Author Topic: Angry Drivers and their Colour choices  (Read 4112 times)

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
Angry Drivers and their Colour choices
« on: September 17, 2013, 05:05:04 pm »
When you think about the colour blue, tranquil, cool images generally come to mind. Still waters. Blue sky. It’s a colour associated with peace and serenity.

Not so in Britain. A recent study of 2,837 motorists conducted for VoucherCodesPro, a discount coupon website, revealed that drivers in blue cars were most prone to aggressive driving and bouts of road rage.

Drivers in black cars were second on the aggression list, followed by silver, green and red.

And, on the heels of recent University of California study in which BMW drivers were shown to be less likely to stop for pedestrians at a crosswalk – “BMW drivers were the worst,” researcher Paul K. Piff told the New York Times last month – it was revealed that the majority of those angry blue cars are likely to be BMWs.

In fact, the survey showed that the likeliest road rage culprit, according to the Daily Mail, was a male, aged 35-50, driving a blue BMW. On a Friday. In rush hour. At 5:45 p.m. Yes, it was that specific.

Land Rovers, Audis, Subarus and Vauxhalls were the other car brands most cited for having angry drivers.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/new-cars/auto-news/angry-drivers-like-this-car-colour-the-most/article14307531/

Subarus, eh?  Hmmm, all those angry Vermonters.  Who knew?   :rofl2: :rofl2:
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Angry Drivers and their Colour choices
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 06:03:16 pm »
My wife is a British Import, and when her family come to visit, they make a note of how nicely BMWs are driven here.  They have a widespread rep in the UK as douchemobiles.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 06:12:33 pm »
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/car-tips/why-cant-i-drive-in-the-left-lane-in-quebec/article14086224/

Found this article on the same page.  So they actually ticket left-lane hogs in Quebec.  Can't be all bad there.
Mr Pickypants

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 09:04:38 pm »
Not to deny that some people who appreciate fine cars buy them, but BMW seems to be very sharp at marketing to people with inferiority complexes. 
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 10:02:16 pm »
When you think about the colour blue, tranquil, cool images generally come to mind. Still waters. Blue sky. It’s a colour associated with peace and serenity.

Not so in Britain. A recent study of 2,837 motorists conducted for VoucherCodesPro, a discount coupon website, revealed that drivers in blue cars were most prone to aggressive driving and bouts of road rage.

Drivers in black cars were second on the aggression list, followed by silver, green and red.

And, on the heels of recent University of California study in which BMW drivers were shown to be less likely to stop for pedestrians at a crosswalk – “BMW drivers were the worst,” researcher Paul K. Piff told the New York Times last month – it was revealed that the majority of those angry blue cars are likely to be BMWs.

In fact, the survey showed that the likeliest road rage culprit, according to the Daily Mail, was a male, aged 35-50, driving a blue BMW. On a Friday. In rush hour. At 5:45 p.m. Yes, it was that specific.

Land Rovers, Audis, Subarus and Vauxhalls were the other car brands most cited for having angry drivers.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/new-cars/auto-news/angry-drivers-like-this-car-colour-the-most/article14307531/

Subarus, eh?  Hmmm, all those angry Vermonters.  Who knew?   :rofl2: :rofl2:

But my Subaru is black cherry? WTF does that mean?  ??? ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 10:05:39 pm »

You're prone to anger, but you have a metro sexual side??   :rofl2:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 10:18:39 pm »

You're prone to anger, but you have a metro sexual side??   :rofl2:

Road raging, with style! ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 11:01:19 pm »
Its funny that in England BMW are driven by alpha males while here......nope....holding up traffic, in the fast lane. They cause road rage, but for different reasons!!
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 12:14:43 am »
Lol who's got two thumbs and got a BLUE bimmer?
That's me!

My buddy also had blue bimmer but he never drove like nuts unlike Me.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 09:57:01 am »
i can see the BMW thing.  no offence to BMW owners here (because you're all good drivers, right?)  :P
my father in-law has one and he is classified under Fobroader's comment of driving slow and pissing people off.    But I also see BMWs as the biggest lane jumpers.

now Blue....???
really???   i love blue!!!!
but don't drive a blue car. 

conducted for VoucherCodesPro, a discount coupon website, revealed that drivers in blue cars were most prone to aggressive driving and bouts of road rage.

could we maybe say that blue car drivers are cheap and most likely to frequent discount coupon websites?   BTW what does a discount coupon website have to do with studying driver habits.
sounds like more press PR than actual news?

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 12:38:44 pm »
Punch buggy blue - POW!

I notice more BMW 3 series being driven slowly and hogging the left lane now.   It's is like the Corolla crowd upgraded to BMWs.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 12:41:13 pm »
Punch buggy blue - POW!

I notice more BMW 3 series being driven slowly and hogging the left lane now.   It's is like the Corolla crowd upgraded to BMWs.

:rofl2: Theres something the BMW 3 series marketing team wouldnt want to deal with, "The 3 series BMW, for the Corolla crowd that did better in life!"  ;D

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
Angry Drivers and their Colour choices
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 03:24:07 pm »

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/car-tips/why-cant-i-drive-in-the-left-lane-in-quebec/article14086224/

Found this article on the same page.  So they actually ticket left-lane hogs in Quebec.  Can't be all bad there.

The day they do that here is the day I buy everyone on this board drinks!

I won't hold my breath but I will hold you to your promise should it come to pass.  :-)

It's good to know we do a few things right 'round these parts.  I remember being stuck on the 20 eastbound behind a car with Ontario plates in the left lane.  I flashed my brights & honked my horn to no avail.  He wouldn't budge.  I eventually passed him in the right. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 04:16:35 pm »
I admit I am an angry driver sometimes and I would've bought a blue CX-5 if I didn't get my MDX.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 11:02:16 am »
I've said it on this site before - the BMW 3-series is the Corolla of the entry level luxury class.  Relatively reliable, good performance, badge snobbery, great handling, all without having to think about it when you go out car-shopping, just like buying a Civic or Corolla -- a no brainier purchase driven by lots of recently well-off folks with no brains. 

The exception being the BMW (and any other brand owners - Toyota included) on this forum who love cars and actually research their purchases, buying exactly what fits their needs and budget at the time.

PS - the Aerio is blue, and last week while waiting for a green 'straight - ahead' arrow to turn to a full green while I was waiting (with my indicator on) to make a right turn at a particularly irritating Ottawa intersection, the car behind me honked at me to move, so I put my car in park, lept out and tore the m$therf@cker a new one.  My middle finger gets most of its use in the car.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 11:07:22 am by Scaerio »
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 09:37:31 am »
the car behind me honked at me to move, so I put my car in park, lept out and tore the m$therf@cker a new one.

i can't tell you how many times i've wanted to do this.... but, i always have a vision that it'll escalate into something really ugly.

My dad and his friends were cruising in Florida one winter on their motorcycles.  Some old woman was blocking the middle lane, it was actually causing a jam (we've all seen this)  My dad's friend decided to pull up next to her in another lane and try to wave at her to move out of there.   She looked at him, reached into the glove box and pulled out a gun!!!!!!!  He backed off and she kept to her lane.
 :o

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 11:14:23 am »
The 220D is blue but its sedate accelerate forces you to be a mellow driver.  ;D

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 04:11:16 pm »
the car behind me honked at me to move, so I put my car in park, lept out and tore the m$therf@cker a new one.

i can't tell you how many times i've wanted to do this.... but, i always have a vision that it'll escalate into something really ugly.

Just to note - right turns on red are never allowed at this intersection (for those of you in Ottawa, this part of the bike lane on Laurier nightmare), right turns are only allowed on full green...  Somewhat confusing, but as I live right on this corner, this 'honking' irritation happens to me at least once per week, not to mention the number of right turns on red and on the green 'straight ahead' arrow I witness.  I should just sit on the front steps of condo building for a day and record how many morons can't follow a few simple rules of the road...