Author Topic: Comparison Test: Compact Hatchbacks  (Read 18576 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: Comparison Test: Compact Hatchbacks
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2014, 05:06:17 pm »
A three door Trendline with the cruise and cold weather packages is a strong contender for my next car.

I didn't know that heated seats were optional on 3 door trendline!!!    wow.

but it's still a pretty good car.

Can't argue with $24k on the road.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2014, 05:22:32 pm »
poor Kia...always gets dogged for fuel economy...the cars were 9.6, 9.8 and 9.9...IMO, a wash...i'd say that all three are pretty comparable in fuel economy, and neither would really be better or worse than another.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2014, 06:22:52 pm »
I would also like to add too, that I'm surprised after 2 months of ownership that one thing I don't like about the Mazda is the 2,5 litre engine. I feel that the 2 litre is the better pair with the Mazda 3 even if it is slightly down on power. The 2,5 vibrates a bit too much (you can feel it through the brake pedal, go figure), doesn't sound particularly pleasing to me in the upper rev range, and is a bit thirsty. On a recent mountain drive, I actually got tired of the engine buzzing around at 5000rpm as it made its way up a 9% gradient and shifted up early. And is 192bhp (184hp) all they could get out of 2,5 litres?

I test drove the car multiple times and the details above are not really something you get on a test drive ("Do you mind if I take this on a 150km mountain drive? Thanks!") but there's still a few rough edges that the Golf doesn't have.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2014, 07:17:21 pm »
On a recent mountain drive, I actually got tired of the engine buzzing around at 5000rpm as it made its way up a 9% gradient and shifted up early. And is 192bhp (184hp) all they could get out of 2,5 litres?
they could get more out of it, but it would sacrifice fuel economy to do so.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2014, 07:20:06 pm »
On a recent mountain drive, I actually got tired of the engine buzzing around at 5000rpm as it made its way up a 9% gradient and shifted up early. And is 192bhp (184hp) all they could get out of 2,5 litres?
they could get more out of it, but it would sacrifice fuel economy to do so.

Yep. Would be interesting to see what kind of fuel economy a turbocharged SkyActiv 2.0 tuned for 200 hp/200 lb ft would get.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2014, 07:28:42 pm »
i often use the 1.6L engine Nissan uses in the Versa as an example...it gets better fuel economy than the 1.6L engine in my Rio5...the Nissan has 109 HP, my Kia has 138 HP...it simply comes down to what you (the consumer) want.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2014, 08:47:01 pm »
with only one option missing: an automatic transmission. That was a bold move, but in character for the brand known for the catchphrase I refuse to ever utter or type. (Side note: please move on, Mazda.) That’s right, manual transmission aficionados aren’t relegated to the lower trims or denied any of the options or engines (the 2.5L SkyActiv in this case) that shiftless shoppers can opt for. Bravo.
See, that disappoints me.  The transmission differences always end up being part of the equation, and Mazda was smart - they knew that an automotive journalist would prefer the stick.  It doesn't matter.  I love you guys and know that you compare things well, but there's just that visceral feeling of driving a stick that makes the competition a little loaded, making your job all the more difficult.  I can only imagine how distraught you are ;)

So, I continue reading...reading...reading...and:
3rd Place: 2015 Mazda3 Sport GT
:o :o :o
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?  I still haven't read a single word beyond "GT" as quoted above, but there's...just...WHAT?!  They even sent you a stick!!!!!!!!!!! 

I knew that you guys always review well!  Nice to see the Mazda not win a comparo for once :P

And those titles were won before Mazda was blessing Canadian buyers with a crisp-shifting six-speed manual transmission in the top trim of their sporty compact hatchback – now they’re really going to fly off the lots….
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

In this test, the beloved Hiroshima hatchback took only two category wins: cargo space and transmission
Yup...there it is.  I knew it was coming.

compromises ingress and egress to both front and rear passenger spaces, and limits visibility when parking.
Wholeheartedly agree.  Difficulty in outward visibility, ingress/egress, and seat comfort are the biggest complaints of mine with the MIL's Mazda3.

at $29,980, lowest priced in test.

:o :o :o

HOLY CRAP.  Seriously, when did cars get to be so damn expensive?!  At $29,995, you can get a base WRX!!!  Oh wait, no more hatch ;)  Sorry, that was a crack at the lack of a hatch.

the Forte5 still lacks in refinement
My take on most Kias mirrors this.  I really have come to like their strategy of value, engineering advancement, and what seems to be decent (at least acceptable) reliability.

...but Kia/Hyundai just don't seem to be getting the whole refinement thing down.  Look at the dashboard.  Functional?  Absolutely.  Pretty?  Dear lord no.  It's a sea of black plastics with little accenting.  It looks like a 2001 Subaru interior, maybe a little rounder.  Red backlighting is also a big let-down. 

The leather actually looks and feels like leather, not like the Forte5’s, which might have come from plastic livestock.

...but you hit the word "refinement" when you discuss the power delivery of the little turbo: ok acceleration, ok, keeping up, POWAHHHHH, ok, running out of steam.  I disliked it in the Mazda CX-7 and I would continue to dislike it anywhere.  Turbo cars shouldn't have a "whoosh" of power in the middle - it should build evenly, and I understand that's what the vee-dub's 1.8T does very well.

Rumour has it that when Senior Editor Yarkony eats his Alpha Bits cereal in the morning, he sets aside the Vs and the Ws until the end because they’re special letters to him.
:rofl2: :rofl2:

But we are biased. As Mr. Yarkony states, “We are biased in favour of refined, well-rounded vehicles that also offer an enjoyable driving experience.”
I agree.  I think you're absolutely right.  This is why people buy the Lexi, the Bimmers, the Audis, etc.  It's not about luxury by features (because Kia would kill it!), but about as Lexus coins it, "the pursuit of perfection."  I would argue that this is what makes the Corolla/Civic/F-150/Camry/Accord etc best-sellers: they've been around the longest, been refined the most, and have developed a reputation for excellence.

VW has a reputation for building greatly-engineered cars, refined to the tee, but reliability remains suspect.  Hence my concern when I found out that they were going to start manufacturing in Mexico - another unknown (not a racial/cultural slur).  I felt the same way about Toyota building in Cambridge, and Subaru in Indiana - at the beginning, they're unknowns, but over time, they can develop consumer trust. 

No word yet on whether it will imbue Corolla-like reliability.
I'm not a huge fan of the reliability of the products coming out of Toyota's Cambridge plant though, to be honest, and I think the "Corolla-like" reliability has faltered.  I think the new gen will bring that back up after Toyoda got all pis$y about Toyota's reputation, but there are some years that were allowed to fall too far.

In any event, I would have ranked:
1) Golf
2) Mazda
3) Kia
...because refinement matters most to me.

Great comparo, as always!

As a final thought, the 'cheapest' Golf I could live with is the 5-door, 1.8T auto, with cruise control, that is ~$24k with destination (everything but HST).  For that, I'm not sure I prefer this over an Impreza, which has AWD, sunroof, etc. in Sport guise.  As it always goes for me, VW = great engine and handling, 'meh' rest of car.  The Mazda is too polarizing (i.e. pisses me off with driver's seat and outward visibility), and the Kia isn't refined.  But that's because if I'm spending $30k on a car, I will nit-pick every little thing. ;D

Is Yarkony getting an early start on Movember? 
The flower-power rims don't help the cause, JY ;)  I'm excited to do Movember for the first time this year - in the past, work has expressly forbade it because courts don't like the 'unkept' look of facial hair.  Apparently, they relaxed a little in recent years and my bosses now allow it.  They pay me, so I do what I'm told.

Re: fuel economy, I know how hard you sirs drive on these comparos...I won't ruin any surprises, but 9.6L/100km isn't great given what ya'll got in some 6-cyl AWD powertrains in larger cars...

??? :rofl2: What is again that you do for a living?

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2014, 11:00:43 pm »
I send him cheques to praise our reviews. 

;D
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Heathrow

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 6
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2014, 09:39:21 am »
I don't understand the observed fuel consumption numbers (9.6 for the golf). Last month, in the 4-day review, the observed fuel consumption in mixed driving was 6.7 for the Golf. How much did you guys drive the sh.. out of these cars?

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2014, 10:17:54 am »
Noted on the KIA:  'driving position is awkward and uncomfortable'.  Shouldn't that be one of the highest priorities?  I don't care what the outside looks like if you're uncomfortable in it everyday.

I have to give VW props for continuing the classy styling and not allowing any ginormous grille fungus to creep in.  I think the Comfortline with just the multimedia package is a sweet spot, except the sunroof with the vented cover is a feature I'd really like... I would get the trendline but the balloon tires are awkward looking to me.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2014, 06:02:32 pm »

Kia should forget doing a separate hatch for the Forte-line and just bring over the Pro_cee'd/GT, preferably, the Aussie-tuned version which is better than the UK or Euro-tuned versions.

Looks a lot better than the Forte hatch, has a nicer interior and drives better, albeit pricier.

Hyundai/Kia are working on a new 250HP 4-banger which will go nicely with the DCT (maybe for the next gen Pro_cee'd?).

something like this (snapped this photo in Ireland earlier this year)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2014, 01:20:03 am »
Noted on the KIA:  'driving position is awkward and uncomfortable'.  Shouldn't that be one of the highest priorities?  I don't care what the outside looks like if you're uncomfortable in it everyday.

I have to give VW props for continuing the classy styling and not allowing any ginormous grille fungus to creep in.  I think the Comfortline with just the multimedia package is a sweet spot, except the sunroof with the vented cover is a feature I'd really like... I would get the trendline but the balloon tires are awkward looking to me.

Comfort line with Convenience Package

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2014, 09:49:24 pm »

Yes, but surely no manufacturer sets out to create a car with "an awkward and uncomfortable" driving position.  One man's comfort is another man's awkward.  While Jonathan and I both agreed that it was the least pleasant place to sit, it doesn't mean everyone would find it that way.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2014, 10:20:18 pm »
I agree that the ergonomics in the third gen 3 is not as good as my second gen. 29 extra horses and 37 extra ft-lb of torque with just a 0.5L/100km penalty in fuel consumption would be nice, but I'd probably rather move up to the Mazda 6 next time around.

Should have your choice of trim level, colour, discounts, etc. as most will still be on the Mazda lots at year end

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2014, 10:23:19 pm »

Yes, but surely no manufacturer sets out to create a car with "an awkward and uncomfortable" driving position.  One man's comfort is another man's awkward.  While Jonathan and I both agreed that it was the least pleasant place to sit, it doesn't mean everyone would find it that way.

Are you saying that people can have an opinion different than the car reviewer's.  Crazy talk.  :P

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2014, 10:23:28 pm »
Is Yarkony getting an early start on Movember? 

We begged him to shave it off. He won't. Right now he looks like a now-dead Russian dictator...

If he shaved just the ends, he'd look like a now- dead German dictator. Which would be appropriate given his love for "the peoples' car"...

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2014, 09:32:58 am »
I'm not a huge fan of the reliability of the products coming out of Toyota's Cambridge plant though, to be honest, and I think the "Corolla-like" reliability has faltered.

not to defend Toyota but just to clarify, do you mean actual reliability or fit and finish?
I would agree on fit and finish.  My 2011 Matrix had a few areas where the sheet metal panel gaps didn't quite match up perfectly.  I had a tiny rattle in the door after a while and the HVAC dials started having a lot of play in them (not solid feeling).   
But in terms of reliability, the car had zero issues.  All fit and finish that didn't really meet my expectations.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2014, 10:52:54 am »
Don't know if anyone built one of these on vw.ca but a Trendline 1.8t manual can be had for 250/month all in on a lease with nothing down (in places where tax is only 5%).

That's a pretty damn affordable

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2014, 11:15:35 am »
Don't know if anyone built one of these on vw.ca but a Trendline 1.8t manual can be had for 250/month all in on a lease with nothing down (in places where tax is only 5%).

Isn't there only one place with a 5% tax? Still a good deal though assuming it isn't a super low KM lease.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2014, 11:32:40 am »

Isn't there only one place with a 5% tax? Still a good deal though assuming it isn't a super low KM lease.

Haha I thought there were a few more provinces with just GST.  Maybe not.  That was based on a 16,000kms/year lease.