fancy motorhomes. You can get some absolutely crazy stuff and spend some serious coin ($2 million +) on a motorhome if you're so inclined.

Are you looking for a regular trailer or a fifth-wheel?

Hate motorhomes, Dad has had 2.  Finally thinking of getting rid of his A class, in the next 2 years.. Not a fan of fifth wheels either.  I want something a little more than a tent, but don't like hassle of pop-up.  So 17-20 feet travel trailers.

That's why I like the A-Liner.  Yea, it's a pop-up...but not in the same sense.  Up/Down in about 1 minute.  Rigid walls.  Secure.  Easy to tow.

I have seen them, inside/out.  The real premium in the price is the low weight.  One side has a dinette, that folds down for two.  Other side is a double bed or queen.  Nothing special, build quality is good.  But I can get that in the R-Pod as well, for similar pricing.  With a Rockwood mini-lite, weighs a bit more, but there is a U-shaped dinette, a bit more space, for the same kind of money...

But thats why I go to the show.  To re-evaluate.

The larger A-liners have pop outs from the rigid roof now for more space...usually on the dinette side.  The one I used didn't have that feature.  Yea..I liked them for their light weight.  Could tow the smaller ones with a compact car.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2015, 07:39:10 am »
Yes, but I am trying to stay away from canvas if possible.  Which is why i am not looking at tent trailers, or the hybrids (like the rockwood roo).  I won't be looking to buy till 1-2 years.  But I am hoping to make up my mind by this spring.  So I can keep my eye out for good prices. 

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2015, 07:59:49 am »
we've got a year or two before pulling the trigger as well.

I know for sure that I don't want any canvas / pop ups.   Many of our trips are not pack go, stay, come home.  They're more like about hitting up a bunch of places on a 2 or 3 week trip.
The pop up makes it not much different than a tent when it comes to dealing with rain and packing wet.

Friends of ours just replaced their pop up with an R-Pod.  They advised if you're going to get a pop-up, you should have a place to store it inside.  Somehow, overtime they got a tiny leak and things got damp inside.
If they wanted to head out camping, it meant opening it up and cleaning the entire thing / airing it out, prior to leaving.   So they didn't camp as much because it was a PITA.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2015, 09:07:02 am »
we've got a year or two before pulling the trigger as well.

I know for sure that I don't want any canvas / pop ups.   Many of our trips are not pack go, stay, come home.  They're more like about hitting up a bunch of places on a 2 or 3 week trip.
The pop up makes it not much different than a tent when it comes to dealing with rain and packing wet.

Friends of ours just replaced their pop up with an R-Pod.  They advised if you're going to get a pop-up, you should have a place to store it inside.  Somehow, overtime they got a tiny leak and things got damp inside.
If they wanted to head out camping, it meant opening it up and cleaning the entire thing / airing it out, prior to leaving.   So they didn't camp as much because it was a PITA.

Yeah, but you have a lot less restrictions than I do.  Since you bought the Tacoma.  I am trying to hang on to the van for at least 3 years.  But my travelling will be fairly close within the first 3 years... 150km to 500km max (one way) mostly. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2015, 11:33:42 pm »
Yes, but I am trying to stay away from canvas if possible.  Which is why i am not looking at tent trailers, or the hybrids (like the rockwood roo).  I won't be looking to buy till 1-2 years.  But I am hoping to make up my mind by this spring.  So I can keep my eye out for good prices.
You don't have to get the canvas dormers. They are merely an option. Without them, you get sky lights.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2015, 02:41:46 pm »
You don't have to get the canvas dormers. They are merely an option. Without them, you get sky lights.

can you put a racking system on the roof of those?   like for bikes / canoe?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2015, 06:16:41 pm »
^^I know the Evolution models have a front racks...big enough to put an ATV on.  I think it has a back rack too which you certainly could put a bike rack on.

Also look into "Chalet" trailers.  Similar to A-liner...expect their dormers are rigid.