Author Topic: Edmonton dealership exploited naiveté, says car buyer  (Read 13072 times)

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
Re: Edmonton dealership exploited naiveté, says car buyer
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2013, 10:54:12 am »
love how i'm being raked along the coals by ten and rocket for saying the same thing as everyone else (which you seem to agree with)...

and hey, i'm one of the few actually saying that the dealerhship should be looked at as half at fault!

ah well.. seems like you guys have your opinions and no matter what i say, i'm wrong, even though i'm just saying another opinion. i like to think i'm at least polite about it and refrain from underhanded personal attacks.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2013, 12:19:29 pm »
I won't let it bother you.  TD, a pillar of Canadian business  ::), underwrites car loans on absolute used JUNK (vehicles that have no chance of making to the end of the loan term) @ 24%.   So who is worse?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2013, 12:31:11 pm »
I won't let it bother you.  TD, a pillar of Canadian business  ::), underwrites car loans on absolute used JUNK (vehicles that have no chance of making to the end of the loan term) @ 24%.   So who is worse?

We have a dealer in town, Mac James motors, thats one of those "bankrupt, cant get credit, rebuild your credit, well finance you" type of dealers, have financing rates of 20+%. I cant believe that they exist, its like buying a car on a high interest credit card.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline my2cents

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Rav4 AWD
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2013, 01:29:33 pm »
This is a commercial for the station's consumer advocate. They always make themselves look good no matter how stupid the complaint is.

I've seen the same thing many times on CTV.

The company always settles to avoid the publicity no matter how wrong the complainant is.

Did anyone click on the video on the left? She wears two different wigs in the episode.

The dealer is to blame. They should have a checklist.
 "Can the door open wide enough for customer to wedge themselves in? Don't expect customer to figure it out."

I can't picture how she is scraping the paint off the door sill or how two of the same car makes a difference.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2013, 02:07:08 pm »
You know, when i first read this story I just naturally thought "Oh, just another underhanded, sleazy car dealer story".

Now I'm thinking there seems like enough blame to go around. More along the lines of ......"Sleazy dealer meets person too stupid to be allowed out without a keeper"
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2013, 02:18:50 pm »
just wached the video on their website. http://www.cbc.ca/edmonton/go-public/

i feel bad for the lady... but judging by the difficulty getting in and out of the car, it's just a matter of time before she does trade it in and lose lots of money anyway on a car that she can get in and out of easier.

you can try to protect people from themselves, but eventually, they will break through your safeguards. teach them to prevent this stuff rather than help them get out of their mistakes.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2013, 08:02:52 pm »
We have a dealer in town, Mac James motors, thats one of those "bankrupt, cant get credit, rebuild your credit, well finance you" type of dealers, have financing rates of 20+%. I cant believe that they exist, its like buying a car on a high interest credit card.

Try 34%. 

Title loans in the USA run 300% annualized.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
!
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2013, 08:08:29 pm »

Try 34%. 

Title loans in the USA run 300% annualized.

:o :o :fall: HOLY CRAP!!! Its like buying a car with a loan from the mob!!!

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2013, 08:22:39 pm »
Lol I just watched the video. Her "Loaded" Corolla was a CE with the enhanced convenience package. She basically moved down to a bare bones CE.

A minivan may be better but I don't know if ANY front door would swing wide enough. You can tell she has mobility issues. My advice to her would just be to deal with it.

They have these in Japan, but behind RHDs the sliding doors are on the passenger side. Would be cool if this was on the driver side. Make it power open as well, it'd be perfect for this woman. Not sure how it would fare in side impact collisions.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2013, 10:42:36 am »
catering to those with special needs is never a good idea for a car manufacturer... those in that kind of position are often in financial need as well. (not a slight against anyone.. it's just harder for them to make a buck with the systems in place).

i don't know the packaged well enough to know that it was only a ce plus! ha! those guys are worse than old used car dealers... "loaded Loaded, LOADED!!!"

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2013, 07:20:53 am »
catering to those with special needs is never a good idea for a car manufacturer... those in that kind of position are often in financial need as well. (not a slight against anyone.. it's just harder for them to make a buck with the systems in place).

i don't know the packaged well enough to know that it was only a ce plus! ha! those guys are worse than old used car dealers... "loaded Loaded, LOADED!!!"

Many people have a strange idea of what "loaded" means.I think that dealers like to use that word to convince people they are getting more car than they are. Especially today where the amount of standard equipment is pretty high even on a base model. You don't see a lot of cars with no AC, wind up windows any more.

I've replied to ads asking "You say the car is loaded..does it have sunroof, leather, dual climate control?"

No..but its loaded with everything else power windows and locks, air ..it has a ton of features

I see thousands of Total Loss settlements in my job every year and the number of people who don't even know that their car is the lowest model of 4 but want a return based on the highest model is astounding.

LOADED means ALL options (or at least all non conflicting options) I hate seeing "Car is loaded except for leather, sunroof,dual climate control and luxury package"
Its like saying "car is completely roadworthy except for no tires, broken windows and blown engine.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2013, 12:48:25 pm »
i was thinking on my drive in this morning about what *one* option everyone feels makes a car qualify for "loaded" status...

to me, i'd say leather.

had a similar situation crew... customers who wanted extra-clean blackbook for their journey trade. put in an R/T awd with leather, roof, 7-pass., dvd, nav, etc and 25000km on the blackbook site. turns out they had a 4cyl, 5 pass, cloth, fwd, base model with every option stripped(no mats, steel wheels), an accident and double the kms... but i was "playing games" with them because the value of their car was half of what they expected.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2013, 12:53:43 pm »
To me if someone says "loaded" I think Denali type of equipment, leather, heated/cooled seats, sunroof, nav, best stereo, basically you ticked all the boxes when you bought it. To me power windows/locks, air, tilt and cruise are a basic car.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2013, 01:07:21 pm »
LOL there's a radio commercial on in ottawa now.  Ford F-150 XLT LOADED, cruise control, power windows, air conditioning come and get it only $27,999

FACK!!!!!!!  That's not loaded a loaded F-150 is like $70k lol

Also madenning looking at Prius V ads lately.  Loaded model only $28,000.  Wow awesome!  Until I see cloth seats... ummm that's the base model not even the next package up!

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2013, 01:13:51 pm »
LOL there's a radio commercial on in ottawa now.  Ford F-150 XLT LOADED, cruise control, power windows, air conditioning come and get it only $27,999

Also madenning looking at Prius V ads lately.  Loaded model only $28,000.  Wow awesome!  Until I see cloth seats... ummm that's the base model not even the next package up!

Oh, it's loaded alright, loaded with fecal matter straight from the marketing dept and / or dealership.  :P
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2013, 01:43:05 pm »
luckily, i have access to our on-line ads... i change a lot of the verbiage into normal, true speech... probably hurts us though, as people are so used to caps lock and text diarrhea... i think they actually believe some of it.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2013, 01:44:57 pm »

I like the used car ads that simply say "fully loaded with air".... ???

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2013, 01:52:29 pm »
To be fair, a base model Prius already comes with so much stuff like auto climate control, auto lights, etc.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2013, 01:55:44 pm »
had a few jeep laredo ads read "LOADED!".....

that's the cheapest, lowest equipped model grand cherokee you can get. how is that loaded? lets see... you can get that car for 40k... also can get a grand cherokee up to 74 grand... so 34 thousand dollars... on top of a loaded car? that thing better fly! and i don't mean go fast... i mean literally fly.

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2013, 02:09:00 pm »

Is there a difference between a "base" XLT and a "loaded" XLT?
Does the loaded XLT get more options.

For example
When I think a "base" CX-5GT, it's just the regular GT model.
When I think "loaded" CX-5GT, It would be similar to mine which would includes the tech package.

I do agree that the term load is being used too generally these days.