Author Topic: GM Will Check Off Wishlist Item With Diesel Colorado, Canyon  (Read 7612 times)

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
Re: GM Will Check Off Wishlist Item With Diesel Colorado, Canyon
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 12:41:52 pm »
definitely get that... just had a call from a lady... started with, "i don't want to sound dumb..." so i knew it would be good...

just moved and her truck doesn't really fit in the garage... was wondering if there was an option on rams that was narrower and shorter than her 1500 bighorn...

i was disappointed because it wasn't that dumb...

oh, and...
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 09:11:31 am »
People are just realizing this?  I thought it was quite obvious with "full-size" trucks getting bigger ever generation, that it gets harder and harder to load them, drive them, and park them.  Can't remember the last time I saw a truck in a garage.  And trucks are common in my area, not like the US are Alberta, but pretty common.  But they use the garage for junk, or the commuter car.  My garage can fit a Sienna, but not my father in laws 2011 F-150 (Access Cab).

Have to agree with other posters.  Sometimes the main purpose isn't to save money vs a full size, but for easy of driving, loading, parking, less needs for that person vs a full size.

Kind of like the current discussion of the microvan vs the Grand Caravan. The Grand Caravan SE Canadian pkg, is much cheaper, can tow, more capability, seats 7 better than the microvan.  But there is still a small market for the microvan. 

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 10:42:34 am »
we have a house from the 50s and the garage would fit nothing bigger than the RAV4 (2009)
I had less than an inch top clearance and had to get in close to the passenger side wall so the driver side door could even open 3/4 way.   I know we'll never fit a truck inside.   Yet, if you think of the vehicle from the 50s ---- makes you wonder why the garage is so small!!!!

The wife's car gets the garage in the winter anyways.

Now that would be awesome.....doubt that will happen. If they have a 4x4, crew cab, diesel, truck with a 6 foot box, I think that would eat into their 1/2 ton trucks huge. It will probably have some stupid little 5 1/4 foot box or smaller and be priced high. GM is not stupid, their 1/2 tons are their bread and butter, they dont want buyer confusion.

I think if GM wanted to take on the Tacoma they'll do it.   As mentioned before, you can buy a 1/2 ton truck for the price of a loaded Taco.  So why not go head to head on price and features.   That way I'm sure GM would still make big bucks on the truck and it would most likely not eat up the 1/2 ton sales very much???

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2013, 11:06:55 am »
Small and mid size trucks should do every better (except tow) then large trucks.  They don't because automakers spend huge amounts improving full size trucks and next to nothing on the smaller ones.  The Ranger barely changed in two decades and the Tacoma is headed that way.

What we need is a company to decide to take the lead and build a good smaller truck.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 03:46:08 pm »
Ranger barely changed in two decades and the Tacoma is headed that way.

What we need is a company to decide to take the lead and build a good smaller truck.

while i realize the Taco hasn't seen that much change... but heading for no change in two decades?
 :think:

Having the chance to be in my friend's 2002 (ish?) Taco and his new 2013 - they're even the same vehicle anymore.  Sure the Taco can use some updates, it's been a while.... but aside from squeezing better mileage, i'm not sure what you want?

You can get a 2013 Taco with a the creature comforts of just about any non-luxury SUV.
(leather, NAV, bluetooth, 7 inch screen, backup camera)   Sure the engine hasn't changed much (why should it, it's dead realiable) and the tranny hasn't (this ok)... but really.... what needs to change?

BUT you're right the most work has gone into making the 1/2 ton better.
when they start getting the same fuel as the small trucks, that's an issue for me.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2013, 04:57:02 pm »
Trucks this size where appealing:

The current Taco is too close to a full-sizer to really bother with. The overlap in price and fuel consumption doesn't help either.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2013, 04:59:22 pm »
Trucks this size where appealing:

The current Taco is too close to a full-sizer to really bother with. The overlap in price and fuel consumption doesn't help either.

Yes they certainly were.....cheap, tough as nails, easy to repair, decently economic.....today...no...just no.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2013, 07:14:28 pm »
Ranger barely changed in two decades and the Tacoma is headed that way.

while i realize the Taco hasn't seen that much change... but heading for no change in two decades?
 :think:

Having the chance to be in my friend's 2002 (ish?) Taco and his new 2013 - they're even the same vehicle anymore.  Sure the Taco can use some updates, it's been a while.... but aside from squeezing better mileage, i'm not sure what you want?

You can get a 2013 Taco with a the creature comforts of just about any non-luxury SUV.
(leather, NAV, bluetooth, 7 inch screen, backup camera)   Sure the engine hasn't changed much (why should it, it's dead realiable) and the tranny hasn't (this ok)... but really.... what needs to change?

BUT you're right the most work has gone into making the 1/2 ton better.
when they start getting the same fuel as the small trucks, that's an issue for me.

I said it was heading in the direction of the Ranger, it's not there yet but no replacement is here yet either.  I test one of the current generation when it came out.  That was almost nine years ago and nothing major has changed.

When I drove it then I thought the engines felt dated and rough and the truck overall felt heavy and ponderous (for the lack of a better word).  I liked the previous generation better and did not buy one then.  Certainly wouldn't buy one now.

I agree with Sir Osis.  The earlier size but with a modern drivetrain made much more sense.  I drove a 1988 Ram 50 Extracab 2wd for 10 years.  It got 8-10 L/100 km real world mileage and despite only weighing 2750 lbs had a payload of 1540 lbs and a 6 foot bed.  The extracab wasn't really meant for people but it was great for cargo and my dog.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2013, 09:35:52 am »
^^^

I haven't driven the new Taco yet, but was in the back for a long trip to Vermont.  I was honestly very impressed at how smooth it was.  Almost as much as the Ridgeline.   The truck was less rough than my Matrix!!!   I do find it a little expensive and would very much welcome a transmission update, along with improved fuel economy.   Rumours had a full redesign coming for late this year but that's obviously not going to happen, so who knows when.  Perhaps these new GMs will push Toyota to improve their truck.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2013, 02:02:33 pm »
Smart of GM to do it. At $1.40+ (little less for diesel) gas it will be a hit around here. Besides I dig the styling:
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/54330/2013-holden-colorado-on-sale-in-australia
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2013, 02:46:59 pm »
so 6 foot bed with the extended, but not 4 door? makes sense. just over 5 feet on the bigger cab... hmmm... a bit small there. but i guess a bed extender or tailgate down and it can take most of what you would need to haul (plywood, drywall...)

looks pretty good in the holden variation.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2013, 03:15:35 pm »
A spy video from TFL :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBPEw0ItTok

Now this looks interesting, seems to be based on the same platform and resembles a GX:
Any ideas what it is?

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2013, 05:36:07 pm »
Smart of GM to do it. At $1.40+ (little less for diesel) gas it will be a hit around here. Besides I dig the styling:
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/54330/2013-holden-colorado-on-sale-in-australia

Today gas was $1.18, diesel $1.28 by Kingston On

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2013, 06:01:04 pm »
Whats your point?  In winter diesel is about 10 cents more, in summer diesel is 10 cents cheaper, it's a wash, in Canada.  Not the US.  Better drive, better torque, still better fuel efficiency.... Should have been done years ago, we just take a long time...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2013, 06:52:43 pm »
The market exists for a MINI truck .... Ranger like.  Nissan should move on this with a Mexican supplied unit. 

GM should not use the Colorado/Canyon name.  I don't understand it because those units where JUNK.  IMO, these new "7/8s" will only compete with GM's 1500 series because the difference in cost will be marginal.  ::) ???