Author Topic: Mazda Delays SKYACTIV Diesel Again, This Time Indefinitely  (Read 8094 times)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Mazda Delays SKYACTIV Diesel Again, This Time Indefinitely
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 12:23:43 pm »
Damn, I hate to be right on this one. The Skyactiv D was simply "vapourware" for NA. Good concept, but obviously the company has no real intentions to differentiate itself and offer consumers REAL choice. How they have slipped.

What makes you think Mazda was not sincere in trying to offer diesel to North America.  You think they want the bad PR of promising a diesel on to have it delayed, then delayed indefinitely.  Blame the government for having different emissions regulations than Europe.  I would rather have them delay it or not bring it, then to have them bring it, the consumer buy it, and we have problems with it.  Recalls, TSB, etc....  Mazda is pretty good for their lack of recalls.  They care about their rep...

Except, of course, when it comes to rust.  ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2014, 12:37:23 pm »
Damn, I hate to be right on this one. The Skyactiv D was simply "vapourware" for NA. Good concept, but obviously the company has no real intentions to differentiate itself and offer consumers REAL choice. How they have slipped.

What makes you think Mazda was not sincere in trying to offer diesel to North America.  You think they want the bad PR of promising a diesel on to have it delayed, then delayed indefinitely.  Blame the government for having different emissions regulations than Europe.  I would rather have them delay it or not bring it, then to have them bring it, the consumer buy it, and we have problems with it.  Recalls, TSB, etc....  Mazda is pretty good for their lack of recalls.  They care about their rep...

Better than driving a FGC with tons of lights on the dash!   :rofl2:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 01:31:03 pm »

Id rather have to repair a few rust patches once in a blue moon then drive around with enough dash lights to light up the Trans Canada ala FGC  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2014, 01:36:23 pm »

Id rather have to repair a few rust patches once in a blue moon then drive around with enough dash lights to light up the Trans Canada ala FGC  ;D

At least the FGC companies will cover their issues under warranty (and often beyond with goodwill). From what I understand Mazda has spent most of the last decade bobbing and weaving and hiding behind fine print when it comes to their widespread rust issues.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 01:45:16 pm »
I bet from what you understand, every Mazda model has holes in the metal after they hit 5 years, its so exaggerated.  Limited mostly to protégé, some first 1 generation Mazda3, and the MPV.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2014, 01:47:08 pm »
I bet from what you understand, every Mazda model has holes in the metal after they hit 5 years, its so exaggerated.  Limited mostly to protégé, some first 1 generation Mazda3, and the MPV.
I thought it was after the first year  :rofl:

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2014, 01:51:52 pm »
I thought it was after the first year  :rofl:

you must have that mixed up with the Toyota recalls over sticking gas pedals and defective floor mats...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2014, 01:55:09 pm »

Oh...I thought they were built with rusty metal so the process started right when its built....

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2014, 01:56:52 pm »

Nope, not at all. Just that Mazda seems to have way more rust issues than normal and there are lots of stories of them refusing to acknowledge the problem or come good for it. They build some nice looking cars but that's enough to make me look elsewhere. FWIW I had a friend with a RX 8 ('05 or 06 I think) that had the rear wheel arches start to rust at less than 4 years old. Mazda wasn't interested in hearing about it so he did the repairs at his own expense and sold the car.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2014, 02:02:09 pm »

Nope, not at all. Just that Mazda seems to have way more rust issues than normal and there are lots of stories of them refusing to acknowledge the problem or come good for it. They build some nice looking cars but that's enough to make me look elsewhere. FWIW I had a friend with a RX 8 ('05 or 06 I think) that had the rear wheel arches start to rust at less than 4 years old. Mazda wasn't interested in hearing about it so he did the repairs at his own expense and sold the car.

And I see some newer Civics and Camrys with rust on the hood, and wheel well.  Haven't seen any first generation Mazda6 or Mazda5 or Tribute with rust.  You check out used reviews on any of those vehicles, rust won't be an issue mentioned by owners.  On the first generation Mazda3, yes you would.  Has the issue been addressed, yes...  We have had enough threads on this topic, you want to look elsewhere go ahead. 

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Mazda Delays SKYACTIV Diesel Again, This Time Indefinitely
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2014, 03:20:52 pm »

Lol.  I can attest to the fact that I have never had a dash light come on in the 332k+ kms on my Protégé.

Meanwhile, my dad's 2000 M-Class has thrown many in the 150k+ kms he has owned it.  Mostly simple repairs that didn't cost much, but annoying nonetheless:

1. Low oil level warning because of a faulty sensor covered warranty.
2. CEL because of faulty MAF covered under warranty.
3. SRS Airbag sensor because of faulty sensor in seat covered under warranty.
4. 4ETS + ESP light because of a faulty brake pedal switch. $15 part and 5 mins to replace.  Diagnosed and repaired by myself.
5. BAS + ABS light on because of a faulty relay.  $25 part and 5 mins to replace.  Diagnosed and repaired by myself.

But, like sailor723 mentioned, a lot of times Mercedes Benz has covered things off warranty as a part of goodwill.  Like the time the rear springs/shock absorbers had to be replaced with such relatively low mileage, MB stepped up to the plate and covered it despite not being under warranty.  All it took was one email to their customer service department at the head office and the responded immediately letting us know they were looking into it and would get back to us in 48 hours.  And, they did.

However, I never had an issues getting items covered under warranty for my Protégé, but they were minimal: wheels replaced due to finish peeling, loose drivers side seat track replaced because of excessive play, and a stabilizer bar end link replaced.  Last 2 items were covered under the extended warranty, for which I definitely did not get my money's worth considering how reliable the car has been to date.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 03:24:02 pm by mixmanmash »