Author Topic: Cheap GPS recommendations?  (Read 14806 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Cheap GPS recommendations?
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2013, 03:11:36 pm »
I'm a little surprised that the Garmin units have problems.  I've been using Garmin handheld and watch GPS for many years and found them to be of very high quality.

Offline Travel360

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +5/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2013, 03:14:16 pm »
I'm still using the c330, it just wouldn't die!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2013, 03:18:10 pm »
I'm a little surprised that the Garmin units have problems.  I've been using Garmin handheld and watch GPS for many years and found them to be of very high quality.

Same here.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Travel360

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +5/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2013, 03:24:09 pm »
And her voice is as good as day one! ;)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2013, 03:46:23 pm »
I still would like my car GPS be a stand-alone device. I'm using the latest TomTom with free traffic and map updates. One thing I don't like when compared to Garmin's most expensive unit is Tom's screen resolution, and it was slow at first but that was fixed with the later software updates. I'm very satisfied with the routing quality. Also it powers up automatically once I turn the ignition key, very useful and convenient.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2013, 08:17:14 am »

Same here.

My Garmin unit is still going strong after 6 years. It badly needs a map update but just can't see spending $ to do that when it would cost almost as much as a new unit. The Tom Tom unit I had was used once put away for a month and then same type of thing would not boot. Tom Tom support was one of the worst experiences ever. I will never buy a Tom Tom product again.

Offline Blue01

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2013, 11:53:42 pm »
I see that this thread is staying alive, and now I can add some comments too.

With a major trip planned this year on our motorcycle, two or more weeks as far south as Palm Springs and Phoenix, I quickly realized a gps would be most beneficial.
After a couple of weeks of research and a decision near, Costco jumps in and puts a Nuvi 2455LM on sale for $110 delivered.  And it's CR recommended!
One Garmin Nuvi 2455LM please.
It was delivered yesterday and today it took me across town, successfully!
Gotta love that.
Mounting it to the bike will be easy, and if it rains, a ziplock baggy solves that problem.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2013, 12:13:57 am »

With a major trip planned this year on our motorcycle, two or more weeks as far south as Palm Springs and Phoenix, I quickly realized a gps would be most beneficial.
After a couple of weeks of research and a decision near, Costco jumps in and puts a Nuvi 2455LM on sale for $110 delivered.  And it's CR recommended!
Gotta love that.
Mounting it to the bike will be easy, and if it rains, a ziplock baggy solves that problem.

Does that one have lifetime traffic/updates?

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2013, 06:21:17 am »

Gotta love that.

Does that one have lifetime traffic/updates?
If it's the LM, Lifetime Maps.  LMT=Lifetime Maps and Traffic.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2013, 07:20:12 am »
Me and buds have had Garmins for ages.....decent units...but when my screen cracked..WHAT A PERFORMANCE to get service...worst ever..seems they had abandoned N America for repairs with the exception of a UNIT in California where you had to pre pay $50 to get them JUST TO LOOK AT IT....if it was"unrepairable!!"  tough noogies they kept your Garmin and toodle oooh.........they fixed my screen after about a month and it still won't accept the key board input for new destinations...in OTHER "WORDS" it's useless.....................hope my new unit stays safe...... :-\
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2013, 07:37:30 pm »
Me and buds have had Garmins for ages.....decent units...but when my screen cracked..WHAT A PERFORMANCE to get service...worst ever..seems they had abandoned N America for repairs with the exception of a UNIT in California where you had to pre pay $50 to get them JUST TO LOOK AT IT....if it was"unrepairable!!"  tough noogies they kept your Garmin and toodle oooh.........they fixed my screen after about a month and it still won't accept the key board input for new destinations...in OTHER "WORDS" it's useless.....................hope my new unit stays safe...... :-\

Sorry to hear about such a crappy service experience, bud. I just had a similar one with Magellan. It;s a hiking unit and it came with "free" topo maps. Turned out I needed to give them a visa first (no charges, but that's the procedure WTF!!) and then it took just 5 calls to finally get a download link. I'm a little pissed that I had to give them my ID which is now linked to the device  :foil:

..but when my screen cracked..
Saf, which part of your body did you use to input a location?  :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2013, 07:39:37 pm »

How does your screen crack?  Punching it?  Dropping it?  They seem quite durbale...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2013, 07:40:55 pm »
How does your screen crack?

He looked at it.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2013, 07:58:33 pm »
How does your screen crack?

He looked at it.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!  SWEET!!!

Offline Scarecrow

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +41/-17
  • Cars on the brain
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda6, Mazda MX-5 Miata (sold), Shelby 427S/C Cobra, Triumph Tiger 750
Garmin GPS no longer warns me of red-light cameras
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2013, 01:31:13 pm »
Prior to our family vacation in Alberta-B.C., I ran a system update on my (replacement unit) Garmin Nüvi 50LM to ensure I had the latest maps and whatnot.

But then I noticed something different: our Garmin GPS is no longer warning us of upcoming red-light cameras.

It used to give us a little "boop-boop" whenever we were approaching an intersection equipped with such a camera, but now it doesn't do anything.  The system update didn't "say" anything about this feature being deleted.

What gives?  Has anyone else noticed this with their GPS units?
"Anyone who drives faster than you is a Maniac,
and anyone who drives slower is an Idiot." - George Carlin