Author Topic: Anyone been to Standard Auto Wreckers/live near there?  (Read 4140 times)

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
Anyone been to Standard Auto Wreckers/live near there?
« on: August 08, 2013, 02:44:35 pm »
Has anyone been to Standard Auto Wreckers at 1216 Sewells Road, Scarborough lately? Or live near there?
I want to find out if there are any 1999-2005 Passats or Jettas in their yard.
If not, I'll just drive out there tomorrow before work - but I'm trying to avoid that need.
On the phone they say they don't inventory their yard - which is fair enough really.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone been to Standard Auto Wreckers/live near there?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 03:20:28 pm »
Has anyone been to Standard Auto Wreckers at 1216 Sewells Road, Scarborough lately? Or live near there?
If not, I'll just drive out there tomorrow before work - but I'm trying to avoid that need.
On the phone they say they don't inventory their yard - which is fair enough really.

How could you possibly going "before work"??  I'd be wandering around there for hours just looking around.

If you can get in and out before work, you're a better man than I!!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Northernridge

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 03:22:56 pm »

How could you possibly going "before work"??  I'd be wandering around there for hours just looking around.

If you can get in and out before work, you're a better man than I!!

Maybe 'before work' has some elasticity...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 03:32:11 pm »
It's good to be the king??   ;D

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 03:42:28 pm »
It's good to be the king??   ;D

Well, yes. It is good to be the king! But my plan is to go in tomorrow AM early doors, walk around really quick - see if I see what I need, come back with my $50 on the free parts day Saturday - providing they have a similar model to mine on site.

In a perfect world I see a manual 2001 Passat with a good bonnet and a side-mirror adjustor switch, spend two or three hours ripping the lot out (including pedals, clutch, sensors etc needed for a full conversion, and then wrestle it all out of there ....

I have been known to hope against hope...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 03:55:11 pm »
Thats weird, the Pick and Pulls here all have computerized inventory available  and even the smaller scrap yards have an inventory of stock if you call them. Im with Rrocket....I can never go to a junkyard and just walk in and out....I like treasure hunting. Went for a stop light for my Cherokee once, came out with 4 axles, a rear driveshaft and a gas tank skidplate   ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 04:47:25 pm »
I have been many times.  If I recall correctly, they pile cars according to brand categories.  Finding what you are looking for should be easy, if it is there.

They used to do a $40 day.  Pay $40 to get in, and you can take as much as you can carry out (in one trip).  I've seen guys dragging engines.

Yah, they have a $50 day on Saturday - they say you have to be able to carry it out, and engines/trannies have a $50 core charge - but that shouldn't be an issue. Turns out thought that my particular crank won't take a manual box. Just learned that now. LAAAAMMMEEE

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 04:55:51 pm »
I have been many times.  If I recall correctly, they pile cars according to brand categories.  Finding what you are looking for should be easy, if it is there.

They used to do a $40 day.  Pay $40 to get in, and you can take as much as you can carry out (in one trip).  I've seen guys dragging engines.

Yah, they have a $50 day on Saturday - they say you have to be able to carry it out, and engines/trannies have a $50 core charge - but that shouldn't be an issue. Turns out that my particular crank won't take a manual box. Just learned that now. LAAAAMMMEEE

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 05:25:36 pm »
I live not too far from there. Last time I visited it was mostly old domestics, including tons of old Caravans, Tauruses, Impalas, etc. There were very few import models. That was a bit more than a year ago, though.

By the way, good to meet you yesterday!
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 05:31:11 pm »
Likewise!
You'll be happy to know I remembered to wash my hands thoroughly before using the bathroom.  :rofl2:

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 08:58:41 am »
Likewise!
You'll be happy to know I remembered to wash my hands thoroughly before using the bathroom.  :rofl2:

That may have made for a hilarious story otherwise  :rofl2:

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 09:05:07 am »
So, for those playing at home, I went to SAW this morning for a tour of the yard before tomorrow's big day.
They had the car I wanted, with low ks, and the right automatic in it - but it was sitting on top of another car so there is no way I can pull it out tomorrow.
BOOOOOOOO.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 09:12:01 am »
So, for those playing at home, I went to SAW this morning for a tour of the yard before tomorrow's big day.
They had the car I wanted, with low ks, and the right automatic in it - but it was sitting on top of another car so there is no way I can pull it out tomorrow.
BOOOOOOOO.
Don't give up so easily - Why dont you round up all your journalistic comrades and pull it off the other car, then out the front gate?
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 09:51:29 am »
BOOOOOOOO.
Don't give up so easily - Why dont you round up all your journalistic comrades and pull it off the other car, then out the front gate?
Railton

+1

Let me know if you need my journalistic comrades too. I'm sure we can send over a few hands to help.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 10:33:51 am »
BOOOOOOOO.
Railton

+1

Let me know if you need my journalistic comrades too. I'm sure we can send over a few hands to help.
Make sure one of the comrades writes about it too!
And, we want pics! ;D
Railton

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 04:48:01 pm »
BOOOOOOOO.
Railton

+1

Make sure one of the comrades writes about it too!
And, we want pics! ;D
Railton

I'd be too tired/lazy to write if I've been lugging engines/transmissions out of a yard all weekend.