Author Topic: Tonight on CBC Radio 1 - This American Life on Car Dealerships.  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
Tonight on CBC Radio 1 - This American Life on Car Dealerships.
« on: December 22, 2013, 11:31:46 pm »
This is a fascinating behind the scenes look at life at a Long Island Dodge/Ram/Jeep dealer.

"We spend a month at a Jeep dealership on Long Island as they try to make their monthly sales goal: 129 cars.  If they make it, they'll get a huge bonus from the manufacturer, possibly as high as $85,000 — enough to put them in the black for the month.  If they don't make it, it'll be the second month in a row.  So they pull out all the stops."

Photo Gallery: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/at-the-car-lot/

Audio: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/513/129-cars
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
Re: Tonight on CBC Radio 1 - This American Life on Car Dealerships.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 07:09:49 pm »
Nothing really groundbreaking or revealing here, but interesting to listen to nonetheless. My biggest takeaway: buying at the end of the month really is the way to go. The cars these guys were selling by the end of the month were all going out the door below cost. Next time I buy a car, I might just pay a visit to the lot on Halloween...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 07:33:44 pm »
The salesman is the tiger, and the customer is the deer. The tiger has to eat, and you can't eat if you don't kill that deer. You have to go for the neck. Don't allow him to leave. But if you try to kill him too early, the deer will wake up and run away.”

:rofl2:          :fiver:

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 07:41:59 pm »
The salesman is the tiger, and the customer is the deer. The tiger has to eat, and you can't eat if you don't kill that deer. You have to go for the neck. Don't allow him to leave. But if you try to kill him too early, the deer will wake up and run away.”

:rofl2:          :fiver:

psk.   saleman is at best a hyena..  pesky vermin circling lion's hard earned kill(money)

of course, i'm just stating the opposite side of that view quoted.

it's easier to deal when person buying and selling show due respect and treat each other like humans.   ;D

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D