Author Topic: Rust Proofing  (Read 2290 times)

Offline m323

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: many
Rust Proofing
« on: September 03, 2013, 09:19:03 am »
is there ANY other kind of rust proofing that DOES NOT drip oil like Exxon Valdez? Like some sort of DRY product?
Ive heard of those electronic devices but don't believe they work and I'm sure they drain the battery too.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
Re: Rust Proofing
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 09:29:17 am »
is there ANY other kind of rust proofing that DOES NOT drip oil like Exxon Valdez? Like some sort of DRY product?
Ive heard of those electronic devices but don't believe they work and I'm sure they drain the battery too.

uhmmm....paint?

i think it really depends.   some undercoat/wax type products will sort of harden and won't drip anymore after few days.

other than that...   i don't know.

electronic devices certainly wouldn't work.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline m323

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
  • Cars: many
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 11:00:33 am »
aquadorhj

It was recommended to me by the body shop.. to undercoat the vehicles after painting. Got my jeep back from undercoating, its been dripping for a week now. leaving it parked on the street.

have one more car at the paint shop and DO NOT want to go through this mess again! wow.

spent 1000's fixing leaks on the jeep, then get it painted, and undercoated.. and now the undercoat leaks all over the driveway!   >:(

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 11:06:32 am »
aquadorhj

It was recommended to me by the body shop.. to undercoat the vehicles after painting. Got my jeep back from undercoating, its been dripping for a week now. leaving it parked on the street.

have one more car at the paint shop and DO NOT want to go through this mess again! wow.

spent 1000's fixing leaks on the jeep, then get it painted, and undercoated.. and now the undercoat leaks all over the driveway!   >:(

I think Krown's application drips for a few days, but they provide you with cleaning stuff if you want.  I'm not sure if they'll charge you for it, though.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 08:53:24 pm »
We Krown our Miatas. Doesn't drip that much.

For our M3, we pay a little more and travel a little further to get Corrosion Free applied at Robinson's Automotive in Mississauga: http://www.robinsonautomotive.com/rustproofing.php  No drip, no mess. If we lived closer by, I think our newer Miata would have had this treatment too (just because I like the shop and I like that the treatment is clean). But Krown is good.

Undercoating is one thing, but it's important to get inside the body panels, to prevent the rust that occurs from the inside out.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 08:55:21 pm by Julie »

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 09:03:21 pm »
Wanted to add: Actually, if it's dripping, that's really good. You know they applied enough!

We bought a $3 tarp and placed it under the Miatas. It dripped for a few days.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 11:20:07 am »
was going to say the same as julie... dripping means its getting into all the areas the water would go... sucks about the clean up, but it's the best way to go...

as for the electronic... on a jeep, if they offer the 100% perforation/surface rust warranty coverage for 10 years, no inspections and all that... it's sometimes a good deal... the actual module is useless, but the warranty is what matters. really all those products are is insurance against rust, and the module is just the quantifiable object you *think* you are buying...

most cars, i'd say don't touch the electronic with a 10 ft pole... but jeep wranglers (and probably mazda's) it might turn out to be the cheaper option!
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline steelchick

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 CRV AWD,2009 Rav4 v-6,2003 Toyota Matrix,2006 Subaru Tribeca,1984 Mustang LX,1975 Mustang Ghia
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 09:48:20 pm »
yeah they tried to sell me a $700 electronic module thing at Honda when I got the CRV
said it would prevent rust
never heard of it- so I asked her just how that would work (it was the financing woman)
she could not explain it

PASSED on that!