Author Topic: First Drive: 2015 Mini 5 Door  (Read 9674 times)

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: First Drive: 2015 Mini 5 Door
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2014, 08:00:53 pm »
so that would be like shifting the car yourself into neutral?

I don't think it's quite the same. If you put an automatic into neutral, the torque converter is still being spun by the engine.

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 10:51:57 am »
Countryman anyone?!?!?!?
Is this still a MINI? It is the same for MINI as Fiat 500L to Fiat 500.
Bombastic

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 11:06:03 am »

Nope, coasting is more efficient, when the fuel injection cuts of there is still engine braking which slows the car down quite a bit. I like this feature. While I prefer manual I would consider auto just for this feature. Nice car, high on my list as a future used car.

Not according to Popular Mechanics: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/alternative-fuel/news/coasting-in-neutral-fuel-economy .

And Car and Driver talked to engineers from Toyota and GM who said the same thing: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/gas-pains-mileage-myths-and-misconceptions-when-coasting-to-a-stop-do-not-shift-into-neutral-page-3

And who says engine braking is a bad thing? It's what you want on a long or steep hill, or if you're coming to a stop.

Coasting in gear is good if you're trying to maintain or reduce speed down the hill, but I find you end up wasting more gas making up for lost potential speed when that hill flattens out or directly leads to an uphill. I'm not sure if you know but BC has a few hills and over the years I've found the most fuel efficient methods of driving.

I coasted and got the following in my road trip last year: 5.7L/100km Vancouver to Kamloops via the Coquihalla Hwy, 4.7 L/100km Kamloops to Banff via TransCanada, and 4.8L/100km from Calgary all the way to Surrey via TransCanada and Coquihalla, on a single tank of gas. In fact I drove another 70km after that and finally filled up 49.3L at the 1,004km mark.

Of course there's that hill on westbound before the snow shed and even at 4th (out of 6) gear, I have to use the brakes or else I'd be up at 180km/h in no time.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 11:07:34 am by DKaz »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 11:13:06 am »
Coasting in gear is also good when you're approaching a red light not too far away. I try to judge how long before the light turns green, how far away I am, how quick am I going to get there at current speed, then how much should I slow down so I roll through that light when it turns green.

Of course give yourself some margin of error so if you misjudge when the light turns green, you can stop. Keep in mind to that some lights will not turn green until you get on that sensor.

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 03:34:28 pm »
^^ Right. If you're coasting in gear, the fuel injection shuts off and you're not using any fuel.

If you're coasting in neutral, you're probably on the brakes (wasting potential energy by turning it into useless heat) and using gas to keep the engine idling.

In a perfect world, it might be best to coast in neutral and never touch the brakes, letting the car get up to whatever speed it can - 140-160-180km/h - then coast on the flats until you get back to your 110 km/h, but between traffic and cops, that's not really an option.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2014, 03:55:34 pm »
In a perfect world, it might be best to coast in neutral and never touch the brakes, letting the car get up to whatever speed it can - 140-160-180km/h - then coast on the flats until you get back to your 110 km/h, but between traffic and cops, that's not really an option.

Brakes are the worst. If you have to brake, go in gear first and use brakes as a secondary method of slowing down. If you don't need to reduce your speed or have to speed up (in the case of a downward incline), coast in neutral.

"I wasn't speeding all the time, officer." That works, right?

Check out ecomodder.com and cleanmpg.com, they have some hardcore hypermilers there. You may not incorporate their techniques (engine off coasting for example, yikes) but you get a sense of what works for them and try to mildly incorporate it in your driving. I used to drive from Mission to Coquitlam BC a lot and when traffic was not heavy, I would go down to 70, speed up to 98 (80 limit, 99% of the time in BC on the highway, cops will not bother going for speeding tickets up to 20 over), and then coast back down to 70, rinse and repeat. With that method, I would go on average 6.3 to 6.7L/100km in my Mazda 5 rated 8.1 L/100km highway. Going an average 80-85 all the way, I would do 6.7L/100km at best.

I rarely do this though because 1. It bugs my wife for me to gas coast gas coast gas coast, I would subconsciously do this once in awhile and she would tell me to quit it lol 2. I won't do this if there are cars behind me, 3. It takes a bit of brain power.

So the technique I use more is find a throttle level that'll keep me going at whatever speed on a flat then stick with it uphill or downhill.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2014, 08:57:29 am »
A grown up version of the biggest MINI ever!  It continue to be an overpriced (German engineered) least reliable (British rooted) vehicle without real competition here...