Author Topic: Lexus, Toyota, Acura Tops CR Reliability Survey 2013  (Read 7096 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: Lexus, Toyota, Acura Tops CR Reliability Survey 2013
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2013, 02:00:58 pm »

People alleged stupidity aside, if it's harder to use,more complicated,and more distracting than similar control systems in other cars I'd say it's a fair knock against Ford.

Also, if large numbers of Ford's customers have trouble figuring out than Ford has  a problem with the system period.

Ergonomic issues are completely irrelevant to reliability study. I only want to know if something is going to break. I don't particularly care if great uncle Edgar can't figure out how to change suspension settings.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2013, 02:01:38 pm »
As far as I know MFT is a stand alone option is it not?? If Ford had half a brain they would make it optional on everything. It is a huge pain in the ass to use, its counterintuitive and to actually get it to work you have to sit down and learn it. Like I said, I think its useless and a huge PITA to use, but it shouldnt affect CRs reliability rankings.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2013, 02:08:49 pm »

People alleged stupidity aside, if it's harder to use,more complicated,and more distracting than similar control systems in other cars I'd say it's a fair knock against Ford.

Also, if large numbers of Ford's customers have trouble figuring out than Ford has  a problem with the system period.

Ergonomic issues are completely irrelevant to reliability study. I only want to know if something is going to break. I don't particularly care if great uncle Edgar can't figure out how to change suspension settings.

Agree 100%!  If people don't like MFT or find it frustrating to use that's fine......but it's NOT a reliability issue.  Same with the comments in that article on the other vehicles, they have NOTHING to do with reliability! 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2013, 02:28:46 pm »
 ??? Am I missing something. CR is removing its recommended rating and not the reliability rating. There are many cars that are rated high but do not have a recommend check mark. I think you are confusing the two  :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 02:33:18 pm by Snowman »

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2013, 02:42:00 pm »
i think people are just talking about the "10 least reliable cars for 2013" listed by CR...

unless the heading is horribly wrong, i'd say that's the reliability index that has changed.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 03:08:48 pm »
??? Am I missing something. CR is removing its recommended rating and not the reliability rating. There are many cars that are rated high but do not have a recommend check mark. I think you are confusing the two  :)

That's what I wondered. I know CR removed the "recommended" rating from Fords because of MFT's bugs and user unfriendlyness.

OTOH I can see owners responding to the CR reliability survey indicating "problems" with controls or electronics if they can't get MFT to work. Large numbers of owners reporting "trouble" would certainly would show up in the reliability scores.

Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2013, 03:22:21 pm »

They give the Focus a solid black for audio equipment, which is apparently enough to drop it's reliability rating to below average. They include all complaints such as frequent rebooting along with complaints regarding usability: "I can't tune the radio." It muddies actual problems with usability.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2013, 03:24:07 pm »
Another thing regarding MFT, you don't even have to use it for common functions. There are redundant controls on the steering wheel and the voice commands which work really well. They even worked for me, and I'm a mumbler. My Subaru system never knew what I was going on about.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2013, 03:34:25 pm »
Another thing regarding MFT, you don't even have to use it for common functions. There are redundant controls on the steering wheel and the voice commands which work really well. They even worked for me, and I'm a mumbler. My Subaru system never knew what I was going on about.

Yes, but would it work for either one of these guys. Now that would be some speech recognition software !!

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 03:37:25 pm by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2013, 03:35:22 pm »

Yes but would it work for him. Now that would be some speech recognition software

:rofl2: Nice!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2013, 03:57:01 pm »

They give the Focus a solid black for audio equipment, which is apparently enough to drop it's reliability rating to below average. They include all complaints such as frequent rebooting along with complaints regarding usability: "I can't tune the radio." It muddies actual problems with usability.

Which CR site are you on  :) I also see two block dots in 2012-13 for transmission.

"All versions of the Focus are fun to drive. Its supple and controlled ride, low noise levels, and solid interior make it feel substantial. The 160-hp four-cylinder provides adequate acceleration, but the automatic transmission isn't so smooth at low speeds. Both the hatchback and sedan SE versions got 28 mpg overall; the SFE returned 31 mpg overall. The rear seat is tight even by small-car standards, and some controls are needlessly complex. The sporty ST is a wickedly fun performance hatchback with a powerful turbo engine, while the Focus Electric is one of the best EVs available. In our tests we averaged 80 miles of range per charge. Energy consumption was the equivalent of 107 mpg. Reliability has been well below average".

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2013, 04:01:42 pm »

Which CR site are you on  :) I also see two block dots in 2012-13 for transmission.

"All versions of the Focus are fun to drive. Its supple and controlled ride, low noise levels, and solid interior make it feel substantial. The 160-hp four-cylinder provides adequate acceleration, but the automatic transmission isn't so smooth at low speeds. Both the hatchback and sedan SE versions got 28 mpg overall; the SFE returned 31 mpg overall. The rear seat is tight even by small-car standards, and some controls are needlessly complex. The sporty ST is a wickedly fun performance hatchback with a powerful turbo engine, while the Focus Electric is one of the best EVs available. In our tests we averaged 80 miles of range per charge. Energy consumption was the equivalent of 107 mpg. Reliability has been well below average".

Yeah, they have a below average for "transmission, minor". There again, as I mentioned above, does that mean it needed to be repaired, or is it a re-flash or is it something else? Everything else is above average, or well above average.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2013, 04:09:22 pm »

Yeah, they have a below average for "transmission, minor". There again, as I mentioned above, does that mean it needed to be repaired, or is it a re-flash or is it something else? Everything else is above average, or well above average.

It has a score of 71 and right in the middle of the pack. I would not consider that bad, right there with the Civic  :)

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2013, 04:12:44 pm »

It has a score of 71 and right in the middle of the pack. I would not consider that bad, right there with the Civic  :)

That's the result of their road test. I was referring to the reliability study.

But yeah, they've got quite a few positive comments for the car. Personally I like them quite a bit. I'd have no issue getting a Titanium with the manual transmission or an ST.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2013, 04:14:33 pm »

That's the result of their road test. I was referring to the reliability study.

Can't comment on the weight of each dot.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2013, 06:01:46 pm »
As far as I know MFT is a stand alone option is it not?? If Ford had half a brain they would make it optional on everything. It is a huge pain in the ass to use, its counterintuitive and to actually get it to work you have to sit down and learn it. Like I said, I think its useless and a huge PITA to use, but it shouldnt affect CRs reliability rankings.

In our case, very easy to use, configuring less so.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2013, 11:46:35 pm »

The system is IDIOTIC.  They added some remote slider controls for fan and volume, but they sucked too.  Overall MT ruined the vehicle.  Had it for 3 weeks, 2000 miles in California lately.