Author Topic: Mitsubishi NA VP (Re)Announces Partnership With Renault On D-Segment Sedan  (Read 2140 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Galant replacement will be provided by Renault Samsung, built in South Korea

Read More...

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
What's the point of being a car manufacturer if you aren't manufacturing / designing your own cars?

At this rate, I don't see Mitsubishi making it in North America past 2020.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
The current Renault Laguna and Renault-Samsung SM5 were launched in 2010. I don't think either set any benchmarks at the time. Now they're both getting pretty dated.

I think Mitsubishi is fading away.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Wow....thats an absolutely bland car.....there is absolutely no brand identity at all, couldnt tell you who made it.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
Wow....thats an absolutely bland car.....there is absolutely no brand identity at all, couldnt tell you who made it.

yet it looks 10 times better than the previous Galant!

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
I found this more relevant:
A small sedan based on the Mirage is also under “strong study” for the U.S. market, Swearingen said. Other product updates include adding a 2.4-liter four cylinder engine to the Outlander Sport to complement the compact crossover’s existing 2.0-liter engine, plus a new continuously variable transmission for the 2015 model year update.
It sells well around here and would definitely benefit from a bigger engine and presumably less rubbery CVT.
As for the Renault part, in this economy automakers need to sell every new developed model by the million to pay back the R&D costs. Mitsu is too small to roll on it's own and such a move may actually save them. And Samsung? I'd guess their interest in cars is linked to their battery business and possibly future market share in autonomous and infotainment technology. Smart way to enter a NA car market.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
I found this more relevant:
A small sedan based on the Mirage is also under “strong study” for the U.S. market, Swearingen said. Other product updates include adding a 2.4-liter four cylinder engine to the Outlander Sport to complement the compact crossover’s existing 2.0-liter engine, plus a new continuously variable transmission for the 2015 model year update.
It sells well around here and would definitely benefit from a bigger engine and presumably less rubbery CVT.
As for the Renault part, in this economy automakers need to sell every new developed model by the million to pay back the R&D costs. Mitsu is too small to roll on it's own and such a move may actually save them. And Samsung? I'd guess their interest in cars is linked to their battery business and possibly future market share in autonomous and infotainment technology. Smart way to enter a NA car market.

Samsung has been in the car market since the 90s.  You just don't hear about them on this side of the world.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Samsung_Motors

Looks like their sales have been suffering too.  Maybe this will cause both to Samsung and Mitsubishi to sink.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 06:15:06 pm by mixmanmash »