Author Topic: Motoring Memories: The Joy of Beaters  (Read 9602 times)

Offline phazotron

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Montana SV6
Re: Motoring Memories: The Joy of Beaters
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2014, 10:06:22 pm »

It wasn't just bad, it was blackhole levels of suck.

That's a funny line!  :rofl: :rofl2:

I have got to find a way get that into some report or presentation.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2014, 10:56:57 pm »

It wasn't just bad, it was blackhole levels of suck.

That's a funny line!  :rofl: :rofl2:

I have got to find a way get that into some report or presentation.

:rofl2: Agreed, great line.

Offline Brendan McAleer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: WRX
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2014, 11:57:11 pm »
my first car was a 78 Rabbit...back in the day, i also owned several Chevettes, a Celica, a Chevy Van, a Nissan Sentra XE coupe, a Mazda MX-6 GT Turbo and a Mustang (just a 4cyl beater though, not the GT)...i also had a variety of motorcycles too.

The MX-6 GT was so tough it deserves honorary beater status. I had one - ran a 14.2 on crappy all seasons. I smoked a guy with a B20 swapped Integra when it had 300,00kms on the clock in a 1/8 mile drag race. Great car. Miss it.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Motoring Memories: The Joy of Beaters
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2014, 12:29:59 am »
my first car was a 78 Rabbit...back in the day, i also owned several Chevettes, a Celica, a Chevy Van, a Nissan Sentra XE coupe, a Mazda MX-6 GT Turbo and a Mustang (just a 4cyl beater though, not the GT)...i also had a variety of motorcycles too.

The MX-6 GT was so tough it deserves honorary beater status. I had one - ran a 14.2 on crappy all seasons. I smoked a guy with a B20 swapped Integra when it had 300,00kms on the clock in a 1/8 mile drag race. Great car. Miss it.

I loved those turbo MX6s.  Awesome cars.  Almost bought a used one 10 years ago with the passive 4 wheel steering.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2014, 02:24:50 pm »

I loved those turbo MX6s.  Awesome cars.  Almost bought a used one 10 years ago with the passive 4 wheel steering.
yea, that Mazda was quick...i checked the spec online a while ago and it said it only had 148 horsepower (or something like that)...sure felt quicker than that...my buddy had a Z28 (late 90s) and we had a spirited drive to TO one day for a work related meeting...ironically enough, my car consumed as much fuel as his did (we were driving quite enthusiastically)...in the end though, the transmission decided to grenade itself...something must have come loose as it blew a hole in the side of the housing and dumped fluid and parts all over the road in front of my friends house (wasn't doing anything bad at the time either, which made it equally odd that it failed then)...i couldn't get a replacement transmission for it (used) and needed a car, so my friend traded me his beater Mustang straight up...drove that Mustang for 5 years and only had to put $85 into it...my friend finally found a transmission for it 8 months later and went to Texas to pick it up (i think it was like $150 or something like that)...i couldn't wait that long for a car, so i had to give 'er up...if a transmission was available here, he would have done it for me.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2014, 05:41:13 pm »
My new approach is buy new, or buy @3yrs old with significant depreciation (harder since 2008) and sell at 8yrs.
this is how i often suggest some to purchase domestic vehicles...my buddy recently purchased a 2012 Focus sedan...while not 3 years old, it came at a significant price reduction for a decent low mileage vehicle.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2014, 09:56:49 pm »
I used to really enjoy driving cars into the ground.
My MAZDA 323, 626 and 89 Accord SEI all went to the junkyard after 14+ years on the road.
I decided two things that would keep me from doing this again:

1) Oil or coolant burning smell is unhealthy - the 323 burned coolant and the Accord burned oil. I should not have tolerated breathing in as much of those odours as I did
2) Beaters can actually cost a fortune to keep on the road - I used to joke that Mazda was a "back-end load" investment. Slightly cheaper new or used but they would get you with continued low resale and enormous used part pricing. Highlights included $850 for a distributor, a price so laughable for a wiper motor that the garage refused to order it, approx $1000 in parts and labour to install new brake lines (the old had rusted out) so the shop made custom lines and routed them around the gas tank for significantly less.

My new approach is buy new, or buy @3yrs old with significant depreciation (harder since 2008) and sell at 8yrs.

To successfully be a true beater driver you have to fix them yourself and know your local pick-a-part very well.  Auto shop class is an important course every kid should take.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2014, 02:00:26 am »
I used to really enjoy driving cars into the ground.
My MAZDA 323, 626 and 89 Accord SEI all went to the junkyard after 14+ years on the road.
I decided two things that would keep me from doing this again:

1) Oil or coolant burning smell is unhealthy - the 323 burned coolant and the Accord burned oil. I should not have tolerated breathing in as much of those odours as I did
2) Beaters can actually cost a fortune to keep on the road - I used to joke that Mazda was a "back-end load" investment. Slightly cheaper new or used but they would get you with continued low resale and enormous used part pricing. Highlights included $850 for a distributor, a price so laughable for a wiper motor that the garage refused to order it, approx $1000 in parts and labour to install new brake lines (the old had rusted out) so the shop made custom lines and routed them around the gas tank for significantly less.

To successfully be a true beater driver you have to fix them yourself and know your local pick-a-part very well.  Auto shop class is an important course every kid should take.

Hallelujah. .....you havent lived till youve done a roadside, MacGyver repair on a dead car on your way to somewhere important.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2014, 11:04:21 am »
Or been stranded on the side of the highway because the brakes heated up and seized.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2014, 12:20:36 pm »
But think of the stuff you've learned and can do.  Have you never wacked a dead starter with a tire iron and then driven home in comfort while a regular person would be standing there in the cold waiting for a tow truck?

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2014, 12:22:16 pm »
I've had a few beaters over the years, the last was my Audi 90q20v, the previous owner couldn't get it to pass emissions, I bought it for $400 and drove it for 3 or 4 years after changing a intermittently bad injector. 
You can often get higher-end cars at great prices if you can fix them yourself. 
Mr Pickypants

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2014, 02:32:30 pm »
I had a 76 Civic  that would not run in the rain.  Trips involved a lot of strategy.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2014, 02:48:22 pm »
But think of the stuff you've learned and can do.  Have you never wacked a dead starter with a tire iron and then driven home in comfort while a regular person would be standing there in the cold waiting for a tow truck?

My jeep needed the whack the starter plan.....it was hilarious seeing peoples faces.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Offline Brendan McAleer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: WRX
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2014, 03:42:46 pm »

yea, that Mazda was quick...i checked the spec online a while ago and it said it only had 148 horsepower (or something like that)...sure felt quicker than that...

Oh, the deal there was that it made that power rating at the wheels, and 190lb/ft of torque. At the steering wheel. I cranked the boost up to 18psi with a mandrel-bent exhaust and a re-chipped ECU, Supra fuel pump and a few other thingies. Fun car - I miss it.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2014, 04:36:24 pm »

My jeep needed the whack the starter plan.....it was hilarious seeing peoples faces.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

had that happen with my pacer... called a bud in the shop and he told me to do that... i responded, "great! so what part is the starter?"... worked though.

so as you say.. lots of learning.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
Motoring Memories: The Joy of Beaters
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2014, 08:05:02 pm »
Think my most memorable beater was a 87 ford tempo. I bought it off the Ford dealer I worked at as a kid for $100, it was rough and had nearly 300,000 kms but it ran well.  I drove that car to Kelowna B.C for a summer holiday with a few buddies, another guy brought his 91 Mazda 626 turbo coupe. I drove the junk out of that old tempo trying to keep up with that Mazda in the mountains, we hit road construction and the 626 promptly overheated, then by the time we got to Kelowna the alternator crapped out. On the way back home Mazda blew a cam seal spewing oil out all over the highway, he had to get the car towed to the next town where it spent the next four days and over $1000 getting fixed. I felt so proud my $100 beater outlived my buddies 110,000 km seven year old excellent condition car.

The little tempo served me well over the following winter. I never did spend any money on repairs. I sold it in the spring for $250. Gotta say it was one heck of a tough little car.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2014, 08:38:47 pm »
The little tempo served me well over the following winter. I never did spend any money on repairs. I sold it in the spring for $250. Gotta say it was one heck of a tough little car.
my buddy had a couple of them...while they weren't "cool" by any means, they were tough...my Mustang had the same 2.3L 4 cylinder engine in it and it was quite durable and even decent on gas.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2014, 11:09:25 pm »

Did that too.  ;D

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2014, 11:20:51 pm »
my buddy had a couple of them...while they weren't "cool" by any means, they were tough...my Mustang had the same 2.3L 4 cylinder engine in it and it was quite durable and even decent on gas.

Actually the 2.3L engines were different. The Mustang had a Pinto derived OHC unit.

The Tempo had a 2.3L derived from the old Falcon six cylinder. They basically chopped two cylinders off the end. So OHV. Why? Not idea but I've heard the Tempo motor was tuned to torque and apparently the 2.3L Pinto motor's factory was already at capacity.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2014, 12:46:09 am »
ah...well, either way...the 2.3L in my Mustang was pretty bulletproof...still ran great when i traded it in 2000 and it had about 300,000 kms on it.