Author Topic: First Drive: 2014 Porsche Panamera S E-Hybrid  (Read 3265 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2014 Porsche Panamera S E-Hybrid
« on: October 29, 2013, 06:29:06 am »

The world's second fastest plug-in hybrid Porsche.

Read More...

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
Re: First Drive: 2014 Porsche Panamera S E-Hybrid
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 09:08:08 am »
" Best of all, should you stumble across someone in an all-electric machine, you can make friends with them. That is, if you can catch them." that's kind of funny & makes this vehicle seems like an elephant on roller skates vs other electrified competitors.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 09:44:03 am »
Yeah, I'm happy these things are made, but no, I'd never buy one.  Still, I'm not convinced that a plug-in hybrid is the way to go...I like traditional hybrids better - lighter, cheaper, and very, very fuel efficient.  I think Toyota's use of superconductors in the Yaris Hybrid-R is an interesting route; the electric motors are for handling (vectoring) and boost - not for all-out efficiency.

Still - first you have to get past the look of a Panamera :P  I'm guessing Top Gear will have a field day with this thing.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 11:52:17 am »
Yeah, I'm happy these things are made, but no, I'd never buy one.  Still, I'm not convinced that a plug-in hybrid is the way to go...I like traditional hybrids better - lighter, cheaper, and very, very fuel efficient.  I think Toyota's use of superconductors in the Yaris Hybrid-R is an interesting route; the electric motors are for handling (vectoring) and boost - not for all-out efficiency.

Still - first you have to get past the look of a Panamera :P  I'm guessing Top Gear will have a field day with this thing.

A plugin hybrid is perfect for me - I have a 8 km commute to work.  I could also plug it in at work.  On my average day-to-day driving, I would not be burning a drop of gas.  Only time would be when I have to travel a little longer - visit parents (18 km one way), or long-distance trip.  I think the idea is brilliant - if they could adapt it to minivans - store the batteries under the floor.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 12:40:06 pm »
A plugin hybrid is perfect for me - I have a 8 km commute to work.  I could also plug it in at work.  On my average day-to-day driving, I would not be burning a drop of gas.  Only time would be when I have to travel a little longer - visit parents (18 km one way), or long-distance trip.  I think the idea is brilliant - if they could adapt it to minivans - store the batteries under the floor.

My commute is 13km each way and I have free charging as well.  Still, I would not, at present technology, buy a plug-in.  The initial cost overlay, weight of the batteries, and effects of temperature up here in 'nada lessen the electric-only range (yes, even in a plug-in).  Even if you didn't use a drop of gas, a particularly efficient hybrid that would average 4L/100km would be more economical than spending an additional $6-8k (or more) for the plug-in experience.  Then on top of that, you'd have to pay another $4k for the installation of an at-home charger...which may or may not be vehicle specific.  So, if you were to replace your car in 3 years (lease) or even 15 (drive it into the proverbial ground), you'd have to swap out chargers at another $4k.  Then factor in the cost of electricity, which is not 'free' (unless supplied gratuitously by a third party), and the money just doesn't pay.

Also, the thought of never using a 'drop' of fuel isn't necessarily true either.  If you floor it in a plug-in, even in "EV Mode", the gasoline engine will kick in to give you the power you rightfully deserve.

Traditional hybrids are great compromises between weight penalty, fuel benefit, and in some cases, performance benefits.  All that at a far more reasonable price premium, and no need to charge 'er up.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 09:40:52 pm »
You can get a good level II Schneider car charger from Home Depot for $800. I'd do the install myself, but even getting an electrician in shouldn't run more than $500-1000 typically, depending on whether you have enough spare capacity or not. They use a standard plug configuration (SAE J1772), so don't need to be changed if you should change makes.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/30-amp-indoor-electric-vehicle-charging-station-2nd-gen-enhanced-model/989931
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 09:44:00 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken