Author Topic: Preview: 2015 Subaru WRX  (Read 20299 times)

Offline chignectohead

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-195
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda6 2.5t
Re: Preview: 2015 Subaru WRX
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2014, 09:45:58 am »
Well, for all the bile ejected by the howling dogs in this thread, what is the reality of the new WRX?

None of us bar journos have driven it, of course. Apparently, however, the ride has been firmed up far beyond the outgoing model, it pulls 0.95g on the skidpad, the 6 speed manual shifts much better, and the CVT has the real VTD centre differential drive, like my Leggy GT.

Motor Trend found it ate the Focus ST for breakfast, so the GTI is going to struggle against it as well, new Mark VII or not. So the new WRX is better than the old one. I couln't stand the old styling, it looked like an alien from outer space to me and about as subtle. Plus there haven't been any negative reviews of any consequence, the engine is much more flexible than the old EJ and doesn't surge, even if it has less ouright power at full steam. Get the new STI if you want high rpm go and the real 6 speed.

The engine has roller rockers unlike the Forester XT, and the CVT has the planetary gear centre diff instead of yes, none, just the ancient MPT in the Forester.

Price $29,995 for the cheap model, where I don't have to pay for a sunroof, crap navi, leather seats and so on. I think I'll have one of these bland little devils.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2014, 09:26:38 am »
Well, for all the bile ejected by the howling dogs in this thread, what is the reality of the new WRX?

None of us bar journos have driven it, of course. Apparently, however, the ride has been firmed up far beyond the outgoing model, it pulls 0.95g on the skidpad, the 6 speed manual shifts much better, and the CVT has the real VTD centre differential drive, like my Leggy GT.

Motor Trend found it ate the Focus ST for breakfast, so the GTI is going to struggle against it as well, new Mark VII or not. So the new WRX is better than the old one. I couln't stand the old styling, it looked like an alien from outer space to me and about as subtle. Plus there haven't been any negative reviews of any consequence, the engine is much more flexible than the old EJ and doesn't surge, even if it has less ouright power at full steam. Get the new STI if you want high rpm go and the real 6 speed.

The engine has roller rockers unlike the Forester XT, and the CVT has the planetary gear centre diff instead of yes, none, just the ancient MPT in the Forester.

Price $29,995 for the cheap model, where I don't have to pay for a sunroof, crap navi, leather seats and so on. I think I'll have one of these bland little devils.

I think you're missing the point here.  The WRX used to be about combining fun driving dynamics with practicality, a great looking design and relatively inexpensive all wheel drive. 

Subaru has now moved away from that mentality by removing the sportback version and upsizing the design to the point where it's looking like an ass-heavy Camry from four years ago.  Sure, the car's still inexpensive and will likely be a blast to drive but for anyone who was shopping for one or had one in the past, the departure from core Subaru traits is a deal breaker.  I'm one of them. 

It's funny this thread was bumped now since over the weekend I had drinks with a buddy that's a salesperson at a local Subaru dealership.  Naturally, we got talking about the upcoming WRX and from the sounds of it, everyone from the sales director on down is very worried about how this new design will affect their ability to move cars off the lot. 

This may be anecdotal but according to him, about THREE QUARTERS of this particular dealership's WRX and STI sales consisted of the 5-door model.  Without that option, they're left with what exactly?  Folks going to other vendors for that mix of practicality and driver satisfaction. 

Also, did you see the fuel consumption numbers for the CVT?  It's a disaster.  In a market where 6-speed+ automatics are getting better gas mileage than manuals, Subaru thinks its OK to hook their car up to a transmission that spits out gas mileage of 26/36 city / highway.  Compare this to the 6-speed manual's 29/40 and it becomes obvious that Subaru is either carrying over their ancient CVT from previous generations or they simply picked the wrong transmission for their volume sales. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:32:03 am by SKYMTL »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2014, 12:40:46 pm »
Also, did you see the fuel consumption numbers for the CVT?  It's a disaster. 

You're actually a bit wrong on that front.

While the estimated fuel numbers (19/25 MPG) seem horrendous, especially considering that the manual does better (21/28 MPG), Subaru admitted that those numbers are for S#, and "I" mode would produce numbers similar to the manual.  They could only provide one set of numbers and opted for the more conservative ones.

I actually applaud Subaru for its transparency - they could have given fuel economy numbers like they did for the Forester XT, and now everyone will be disappointed that when driven constantly in S#, the fuel economy numbers are nowhere near the published figures.  They expect that the Forester will be left in I, but they also expect that the majority of persons buying a WRX will leave it in S# for the most part.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2014, 12:46:37 pm »
Also, did you see the fuel consumption numbers for the CVT?  It's a disaster. 

You're actually a bit wrong on that front.

While the estimated fuel numbers (19/25 MPG) seem horrendous, especially considering that the manual does better (21/28 MPG), Subaru admitted that those numbers are for S#, and "I" mode would produce numbers similar to the manual.  They could only provide one set of numbers and opted for the more conservative ones.

I actually applaud Subaru for its transparency - they could have given fuel economy numbers like they did for the Forester XT, and now everyone will be disappointed that when driven constantly in S#, the fuel economy numbers are nowhere near the published figures.  They expect that the Forester will be left in I, but they also expect that the majority of persons buying a WRX will leave it in S# for the most part.

Pretty sure that transparency hasn't been carried over onto their website. 

http://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?WebSiteID=282&WebPageID=19113&utm_source=Subaru_Homepage&utm_medium=Banner&utm_campaign=2015_WRX_STI_EN

No mention of their numbers being attained in S-mode. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2014, 12:53:36 pm »
Where on that website that you refer to does Subaru indicate anything about fuel economy at all?  I can't find it.

Subaru has stated that at many press events, though I can't produce any websites that would support that claim.  I heard/read it somewhere and didn't make it up myself.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 12:58:02 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2014, 01:05:23 pm »
Where on that website that you refer to does Subaru indicate anything about fuel economy at all?  I can't find it.

Subaru has stated that at many press events, though I can't produce any websites that would support that claim.  I heard/read it somewhere and didn't make it up myself.

Actually, you are correct.  They do make it apparent in the fine print: 

* Fuel economy numbers are measured in the Sport Mode (S) of the SI-DRIVE engine management system. Increased fuel economy can be achieved with Intelligent Mode (I) activated.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2014, 03:36:35 pm »
oohhh, didn't see that there were multiple pictures and captions.

I am a little surprised to see 19/25MPG in "S" and not "S#" - I would have thought to have it in I or S# for fuel economy numbers...

:O MAYBE THIS MEANS THE WRX WILL DEFAULT TO "S" MODE AND NOT "I" MODE?  EXCITED NOTO!!!!!!!  YAY!!!