Author Topic: Canadian Car And Utility Of The Year Finalists Announced  (Read 8190 times)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Re: Canadian Car And Utility Of The Year Finalists Announced
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 11:03:19 am »
umm.....  all outer city  highways in AB are 110km/h limit.    still won't engage 9th gear on the jeep(if 130 speed requirement is correct).
:bow: I'm moving to AB!  Stupid Ontario :(

Tooscoops, you know that's still false advertising - ok, so it does HAVE 9 gears, but if one isn't usable within the legal limits of the roadways for which it is intended, then the buyer does not have USE of the top gear, making it effectively an 8-speed, which may sway a buyer.

It's kind of akin for me to say that your theoretical salary is $100,000, but you are only making $19.62/hr - so you'd have to work 98 hours per week (14 hours per day) to earn it.  Well, the Employment Standards Act says that you need 11 hours off between shifts, legally (I, personally, work 14 hours per day, but I cannot be paid for overtime for those extra hours - hence why I'm on autos.ca :D).  So though it's your theoretical, you could never reach it if you follow the law.

It may be a stupid example, but same idea.  If you were wooed into that line of work, being told you would make $100,000, but then you realize that you can't legally earn it, then how would you later feel?  I'd be effing pissed.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 02:09:58 pm »
This is an adaptive transmission as most are these days. It may not be readily going into 9th because it has adapted to journalists wailing on it during their reviews, so it is using sportier maps.

Using P245/65R17 as the tire size (29.5" diameter), the 3.25 final drive and 0.48 9th gear and a road speed of 65mph, I get an engine speed of roughly 1155rpm. Definitely a gear for flatland use only. Every gear from 6th to 9th is an overdrive gear. Hard to believe.

http://www.powerblocktv.com/resources/
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2014, 04:20:38 pm »
I read somewhere that 9th engages in the 80 mph (130 kph) range, which is perfectly legal on some U.S. interstates.

I won't say how fast I was going, but I should have been able to engage ninth.
Did you speak to an engineer from Jeep about the problem, maybe the vehicle was broken  ;D

I did actually, and the issue was met with indifference.
I wonder if that jeep should be in this pile waiting to be fix http://blog.caranddriver.com/cherokee-undergoing-final-powertrain-calibration-deliveries-to-begin-shortly/

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2014, 11:57:46 am »
a little late here noto, sorry bout that.

i really don't feel that is false advertising by definition, or even by conjecture. the fact of the matter is that the transmission, the part in question, has 9 gears. does it? yes. your example would be fine if they advertised the transmission as always being in 9th gear at highway speeds. at no point ever has that been even hinted at.

as air has said (and i mentioned earlier), there was a documented issue with early launch cherokees for these issues. so to me, the point is a non-starter. add to that sir-o's point regarding the adaptive tranny and i think a mountain is being made out of a mole hill... that is actually not even there.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now